PDA

View Full Version : Modified Tip Eureaka!

trailboss
06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone.. I really liked the great replies I recieved on tip shape. I went to the local pool hall today and the owner sugested I contact the local top gun. He watched me shoot and then used some sandpaper gadget to groom my tip. It is a slightly modified nickle shape now and I am no longer missing the easy shots. The modified shape really worked for me at bettering my game. The shape is a little less profile than a nickle.

Chris Cass
06-24-2004, 06:10 PM
For this you made a post? Do you know Bluewolf? LOL

C.C.

Rod
06-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Easy does it, lets see if that tip stays the same radius in a month or so, without prunning. lol

bill190
06-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Now the best thing to do would be to get one of those tip shaping gizmos so you can keep your tip the same shape. I like the rounded plastic with sandpaper shapers the best, but I have not seen any for sale other than quarter shape.

If you buy a shaping tool, be sure to compare the shape with a coin. I was at first using one which was actually quarter shaped! You can make your own by buying electrical PVC at the hardware store and cutting the pipe in half, then cut off about an 8 inch piece of the half. I use 220 grit sandpaper (cut with scissors in strips) held inside the curve with my thumb, then slowly rotate the shaft as I sand back and forth. You can also hold up the PVC to your tip with a light in the background and check to be sure the tip still has its proper shape.

Here are the inside sizes of different electrical PVC...
1" PVC (Approx. Quarter) 25 mm
3/4" PVC (Approx. Penny) 19.75 mm
1/2" PVC (Less than Dime) 15.00 mm

Here are the sizes of coins...
Dime ......................... 18.00mm
Penny ..................... 19.10mm
Nickel ....................... 21.10mm
Quarter ...................... 24.10mm
Half Dollar .................. 30.50mm

1Time
06-27-2004, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> The shape is a little less profile than a nickle. <hr /></blockquote>

This is the shape I use and recommend, that is, not quite as rounded as a nickel.