PDA

View Full Version : Choice of tip and tip profile

trailboss
06-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Another Q... What brand of tip is good and what tip profile is good? I have heard everything from dime, nickle and quater size profile, so I am confused here! Thanks.

woody_968
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
For profile most play with a nickel, some snooker players like a dime radius because the balls are smaller.

As far as what tip you will get all kinds of replys as there are many good ones out there. IMO I dont think you can beat a triangle tip, especially for what they cost. But keep in mind I have never played with a moori or talisman so its possible I would like them better, but I doubt it.

DialUp
06-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I highly recommed the nickle profile unless you are at the point, in your game, where you think you need a little better cueball control (which is way overstated, btw)

I like LePro tips and have used them for years. I would not worry too much about the tip. Just make sure it is medium hard. Lots of people get caught up in the "equiptment" aspect of the game (like having custom cues)

You will find that all good pool players can beat you with a house stick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can't go wrong with a hard nickle tip...

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi ya trailboss,

First of all you'll get quite a few that support many different tips. They're like cars. I'll give you my opinion and you can decide for yourself. Along with the size for you, which is also optional.

This information doesn't come free though. For my valued opinion you must pay first, to show you are ready to listen to my advice. Payment is this small questionare. Be sure to answer all of the questions.

How long have you been playing?
What type of cue have you been using?
Stainless Steel joint or wood to wood?
How often do you play?

It's just that simple. It's just here at the home office we need to do a backround check. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~Cassman, have spies will travel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_billiards
06-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I have used a triangle tip with a nickle radious for the last 15 years.

woody_968
06-23-2004, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
How long have you been playing?
What type of cue have you been using?
Stainless Steel joint or wood to wood?
How often do you play?

<hr /></blockquote>

Boy, leave it to CC to ask good questions so that he can make an informed recommendation /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Cant ya be like the rest of us and just spout off the tip that ya happen to be playing with this week /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LOL J/K

Actually a very good post CC.

Sid_Vicious
06-23-2004, 04:35 PM
I'd start with a nickel and leave it alone from then on unless it mushrooms on the sides. I know I'm contradicting many here, but the tip doesn't need a constant re-shaping. Your stroke style will model the contour for YOUR stroke. I went for years HAVING to make mine a dime,,,else I thought every miss had another reason besides my goof. Many pool players are kinda superstitious about scuffing and shaping all the time. It ain't needed...sid

woody_968
06-23-2004, 04:43 PM
I agree with ya Sid, about the only time I shape my tip is when I install it. I might touch it with a tip-pick once every few months.

crawdaddio
06-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Before playing with the cue I have now (Zylr), I thought all the moori hype was just that....hype. But now I am convinced, and I will never play with anything but a moori. I have tried all kinds: lepro, triangle, elk master, hercules, talisman, water buffalo, and the moori medium is by far the best. Important factors to me (in no particular order): holding its shape without alot of fidgeting, minimal miscueing, hardness, feel upon contact, cueball control, appliable english. Especially compared to herc. and talisman, the mooris are FAR superior, IMO, regarding what is important to me in a tip. WELL worth the xtra 15 bucks. My favorite one piece tip would have to be the triangle. BTW~~in between a dime and nickel radius.
Hope it helps.
DC

SpiderMan
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Another Q... What brand of tip is good and what tip profile is good? I have heard everything from dime, nickle and quater size profile, so I am confused here! Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Boss,

If you really don't have a starting point, then use a "triangle" and radius it about like a penny if you have a ferrule diameter of 13mm or slightly less. If you're over 13 you might try a nickel, or if you know you want a little easier spin you might try a dime. This is really a fine point, though, because if you lay a dime and nickel atop one another you'll see the curvatures aren't very different. A penny is safe middle ground, and I could play with it for the rest of my life if I had to.

I say triangle because it's inexpensive, it's middle-of-the road in hardness, and it has fairly coarse fibers that hold chalk well.

You can use this tip as your reference point to decide whether you need to go harder or softer, etc.

I keep returning to the triangle, no matter how many fancy tips I try out. And I try them all, so I can make recommendations to my customers. But a triangle just works very well for me. I'm using a Jacoby cue with 13mm capped ferrule and a fiber pad, and I've gradually migrated to liking the slightly higher crown of a dime radius.

Some may recommend LePro, they play well also and are middle-of-the road in hardness, but I've had one or two shed chunks of leather near the edges. If you like 'em, use 'em.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-23-2004, 07:21 PM
I agree with Sid, unless your tip mushrooms how you play dictates the tip curvature. Shape it like a dime if you want but it will conform to how you play. If you use little side english it will go to say a silver dollar radius. If you use a lot of side it might go as far as a dime. I use a fair amount of english and mine is about a penny to a nickle. If you use no english it will be looking rather flat. I really don't pay attention anymore unless it's new. Then I shape it about a nickel if any towards the penny.

Rod

Troy
06-23-2004, 08:01 PM
You will find that selection of the "perfect" tip is a personal thing.
The same can be said for the radius.

I've used a zillion (that's a bunch) tips from Triangle (too hard for me) to Le Pro (most inconsistent) to Water Buffalo (one-piece)(way too hard for me).
I have settled on Talisman Pro Soft with a dime radius, but I play mostly 1-Pocket.
I also install about 15 boxes of tips per year for a variety of customers from top players to house cues. Many customers love the Talisman, many others don't like the price ($20 installed). Many like Le Pro's but request a specific hardness which means hand selection. Many also like Triangles. The radius generally requested is between a nickel and a dime.

So there you have it. Probably not much help. Sorry.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Another Q... What brand of tip is good and what tip profile is good? I have heard everything from dime, nickle and quater size profile, so I am confused here! Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi ya Woody,

You know I hate to leave myself out on a limb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, I hate another thing. I need to post that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Tommy_Davidson
06-24-2004, 01:26 AM
&gt; I have tried just about all the popular tips,the harder the better,and from now on,I will use nothing but Sumo 1 piece Water Buffalo,packed tight in a vise prior to installing them,and shape them to about a dime radius initially. I let them shape themselves after that,and lightly tap about once an hour in the humid climate here in Tennessee,as the chalk tends to get a little damp. The Sumo's will not mushroom to speak of,I break often with mine and any mushrooming that takes place can easily be corrected with a little spit and leather burnishing,and they last forever. I've had little success with laminated tips,but the ones I liked best were the Moori,back when there were 5 grades,the hardest one made,and the Talisman UH,which may not even be in production yet,I got some samples back when he was testing them. The one I liked best didn't have the logo or "glue side" printed on them,for all I know I had it on upside down,it was also the only laminated tip I ever installed that didn't come apart in the process. I also cut that one down quite a bit thickness wise,and smashed it in a milling vise. Tommy D.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr> .... You can't go wrong with a hard nickle tip...

<hr /></blockquote>

I respectfully disagree. That advice is too general.

I can't play with a hard tip. He needs to try different tips to see what he likes. Triangle is a good starting point. He can go harder or softer from there.

Sid_Vicious
06-24-2004, 07:29 AM
"I can't play with a hard tip."

I heard once that when one says this they are really saying, "I don't want to" or "I don't want to learn to." Simple and yet profound when you think about it...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
06-24-2004, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "I can't play with a hard tip."

I heard once that when one says this they are really saying, "I don't want to" or "I don't want to learn to." Simple and yet profound when you think about it...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Profound? I would say "presumptive" actually.

I tried one. I shot with it for 2 hours straight. I missed many, many shots that I should have made.

I went back to LePro. Then I tried an Elk Master. I picked it up from the pro shop and immediately ran a rack of straight pool without a miss.

TomCincy was watching. He said "Looks like that tip agrees with you" I said "Yup".

Now, what advantage would I get from learning to shoot with a hard tip?

Do you think Efren should abandon his Elk Master and learn how to shoot with a hard tip?

Just because you like a hard tip doesn't mean it's for everybody.

dooziexx
06-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Ive tried alot of tips in the past 2 years and I like Talisman Hard the best with nickel crown.

bill190
06-24-2004, 10:10 AM
The size of shaft; 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, the hardness of the tip; soft, medium, hard, the shape of the tip; dime, nickel, quarter, and the material used for the tip; leather, pig skin, etc. WILL play differently. But you will not notice the difference unless you are an experienced player. So if inexperienced player - little or no difference. If experienced player - big difference.

I have experimented with all of the above and decided that a 12.5mm shaft with a Moori III medium tip and a dime radius was best for *me*.

And I keep my tip shape the same dime shape at all times. The moori does not need scuffing or tip pricking. Thus I always have a consistant cue tip to play with and it will respond the same every day. And it will play the same when I replace the tip.

I would say that with 95% of shots, none of the above matters much. But with some shots, it is critical to me. For example draw shots. I may only use a draw shot once or twice during a tournament. But that one shot may make the difference between winning the game and losing. With my consistant tip, I can consistantly draw the cue ball back whatever distance I want. I know where it will stop.

My previous tip was a 13mm, nickel shape, leather, unknown brand which came with my stick. It got slick with play and needed constant tip pricking/scuffing. If it was just scuffed, it would draw differently than if it was slick. I got fed up with this non-consistant play and decided to experiment with all of the above tips. I also bought tip replacement tools so I could change the tips myself.

I am *very* glad I took the time to experiment. I feel that knowing about the different equipment available and what it will do (not do) is a good lesson. Note that my playing was quite poor while I was experimenting. So expect your game to go downhill if you are constantly changing shafts/tips.

Also play will change if switching to a dime shape from a nickle. So expect a little time to learn to play with a differently shaped tip. Note that a 13mm shaft will not work with a dime shape as the curve will go all the way down to the ferrule.

My advice would be to find a tip which does not need scuffing/tip pricking. Then keep it the same shape so it always plays the same - even when replaced. Soft tips squish down easily (change shape), so for that reason, they are not good.

ryushen21
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
I guess that i'll chime in here with my two cents also. I have played pool with quite a few different tips. LePro, Triangle, Elk Master, Water Buffalo, Talisman, Moori, etc.

In my experience, i have not found a tip that plays as well as the Moori medium hard, at a radius between nicke and dime. It is my own personal preference. I also played with a Talisman hard that had a fibre pad that made it a little softer feeling IMO and it played nicely also. The whole tip issue is a matter of preference. You may have to play for quite a while with quite a few tips. You'll know which ones you like and dislike pretty quick.

And always make sure that it is installed by someone who knows what they are doing. That makes a lot of difference. Or at least IMHO it does.

RUNaRAK
06-24-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Ive tried alot of tips in the past 2 years and I like Talisman Hard the best with nickel crown. <hr /></blockquote>
I have the same preference as Doozie.. I have tried many and definitely prefer the Talisman Hard.. As Wally says though, go with what works for you! We all have different preferences, that is why there is such a variety to choose from! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Moori medium.... about a nickel radius. I don't scuff, shape or anything like that. I get the tip professionally installed and have them cut it down about 1/2 way.

I think I'm going to try a Moori Quick (hard) next time.