PDA

View Full Version : When and how does one align cue with aim point

Leviathan
06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
I believe that teachers and good players tell beginners to select their point of aim while standing upright. That's great as far as it goes, but I think that beginners need to know when and how to align their cue with their aim point, also.

This is how I align my cue with the aim point. It may not be the best way to do it, and I hope anyone who's interested will feel free to suggest improvements:

1. I select my point of aim, then position my feet carefully, keeping my eyes on the point of aim. My stance remains upright. I haven't placed the cue on the table yet.

2. With the cue in my hands, my head held high for best vision, and my eyes on the aim point, I bend forward just enough to position my bridge hand on the table.

3. I glance back and forth between the aim point and the cue twice and correct the cue's alignment as necessary.

4. I settle slowly and smoothly into my shooting position, while glancing back and forth between the aim point and the cue twice and making any final corrections to the cue's alignment.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Hope this helps someone shoot straighter!

--AS

bill190
06-22-2004, 02:42 PM
It is like throwing a basketball into a hoop. With practice, you get it down. Same with pool. Your body remembers how to aim. Get some of those 3 ring binder "reinforcement stickers" at an office supply. They are round stickers with a hole in the middle.

The play a game of 8 ball by yourself. Note which shots you miss. Then set up one of these shots. Next place a sticker under the cue ball and another sticker under the object ball. This way you can shoot the same exact shot many times with the balls in the same exact location. Then just keep shooting that shot - 50 times. After shooting it 50 times, you will be much better at that shot in the future. It does not matter if you miss the first 20 attempts. You are still learning. Then do this with a different shot each day that you are having trouble with. If you keep with it and practice a few hours each day, after a few months, you will be making all those troublesome shots!

Rod
06-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I think in the beginning stages it is more critical to have a specific aim point. Also to walk into the shot the same way each time. Also as Bill suggests it becomes natural in time. That along with marking ball placements as suggested. If you watch someone new, or even better than average; you'll see many that try to duplicate a shot. The problem is they rarely put the balls in the same position. The outcome is completely different.

I think in time, keeping your eye on the aim point is not necessary. It was a learning reference on how to set up and aim. Once in place all you have to do is walk into the angle.That simplifies the approachand not as much thinking. You make fine adjustments, if necessary, when your down. If those adjustments are not fine, then it's time to back away from the table. Go through the walk in routine again, which rarely happens BTW. In time they learn how to approach the table and it becomes second nature. That's not to say we always do it correct, even the best make setup mistakes. Those that correct their mistakes though, are the ones that improve at a faster rate. My two bits

pooltchr
06-23-2004, 06:27 AM
I like your system right up until number 4. If you like the way the shot looks when you are standing, and you still like the way it looks when you are half way down with your bridge hand in place, making adjustments once you are completely down on your shot can sometimes get you in trouble. You get a whole different perspective once you are down on the shot. It looks different from down there. Trust what you know was right from standing and 1/2 way positions. If in doubt, lift back up and look again.

It sounds like you have a very solid routine, which is the key to it all. Each player may have slight differences, but from what you write, I think you are right on track. Just keep it consistant every shot!