PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ronnie Allen

Tom_In_Cincy
06-23-2004, 01:54 PM
If you haven't been to this site, here is a treat.
www.onepocket.org (http://www.onepocket.org)

The interview was taken last month at the Hard Times Billiards Sacramento Summer Jamboree One Pocket Event.

Popcorn
06-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Classic Ronnie Allen, Good Stuff.

Rod
06-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Isn't that the truth, Ronnie has such a way with words. I could even hear him talking. Note at the end when Onepocket.org got finished, he was no doubt still talking.

Vagabond
06-24-2004, 05:18 AM
His comments in the interview have the appearence of Truth.
vagabond

rah
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Ronnie Allen: "Top 9-Ball players don't say, ‘I'm going to make the 1-ball there' and they shoot it and then they say, ‘let me see, where am I going to make the two?' They plan the whole rack, one here, two here, three here, four there, five and six… I can tell you, playing 9-Ball, where I'm going to make the 9-ball before I start shooting the one."

I never have believed in only looking ahead 3 balls at a time, as some instructors try to pound into your head. Have you ever had someone ask you in 8 ball how many balls do you think ahead, you say 8, and they look at you like you are crazy or just BS/ing?

Popcorn
06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I saw a top player get beat by a local yokel trying to call three balls ahead. In other words, when you are shooting the 1 you have to call where you will shoot the 3. When you are shooting the 2 you have to call the 4 and so on. In nine ball the player is always adjusting even if you can't tell from the side lines he has done so. A slightly different angle then he wanted and the plan changes. You may now draw back instead of going to the rail, you know what I mean. There is no way of knowing what his plan really was. Kind of like the Pee Wee Herman thing, "I meant to do that" In 8 ball though, if you start to run out don't be winging it. You should know how you are going to get all the way out including the variables that may bail out the run.

SpiderMan
06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I saw Ronnie Allen for the first time in 1973 or 4. He came into the Golden Cue on Winchester (in Memphis) about 1 am with Wanderone. At the time, I was a beginner so probably I didn't appreciate the show he put on.

He played one-handed one-pocket against all two-handed challengers until the wee hours (poolrooms in Memphis didn't close), and I don't remember him losing a game. And they could telephone some wicked one-pocket players out of the woodwork back then in Memphis. He'd be frozen on the head rail, jacked up one-handed, and plow into the middle of the pack. Balls would fly everywhere, except for the one that would slowly roll over into his pocket.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
He has good intentions as far as tournament suggestions. Other than that who knows. If you ask anyone if they know Ronnie, back that up with, does he owe you any money?

NH_Steve
06-25-2004, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> He has good intentions as far as tournament suggestions. Other than that who knows. If you ask anyone if they know Ronnie, back that up with, does he owe you any money? <hr /></blockquote>Rod, I see you are from Phoenix -- Ronnie is out there right now I believe, playing Scott Frost some One Pocket. Or he just left, but he was definitely there yesterday. Catch some action!

Ralph S.
06-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Excellent read. Thanks for posting the link Tom.