PDA

View Full Version : Custom cues and the players who own them. :p

shoutout33
06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi all! First post here on these forums and I'm excited as all get out to be a part of of them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, to give a quick summary of myself, I played in some pool leauges about two years ago (APA 8-ball, BCA 8-ball, and TAP Mid-Atlantic 9-ball...), but I quit because of health reasons.

Well, I plan to get back into the game and this time around, I want to get a custom made cue, even if it's a nice looking sneaky pete. Well, as a matter of fact, I do plan to get a sneak pete from a cue maker in my area by the name of Bob Frey. (FYI: Bob Frey was co-owner with Tim Scruggs back in the day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) He is well known for his sneaky pete's, as well as his custom cues.

As far as cases go, I want to own a Ron Thomas case, because he's the only one making the Fellini/"It's George" style cases. His cases are top notch and it's going to be cool to own this style of case considering how hard it is to find a Fellini...in my price range of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now, what I'd like to know from you all here on the forums, is what's in your bag? Now I've seen plenty of custom cues, but I've only had a chance to hit some of the following cues:

-Chris Nitti (really, really, like his work...)
-Tad Kohara
-Predator
-Meucci
-McDermott
-Joss (favorite production cue...)
-Samsara (love their designs...)
-Lambros (I WILL own this cue someday...it just feels right...)
-Viking (their wood-to-wood joint...)
-Richard Chudy
-Black Boar (one of the best looking, best playing cues out there now...)

I'm sure the are some more, but I can't remember them right now. A lot of these cues I hit were at Valley Forge's Billiard Expo, but you get my point I hope. I'm not a beginner at this, so I feel I'm ready to up my game a little when I start back up again. The price of the cue would be $390 even and it'll come with one shaft.

Now, I really don't want to get too caught up with the whole collecting thing, but whatever I do get, I plan to play with it. I'd like to know what the players on these forums feel about paying hundreads and even thousands of dollars for some of the custom cues and (to them...) if they are worth it. Me personally, I'd like to one day own a Barry Szamboti. Why? Well, I have a better chance getting to play with one of his cues than his dad's, and furthermore, he's just one heck of guy to talk to! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you all don't mind, could you please give me some insight about the playability (keyword...) of these cues below that I have listed and what you like about them:

-Barry Szamboti
-Mike Lambros
-Dennis Searing (only seen one of his cues on the web.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif)
-Pete Tascarella
-Joel Hercek
-Bill Stroud (Joss West)
-Paul Mottey (Man his cues are nice!)
-South West

Now, if there are some other cuemakers you'd want to bring to the table, by all means do so! I'm trying to learn as much as I can here. A few more questions and then I'll shut-up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know that one of the big sellers in cues today is the "laminated shaft". Predator got the ball rolling when I was into it, now I've seen various custom cue makers have their own laminated shaft designs (Lambros and Sanko come to mind...), and now Tiger has their shaft out now, combined with their best leather tip and ferrule design. I think it's call the X-Shaft or something. Could you all give some feed back if you've tried different types of these laminated shafts? I'd like to put one of them on my cue whenever I have the money to do so, but I'd want to get a blank so I could have the cue maker match it to the butt end instead of buying one that just fits the pin. Go fig.

Well, I do appreciate anyone who has time time to read this long post, and I really would like some replies to my questions as well if possible. Thanks for your patience guys, it's greatly appreciated! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
06-22-2004, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr>Well, as a matter of fact, I do plan to get a sneak pete from a cue maker in my area by the name of Bob Frey. (FYI: Bob Frey was co-owner with Tim Scruggs back in the day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) He is well known for his sneaky pete's, as well as his custom cues. <hr /></blockquote>

I play with a Bob Frey sneaky pete, and I love the feel of this cue. I got mine off of eBay for less than half the cost of a new one, but there is quite a bit of damage to the shaft at the joint that's been repaired... sort of.

I planned to contact Bob and get a replacement shaft, but I haven't yet.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of his SPs.

Doesn't Mike Davis play with a Frey SP?

Fred Agnir
06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr>
Well, as a matter of fact, I do plan to get a sneak pete from a cue maker in my area by the name of Bob Frey.
As far as cases go, I want to own a Ron Thomas case

Now I've seen plenty of custom cues, but I've only had a chance to hit some of the following cues:

-Chris Nitti (really, really, like his work...)
-Tad Kohara
-Predator
-Meucci
-McDermott
-Joss (favorite production cue...)
-Samsara (love their designs...)
-Lambros (I WILL own this cue someday...it just feels right...)
-Viking (their wood-to-wood joint...)
-Richard Chudy
-Black Boar (one of the best looking, best playing cues out there now...)

Me personally, I'd like to one day own a Barry Szamboti.

If you all don't mind, could you please give me some insight about the playability (keyword...) of these cues below that I have listed and what you like about them:

-Barry Szamboti
-Mike Lambros
-Dennis Searing (only seen one of his cues on the web.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif)
-Pete Tascarella
-Joel Hercek
-Bill Stroud (Joss West)
-Paul Mottey (Man his cues are nice!)
-South West
<hr /></blockquote> Nice post. Full of enthusiasm. All great choices.

In the words of Fred Agnir, "who doesn't make a bad playing cue nowadays?"

Fred

Barbara
06-22-2004, 09:21 AM
You also wouldn't be disappointed with a Ted Harris S/P, either. I would just replace the tip unless you like the really hard tips Ted uses.

I've never met Bob, and neither has my husband, but I got a break cue of Bob's as a Christmas present a couple years ago, and Bob was very reliable to deal with. Apparently there was some confusion when he sent out a couple cues and he accidently overcharged my husband. Bob tracked him down and refunded the difference. My break cue has a 14mm shaft on it and really hits solid.

Barbara

Rich R.
06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't think you will be disappointed in a Bob Frey cue.
Although I have never played with one, because of his former association with Tim Scruggs, I have been told that their cues are very similar in the way they play.

Since you are obviously in the Baltimore area, as am I, don't forget Tim Scruggs himself.
Scruggs makes an excellent cue and you will never deal with a nicer man. Although one would cost a little more than the Frey, you will not be disappointed in a Scruggs.

If you like a stiff hitting cue, you may want to look at a Lambros, especially with his laminated shaft. It is a great playing cue, but, as the Scruggs, it is more pricey and Mike Lambros can be a little difficult to deal with. He can learn some lessons from Tim Scruggs.

dr_billiards
06-22-2004, 09:45 AM
If you want a cue that plays jam up,at a very fair price for the workmanship involved, why not check out Madison Bob's website. Griffin cues (http://www.madisonbobs.com) He makes an outstanding cue in my opinion, he is also a great guy, and easy to deal with. I personally own 4 of his cues and they all hit like a freight train. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Since you are obviously in the Baltimore area, as am I, don't forget Tim Scruggs himself.<hr /></blockquote>Since Tim isn't doing SPs anymore, Bob might be the next best bet.

Fred

Rich R.
06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Since Tim isn't doing SPs anymore, Bob might be the next best bet. <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry Fred, I didn't mean to imply that Tim was making SPs. He hasn't made them for a couple of years. Of course, he would have to step up to Tim's entry level cue, which would be considerably more money.

BTW, I am not sure, but I don't think Lambros is making SPs any longer either.

cycopath
06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Is that how you know a cuemaker has 'made it', when he no longer makes sneaky petes?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-22-2004, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Is that how you know a cuemaker has 'made it', when he no longer makes sneaky petes?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
No. They have made it, when they start charging from $400 to $600 for the SPs, just before they stop making them altogether. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

shoutout33
06-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Fellas, thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate the feedback. Heck, at this rate, all you'll have me wanting to play is just Mr. Frey's sneaky-pete's! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm trying to save money to get one before I go to Valley Forge next year. That's only if I'm a good boy and keep the Mrs. happy until then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif (just kidding...)

What I like to know next is if any of you can answer or give some feedback to my questions about the laminated shafts. I mean, is it worth getting one or should I just learn how to compensate and do it the "old-school" way? Also, other than Predator, Tiger, Meucci, Lambros, and Sanko, who else makes their own laminated shafts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks again for the help and please keep the replies coming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-22-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr>What I like to know next is if any of you can answer or give some feedback to my questions about the laminated shafts. I mean, is it worth getting one or should I just learn how to compensate and do it the "old-school" way? Also, other than Predator, Tiger, Meucci, Lambros, and Sanko, who else makes their own laminated shafts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks again for the help and please keep the replies coming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I think the answer to this question is a real personal thing. Some people love the Predator shafts and others hate them. I'm sure it is the same with all of the others.

Personally, I don't like the Predator shaft, but I do like the Lambros laminated shaft.

You have to make this decision for yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Another cuemaker, who makes a laminated shaft, is the CCB's very own Blackheart. He is another cue maker you may want to consider, but I'm not sure he would be able to make you one, any time soon. At last mention, he was backed up. But I will let him speak for himself. You can PM him.

woody_968
06-22-2004, 12:16 PM
I play with a Madson Bob cue and love the hit! He is becomming very popular in our area.

Oh, and welcome to the boards /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix2001
06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I am currently playing with a new Sheldon Lebow Modified Sneaky Pete. I added ivory ferrules, walrus ivory joint, butt plate and 2 laminated 8 segment X shafts. Becouse I am tall, I had the cue made 64" and it hits like a cannon. Sheldon makes some of the most beautiful basic inlay cues as well as what ever your budget will allow, so take a look at his site to see for yourself. I also own a soon to be 22 year old Richard Black cue with 4 shafts.

cycopath
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Wow! 64 inches! I can't imagine how that must feel. Maybe kinda like shooting with a surf fishing rod.

How tall are you?

Jay
06-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I know that I have said it before in other posts but I still recommend Pete Ohman. I still cant get over how awesome my new cue plays. His cues are really well known downsouth especially in florida. IMHO he makes some of the best hitting cues out there. He is one of the nicest cuemakers out there and is willing to work with you. His prices are reasonable considering the quality of work that goes into his cues!
Check him out www.omencues.com (http://www.omencues.com)

Phoenix2001
06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr>What I like to know next is if any of you can answer or give some feedback to my questions about the laminated shafts. I mean, is it worth getting one or should I just learn how to compensate and do it the "old-school" way? Also, other than Predator, Tiger, Meucci, Lambros, and Sanko, who else makes their own laminated shafts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks again for the help and please keep the replies coming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I think the answer to this question is a real personal thing. Some people love the Predator shafts and others hate them. I'm sure it is the same with all of the others.

Personally, I don't like the Predator shaft, but I do like the Lambros laminated shaft.

You have to make this decision for yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Another cuemaker, who makes a laminated shaft, is the CCB's very own Blackheart. He is another cue maker you may want to consider, but I'm not sure he would be able to make you one, any time soon. At last mention, he was backed up. But I will let him speak for himself. You can PM him. <hr /></blockquote>

In my previous post I stated that I was using 8 segment laminated X shafts with ivory ferrules and hard Water Buffalo tips. This is my first time with this kind of shaft. I have tried all manners of english (minimum to extreme to the outer edge of the cue ball) and have not been disapointed with the results.

Phoenix2001
06-22-2004, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Wow! 64 inches! I can't imagine how that must feel. Maybe kinda like shooting with a surf fishing rod.

How tall are you? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm ether 6'4" or 6'5" depending on what style of measurement and yes I do use my cue as a surf fishing rod LMAO. The cue feels very comfortable to me weather I'm shooting a soft precision shot or a long cut shot with speed. My previous cue is a soon to be 22 year old 60 1/2" Richard Black that also hits well....

nitropool
06-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I carry 3 cues with me. 1 Pechauer and 2 custom cues from Sheldon Lebow. I has Sheldon make me a SP several years back. I liked it so much that it quickly became my main playing cue. I recently decided it was time for a new cue so I had Sheldon make me a new cocobolo and curly maple cue and I absolutely love it! I've tried Predator shafts on my Sheldon cues and I really prefer the original shafts. Of course it's all personal preference, but I like the feedback I get with Sheldon's shafts better. IMO you can't go wrong with anything from Sheldon. Give his site a look as he has several good photos of his work.

Sheldon Cues (http://www.sheldoncue.com)

Brett

ryushen21
06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
I can't wait. I just ordered a custom cue from Pete Ohman. September can't get here fast enough.

Phoenix2001
06-23-2004, 12:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nitropool:</font><hr> I carry 3 cues with me. 1 Pechauer and 2 custom cues from Sheldon Lebow. I has Sheldon make me a SP several years back. I liked it so much that it quickly became my main playing cue. I recently decided it was time for a new cue so I had Sheldon make me a new cocobolo and curly maple cue and I absolutely love it! I've tried Predator shafts on my Sheldon cues and I really prefer the original shafts. Of course it's all personal preference, but I like the feedback I get with Sheldon's shafts better. IMO you can't go wrong with anything from Sheldon. Give his site a look as he has several good photos of his work.

Sheldon Cues (http://www.sheldoncue.com)

Hey NitroPool, how long have you had your Lebow's. I got mine about a month ago and also had a test jump cue made. I live in Sheldon's backyard so to speak as in the same town so it's sure handy to get tip changes and such in a hurry. This won't be my last Lebow as it will be downgraded to a break cue when I have a new one built. It's good to know that their are other Lebow users out there....
Brett <hr /></blockquote>

KGeeED
06-23-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Fellas, thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate the feedback. Heck, at this rate, all you'll have me wanting to play is just Mr. Frey's sneaky-pete's! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm trying to save money to get one before I go to Valley Forge next year. That's only if I'm a good boy and keep the Mrs. happy until then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif (just kidding...)

What I like to know next is if any of you can answer or give some feedback to my questions about the laminated shafts. I mean, is it worth getting one or should I just learn how to compensate and do it the "old-school" way? Also, other than Predator, Tiger, Meucci, Lambros, and Sanko, who else makes their own laminated shafts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

When did Mike Lambros make laminated shafts? I think he makes his own utra joint but I did not know that he made laminated shafts.

Voodoo Daddy
06-23-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> If you all don't mind, could you please give me some insight about the playability (keyword...) of these cues below that I have listed and what you like about them:

-Barry Szamboti...I have two friends that own them, they hit over the top!!
-Mike Lambros...not fond of "the hit".
-Dennis Searing (only seen one of his cues on the web.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif)...I grew up with Dennis, owned several of his cues. Maybe the best on the east coast!!
-Pete Tascarella...beautiful cue
-Joel Hercek...cant answer
-Bill Stroud (Joss West)...My Favorite cue of all time, second to none!!
-Paul Mottey (Man his cues are nice!)...They are awesome, all the right stuff there.
-South West...Owned many, HARD HITTIN' suckers they are <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo~~~loves cue questions...HAHAHAHA

Rich R.
06-23-2004, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KGeeED:</font><hr> When did Mike Lambros make laminated shafts? I think he makes his own utra joint but I did not know that he made laminated shafts. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't believe he mentions it on his web site, but Lambros has been making laminated shafts for at least 3 or 4 years, that I know.

shoutout33
06-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey VooDoo! Thank you sooooo much for the in-depth mini-reviews of the cues I asked about. It really means a lot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What exactly do you mean when you say that Barry's cues, "..hit over the top!!"? I take it that's a positive sign right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Other than the cues I've mentioned, who else is out there that you recommend as far as being a good and reputable cue maker that doesn't cost a mint to own. Like I said in my original post, my Frey is going to cost me $390, and right now, that's more than enough to get me back in the game. I just wanted to own a custom cue to start up again.

Also, could you give me your opinions on my second question about the laminated shafts. I do understand that this will be a personal decision and all, but I'd really like as much feedback as I can get. I'm really starting to lean towards the X-shaft by Tiger products. They seem to be doing a great job and people are receiving them really well. Thanks to you and everyone who's giving replies to this thread, I honestly do appreciate everyones opinions. Please, keepem' coming!!

poolplayer1988
06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I've recently been introduced to John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues and have to say that I think his cues would be a fantastic choice. Check out his website at www.auerbachcustomcues.com. (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com.) They are beautiful, and after talking to him personally, he seems to genuinely enjoy making them and puts alot of thought and care into every cue. Now that's what I call a real cuemaker.

Doug /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dooziexx
06-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Personally, I play with a Mike Bender cue. I like the way it hits and feel especially with a Talisman Hard tip. Check out my website below and you'll see some other cues that are in my collection. Email me if you see something you like.

justbrake
06-25-2004, 03:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> If you all don't mind, could you please give me some insight about the playability (keyword...) of these cues below that I have listed and what you like about them:

-Barry Szamboti...I have two friends that own them, they hit over the top!!
-Mike Lambros...not fond of "the hit".
-Dennis Searing (only seen one of his cues on the web.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif)...I grew up with Dennis, owned several of his cues. Maybe the best on the east coast!!
-Pete Tascarella...beautiful cue
-Joel Hercek...cant answer
-Bill Stroud (Joss West)...My Favorite cue of all time, second to none!!
-Paul Mottey (Man his cues are nice!)...They are awesome, all the right stuff there.
-South West...Owned many, HARD HITTIN' suckers they are <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo~~~loves cue questions...HAHAHAHA <hr /></blockquote>

Hi-Voodoo Daddy, what did you mean by=
South West...Owned many, HARD HITTIN' suckers they are <hr /></blockquote>

ceebee
06-25-2004, 12:49 PM
I like Auerbach Custom Cues myself. I contracted with John to make my first series of BreakRAK Break Cues. All 6 were gone in just a few weeks. Another series of 6 is coming out soon.

I also play with a Custom Cue made by Auerbach Custom Cues. It's beautiful &amp; has a great stiff hit (like a Predator, South West or Joss West. John put a medium Moori Tip on my Cue. I can make Whitey roll around the table &amp; jerk off the rails like it has a motor in it.

groupvp
10-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh yah! Custom cues, gotta have more cues:-)
I've had the privilege to nearly every cue you have listed
and a few more. I think from my own personal experience that it is purely a matter of finding the cue that best fits your own personal likes. I have cues that I like for their construction and finish, and cues that I feel confident with when I use them in a game; these are not one in the same. If you have the cash they don't have to be. I have a Gina Cue that I absolutely love to look at and show off - but I wouldn't play it in a tournament as I don't like the feed back. My personal favorite cue is an Andy Gilbert Cue It is a solid hit, has excellent feedback and balance, and the craftsmanship is excellent.

IMO whatever cue you buy you need to access why you are buying it for collectibility or playability. This is not going to be the same for any two players, if it were there wouldn't be too many cue makers.

My top 3 for Looks are: Gina, Tad, Drexler
Top 3 Players: Andy Gilbert, Capone, Lambros

Cheers!

Snapshot9
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, I am from Wichita, Ks. so my cuemakers I name won't
be East or West coast. Bob Owen, partner and cuemaker for
Shurtz Custom Cues makes an excellent cue, best balanced cue
I have shot with in 44 years of playing, and you get a lot
of cue for the money. I have a $1100 custom (2001), and a $190 Sneaky Pete with SS joint (1997). Bob is the father of
Gabe Owen, the 2004 U.S. Open 9 ball Champion. I have known
Bob for 30 years, and he is real good to work with, and real
upfront about things. His basic custom cue is $400, and
they have a picture of it at Shurtz Custom Cues (http://www.shurtzcue.com)

Now, I owned an Eelskin George case, and here's my opinion.
It skinned and scarred easily. The one long pocket on it
was not sufficient for my needs (needed a shorter 2nd pocket). The shoulder strap was narrow and not padded and
not comfortable to carry. I did not care for having to
take the lid clear off and putting back on everytime.
I like a case to have a softer feel to it than the George
case, and to be padded where it needs to be. I just bought
an Action Elite ELN35 soft/hard case, spring loaded butts,
3 x 5, short and long pocket (long pocket has separate pocket for jump cue butt with its own zipper) for 79.20
with free shipping from Pooldawg (http://www.Pooldawg.com) and I could not
be happier with it. It has a special rubber handle and a
wider padded shoulder strap that I like real well. The butts
and shafts go in the tubes either way.