PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox Bridge

Dufferin_noob
06-24-2004, 11:22 AM
When I first began shooting pool, I used to use the traditional closed bridge. About 5 years ago, after watching some guys shoot pool at a local bar, I began shooting pool by placing a closed fist on the table and resting the cue between my knuckles (middle/index). I found this to be comfortable at the time and it felt almost natural. Picking up bad habits at bars.. hmm, questionable judgement now that I see it in text. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My game is far from good, will re-adjusting to the traditional closed bridge style improve my shooting?

Anyone else seen or use unusual bridge?

ryushen21
06-24-2004, 11:40 AM
I have seen a few people use this kind of a bridge. All i can tell you is that it is not a very comfortable bridge for me. But if it works for you and you can execute shots properly and get the desired results, why not use it. My only question is how do shoot on the rails. Shooting from the top of your hand would create a lot of unnecessary elevation.

However, i have been playing around with my own bridge lately also. I have found that i use a variety of bridges depending on distance, position, type of shot, english usage etc etc. I think that different bridges have their own distinct advantages.

Rod
06-24-2004, 12:24 PM
The bridge you describe elevates the cue to much for normal shots. You should know several bridges if you really want to improve. That is just a begining. If I were you I'd buy a good basic book with plenty of illustrations. I don't know which one, I've never read them. Someone will give you some suggestions.

Rod

DMoney1644
06-24-2004, 05:40 PM
thus far i haven't run across anyone that uses the same bridge as me, but i heard one person say it's called the rattlesnake bridge. i put my hand flat on the table, spread out my thumb, ring, and pinky fingers, and the cue goes between my middle and index fingers for a funky-lookin open bridge. it's actually very versatile. i can get almost any elevation i want, shoot from the rails, manipulate it to get around balls that would otherwise block my stroke, etc. on a side note, i wear rings on my index and middle fingers so the shaft doesn't rub against my skin. no hand chalk for me! try it, you might like it. you could use it here or there, you could use it anywhere. you could use it with a fox, you could use it on a bar box.

smells like teen plagiarism.

piglit
06-25-2004, 01:36 PM
And, you're guaranteed to get some good action with that bridge!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-pigy

sack316
06-25-2004, 01:46 PM
I had a friend that used to do that. If I'm not mistaken I think he called it "the crouching taco". I just loved the name