PDA

View Full Version : cheap break cue

DMoney1644
06-22-2004, 10:34 AM
there's a storage unit auction this weekend and a pool cue is supposed to be on the auction block. the ad says they're going to dispose of all the stuff in each of the units in any way necessary so i can probably get the cue really cheap. would it be worth it to get this cue just to use as a break cue? right now im breaking with valley one-pieces. should i bother to haul around my own cue to break with? i won't have a case for it if that makes any difference.

it's probably just a crappy cue like a cuetec at best, but wouldn't you all just hate me if i got a gus szamboti (sp?) for like $10? hey, i can dream can't i? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Personally, I think cuetecs make very good break cues...my wife has one she uses to break with all the time.

brian_
06-22-2004, 09:20 PM
You might want to ask your self a couple of questions first. Have you ever went somewhere and had to pull 10 cues down to find one decent one to break with? Have you ever been in a tournament and as you go to break realize someone just walked off with the cue it took you 15mins to find? I'm not lucky enough to have anything but bar tournaments in my remote area so if I want something decent to break with I have to bring my own. If you play in a up scale pool hall with nice equipment and your happy with your break why pack around another cue? That's just IMO

Chris Cass
06-22-2004, 09:33 PM
CueTech' a great break cue. They hit solid and if you do find a G.S. cue, then, I wish you all the best. Then, I'll ask that you purchase 10 lottery tickets for me and I'll send the money the same day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have to carry 2 cases, then, no.
If you just play with a low end cue under $100. then, no.

The break doesn't effect the cue unless you power-break. Then, the cue can easily go crazy and you could rip the forearm finish into the rail. The normal stay down break with a slow back swing then explode, shouldn't do anything. If you shoot with a LaPro tip it will reshape itself on the next shot.

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
06-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I used to buy storage units, still do sometimes, and you usually have to buy everything for one price. You may just want to hang around and who ever buys it make them an offer for the cue. You won't get it for $10.00 though, (the whole unit I mean). That is why I don't do it much any more people get so caught up they over pay. I have in the past bought $10,000 worth of stuff for $300.00, those days are over though. Some of the get rich quick courses they sell on late night TV have told so many people about these things it isn't worth it anymore. Same with buying tax liens. I used to buy liens every year, it is still a pretty good thing but not like it used to be.

DMoney1644
06-23-2004, 04:44 PM
i didn't even think about that popcorn. the notice thing i found in the paper isn't clear as to whether they'll sell everything separately or if you have to buy the whole unit. i've never been to storage auctions before. there aren't a lot of units, and each one doesn't have a lot of stuff. there's also like cars and a jetski, do you think they might still require you to buy the whole unit?

CC, don't you have to be 21 to buy lottery tickets? im 19 and in UT so i don't think lottery tickets are available to me. you could send me your cue and i'll kiss it for good luck and send it back. i SWEAR i won't play with it. much.

EDIT: brian, i have had to look at a bunch of cues before finding a decent one. the place i play at is kind of a little hole-in-the-wall type place. 3 bar boxes, 5 9-footers, nothing but valley one-piece cues with tips that haven't seen a shaper, scuffer, or a tip pik in years. about half don't even have ferrules. i love it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Yo D.

I would but my FedX guy likes to go on the road not only with the mail but with my dang cue. LOL

Regards,

C.C.