PDA

View Full Version : Rule Abuse

stockman4180
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I got one for you. I'm still upset over it. A league player double hit the cue ball (ball in hand foul) but it was not called. TWO legal shots later the opposing team called the foul. The shooting team said it was to late to call. They called the league operator who ruled that it was NOT to late and awarded the ball in hand to the opposing team. It just so happened to be the hill game in the hill match for a trip to Vegas. What recourse does the shooting team have? I know they should have had good sportsmanship and called it on themselves but why rule did the league operator rule against the team? It wasn't from a lack of information because an official of the national organization was there and they had no say in the call even after they told the operator they were wrong.

Rod
06-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Well you don't call fouls two shots later, not to mention BIH. At the very least in case of an argument, the game could have been replayed. That would have been the civil way to settle the dispute. Your LO didn't even mention such?

At any rate you should look into the procedure of handling disputes with the league. If APA or any large company that should go to the main office, if necessary. You are legally entitled to know specifics of how to settle disputes. If your not getting the answers or you think your being blown off go direct to the main source. It's up to you guys if you want to proceed.

Rod

RedHell
06-23-2004, 02:08 PM
I think the ruling was wrong. I agree that a foul called two shots later can't be called anymore. If it could, why not let you opponent run balls and make room on the table for you to run out ???

I don't know if you can do this, but in our VNEA league there is a protest process. A team must complete the game and inform the LO that they file a protest on the scoresheet. The LO then contact both captain and get explanation from each of them. A ruling is then posted, it is either a rejection of the protest or a game/match to be replayed.

In your case, because it involves a trip to Vegas, I would push the issue with the LO or even the APA themselve.

woody_968
06-23-2004, 02:50 PM
That was a terrible call! You didnt say which league it was, but I think APA has a rule that states a foul cant be called after another legal shot has been taken.

There was a similar discusion a while back on someone shooting the wrong ball in 8-ball. IIRC someone shot the wrong group of balls, after two shots the opposing team called foul, but the league ruled that they just switch groups. If I am wrong on that someone please correct me.

At any rate I would bring the problem you had to someone higher up as I think it was the wrong call.

ChrisW
06-23-2004, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>
There was a similar discusion a while back on someone shooting the wrong ball in 8-ball. IIRC someone shot the wrong group of balls, after two shots the opposing team called foul, but the league ruled that they just switch groups. <hr /></blockquote>

You are right.
It is BCA.
The theory is if it was not a foul on the first shot then its not a foul on the next one.

Chris

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
This is what the Meucci was designed for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~plays with intergrity..

Barbara
06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
This is flat out wrong. The foul should've been called right after it happened, not two shots later.

In the BCA rules it states that if a foul isn't called right away, it's as if the foul never happened.

I would complain all the way up the chain and ask for a rematch of the whole match.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
I play in 2 leagues. Neither are sanctioned but are patterned after BCA and VNEA. If you miss a foul, tough. You missed. You would never get away with calling the LO to have it changed after the fact. In case of a dispute, we rerack and play again.

DG