PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts?

JohnBarton
06-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I have mentioned that I sometimes play pool with my Bunjee Jump Breaker. I can do everything with it that I would do with a normal cue. It sounds as though it is broken when I hit the ball because of the composite tip.

Tonight I started out with my Gilbert and wasn't quite getting there so I switched to my Bunjee and won the tournament.

Is there something we have been missing about cues and they way they are supposed to "play" or am I just nuts. I have played with just about every major cue out there and owned many, many top brands. I cannot escape the feeling that I am playing better with the Bunjee than with any other cue I have ever played with.

At first I just started playing with it as a lark to show other people that it could be done. Now though I am about ready to just use the Bunjee exclusively.

Makes me wonder all over again about what the hit/performance is all about.

John

Rod
06-24-2004, 12:51 AM
That question was asked just the other day. Some thought he was. lol Congrats on the win. I'd relate it towards better position or at least the right angles. That's good. I say that because I doubt you had to use excess english for position with that tip. If you were better turn pro, bunjee tour. lol

Vagabond
06-24-2004, 05:02 AM
Some like Blondes and some like brunnettes.Different strokes for different folks.Have fun with Bunjee tour.
Vagabond

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi John,

Your not nuts. Grat's on the tournament. You always were a great shot anyway but it's not the Bungee that's the cause imho. Although it's a fine cue and I know how you believe in it. That's not what brought you the win. I'm not going to go into what brought you the win because I'm there in the box with you. Just keep doing what you do with confidence and enjoy that feeling we all long for.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-24-2004, 06:57 AM
John,
Just a possibility that maybe knowing you were using the break cue with that tip had you a little bit more focused on your stroke trying to prevent any mis-cuing?
Steve

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Looks like someone got the clue quick. Wouldn't you know it'd be a BCA instructor. LOL

Good job Steve. You did get my point. I just didn't want to change John' winning perspective.

Regards,

C.C.

RedHell
06-24-2004, 07:09 AM
I could also be the continuous ping of the phenolic tip while making balls that drove his opponents nuts!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 07:11 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Your killing me. hahahaha

C.C.~~waking up with RedHell is good.

Sid_Vicious
06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Hey John...Spiderman's moving one of my composite tips to my Falcon breaker and I too intend to at give it a good attempt at playing full time. I've gotten cocky at times with my Lucasi JC and finished a game. Many, many times I'll use it for an alternate shot other than the jump I'd intended, instead of trotting back to where I left my play cue. I'm nuts too...sid~~~ready for when they make it a rule that you've got to finish with a short cue once you use one in a game ;-)

RedHell
06-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Glad to bring a smile on your face...

But on a serious note, a friend of mine does that sometimes. When he feel off-stroke, he take his break cue (a J&J with phenolic) and starts shooting better.

He asked me once, how come he can't make a ball with his custom/predator/tiger tip combo and he's running balls with his cheap BK...

I told him that when he plays with his BK he's not trying to impress with ridiculous english and bring his game to a simpler pot-and-position game.

I often think that all the new technological improvement like low deflection shaft, laminated tips, etc make us believe we can do more that we really can and we mess up our game with that...

Just my 2 cents !

Eric.
06-24-2004, 08:07 AM
But what's that got to do with Pool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Were you playing 9 Ball? Maybe you were playing mostly center ball and getting good angles?

Eric

PQQLK9
06-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Were you using the extension or using it as a shorty?
By the way...would the Bunjee extension fit my Lucasu jump cue?

Sid_Vicious
06-24-2004, 09:25 AM
"I told him that when he plays with his BK he's not trying to impress with ridiculous english and bring his game to a simpler pot-and-position game."

Hmmm, simpler pot-and-position game...novel concept. Seriously though, the harder tips, even the rediculously hard composites, FORCE more of a basic fundamental into your game,,,simplicity. I suppose if you've adapted to a lot of backhand english or a pronounced spin style player such as many of the asian players seem to have grown up with, that harder tips just ain't gonna fly. Otherwise I'd wager that most all american players today will gain from working closer to the middle of the CB instead of juicing their shots with spin. Hence, a harder than normal tip will MAKE you into a simpler, fundamental player....Jm2c sid~~~practices without chalk on purpose to readjust toward the center of the CB upon a breakdown string of miscues

Popcorn
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
I think you would be taking the worst of it playing with one of those cues full time. It could maybe have a therapeutic effect, since it would force you to play more carefully. I hope you are not suggesting someone put down a nice Capone and begin to play with a Bungee? I can't believe you would choose a bungee cue to play with over a nice custom cue. They are good for what they are, but please. One of the differences between two players is, one can do things the other can't, that is why he is a better player. Playing with a cue that may take away some of what you can do, in effect makes you a lesser player.

RedHell
06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
That's exaclty it....

He's the type of player that will use a 3 rails position to play a ball in the center pocket when a simple stop shot or one rail would allow him to play the same ball in the corner.

When he plays with a phenolic tip, he knows he can't juice it up for position by 3 rails so he takes the corner shot instead. Simpler pot-and-position game.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Glad to bring a smile on your face...

But on a serious note, a friend of mine does that sometimes. When he feel off-stroke, he take his break cue (a J&amp;J with phenolic) and starts shooting better.

He asked me once, how come he can't make a ball with his custom/predator/tiger tip combo and he's running balls with his cheap BK...

I told him that when he plays with his BK he's not trying to impress with ridiculous english and bring his game to a simpler pot-and-position game.

I often think that all the new technological improvement like low deflection shaft, laminated tips, etc make us believe we can do more that we really can and we mess up our game with that...

Just my 2 cents ! <hr /></blockquote>

Exactly,

Like putting down your cue and grabbing a house cue. Your focus becomes cyrstal clear and you stay within the parameters of a quarter radious of the cb. It forces you not to take chances even the slightest ones. It keeps you mainly in the ctr ball area. You take angles and not juice up the ball to bend them. You make the game simple. That's the difference between a "B" and an "A" player. The "B" player is constanly juicing up the ball trying to either impress someone with their english or make themselves think it's the best way of doing things.

Once they realize they need only to get from point A to B then do they start to move up. Some never do. It's like the guy who misses an fantastic english shot. Alls he hears is, "Nice try, that was Awesome. Where does that get you? I'll tell ya. In the chair. Strictly mo Steve knows what I'm talking about. In John' case it's not about being fancy at all. He's a proven player and with him. It's all about bringing out his focus only. He's an accomplished player. Good point Red and keep them coming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~there isn't much past ctr ball you can do with a jump cue with phenolic tips.

RedHell
06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Chris,

What you described is what I've been working on for a long time. But let me tell you, it's hard to overcome, in my opinion/case anyway. I played a game the other day with a semi-pro/pro ranked player (not sure).

He's the owner of a poolroom in the city I've been working lately. He's obviously not a world shooter, but can do well agaisnt some serious player, btw he co-own the PH with Luc Salva.

In any case, I've played him before and rarely manage to get past 5 on a race to 11. Well the other night, everything was simple, all position didn't require much english, in a word I was in stroke. I manage to take a lead of 7-2 on him. Let me tell you I was proud. Obviously he kept fighting up to 10-9, my lead. I couldn't believe it.

It was his break and came up dry. There it was laying in front of me, a beautiful run out for the win. I took my first shot on the one and loaded it with running english, I wanted to use the long rail and the foot rail to come back center table for the two. In any case I missed the shot and he ran out to the hill and kill me on the last rack.

Once done, he looked at me and asked: "You played well all night with simple steady shot, why did you juiced that one, all you needed was a little stun right and you would have been perfect for the corner ?"

It is then that in the excitement of shooting for the win, I forgot the basic of all rules.

--- Keep it simple ---

Do you have any word of wisdom for me on how to recognise this situation next time and not let it happend. It's a funny feeling, it kinda creep up on you and it's only too late that you realise what just happend !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tateuts
06-24-2004, 03:32 PM
My Predator BK plays just fine with a hard leather tip. It's just a cue. No way would I want to play with a phenolic tip, though.

Chris

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Red,

Words of wisdom? LOL Everytime you do that take a hammer and hit a toe. Then, it won't belong before you stop. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, the reason you missed the shot was because you were focusing on the cb positioning instead of making the ball. Next time you are faced with a shot where you need to get whitey back to ctr table or anywhere for that matter. First, think to yourself, am I trying to do too much with the cb? Then, remember all your thinking is done while in the standing position. When, your down on the ball. The only thing you concern yourself with is, making the shot. Yep, the cb position comes automatic because your mind is so far advanced it actually has already been programmed.

Another point if your asking about wisdom. If you can get to ctr table 70% of the time, you'll win 85% of your games. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simple, keep it simple. Just keep asking yourself, am I doing too much with whitey? When Buddy says perfect pool, he means made all the balls or all the right shots. He doesn't mean get dead solid straight in on everything. The game isn't about perfect, it's about simplicity and angles. IMHO

Take care and thanks for the comp,

C.C.~~doesn't want to change the thread, sorry.

Rod
06-24-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, the cb position comes automatic because your mind is so far advanced it actually has already been programmed.
<hr /></blockquote>

CC Speaking of advanced, my mind use to process like a pentium 4. Now it's like a couple of sticks of ram are missing and my processor is an old 266. I only had two sticks to begin with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-25-2004, 12:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Yep, the cb position comes automatic because your mind is so far advanced it actually has already been programmed.
<hr /></blockquote>

CC Speaking of advanced, my mind use to process like a pentium 4. Now it's like a couple of sticks of ram are missing and my processor is an old 266. I only had two sticks to begin with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAA

Your forgetting that you have a lifetime warranty. The other thing is the older models were bigger. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~LMAO

pooltchr
06-25-2004, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Words of wisdom?.... Simple, keep it simple..... The game isn't about perfect, it's about simplicity and angles. IMHO

<hr /></blockquote>

TAP! TAP! TAP!

JohnBarton
06-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Thank you all. Last night I tried to start out with the Bunjee and ran some racks but I went back to the Gilbert.

I think there is definitely merit to the increased focus theory. For the record I can spin the ball just as much with the Bunjee as with any other tip so it's not an issue of which cue spins the ball more.

I don't suggest anyone change their cue if they are having success with it. I am just kind of freaked out by my ability to actually play pool with this cue although all my so-called knowledge of pool screams that I should not be able to.

As for the simple position theory: I did once play a friend with no chalk on my cue to prove that I could beat him with no sidespin and minimal follow and stop/stun. I did. I thikn that there is probably a little of that going on but as I said above I am able to and willing to spin the ball with Bunjee when the shot calls for it.

I just wonder if the construction doesn't lend itself to less deflection although the common consensus is that such a cue should be high deflection?

John

Chris Cass
06-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Out here we've had games with a player playing with a jump cue, playing cue under their leg, laying on the shoulder with a mechanical bridge and with all open season on shark and just plain yelling at them while they shoot. lol What people do to get a game is brutal here. LOL

Take care John,

C.C.