PDA

View Full Version : Waxman: U.S. Imposes New Limits on Scientists

highsea
06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I don't understand this at all, why should HHS determine which scientists can and can't talk to the WHO.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government is making it harder for scientists to speak to their global colleagues and restricting who can attend an upcoming major AIDS conference, a congressman charged on Thursday.

Rep. Henry Waxman said he has a letter showing that the Health and Human Services Department has imposed new limits on who may speak to the World Health Organization.

Under the new policy, WHO must ask HHS for permission to speak to scientists and must allow HHS to choose who will respond.

The story (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=VT4NJHTVZEGLUCRBAEOCF FA?type=politicsNews&storyID=5511366)

-CM

moblsv
06-25-2004, 08:09 AM
You can't just have scientists going around contradicting the White House. :-) What's next? making political decisions based on science? It would ruin the economy and support terrorists.

Qtec
06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
As a UK citizen I dont need a visa to visit the US, but if I was a reporter/member of the Press, I do.

Q

moblsv
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> As a UK citizen I dont need a visa to visit the US, but if I was a reporter/member of the Press, I do.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Of course you do, you might be one of those liberals press people we hear so much about /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
06-25-2004, 09:33 AM
its true I do have a 'relationship' with the Middle East.Twice a month I go to Sofra, an establishment which is full of Arabs and purchase a Kofte kebab and two Turkish pizza's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am also guilty of occassionally consorting with the Chinese. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
06-25-2004, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> its true I do have a 'relationship' with the Middle East.Twice a month I go to Sofra, an establishment which is full of Arabs <hr /></blockquote>

That's certainly nothing to lose your head over.

After all, Islam is a religion of peace.

JPB
06-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Idiotic needless to say. But this is one of the problems that arises when the government meddles. Needless to say, we should not have a HHS department at all.

Leviathan
06-25-2004, 07:22 PM
The Department of Health and Human Services includes Medicare, Medicaid, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Indian Health Service, programs that deliver meals to elderly people on small incomes, programs that provide vaccinations to small children, etc. If the government--HHS--doesn't help old people, sick people, poor people, disadvantaged children, who will? Donald Trump? You? Me?

AS

highsea
06-25-2004, 07:43 PM
That's what I was thinking, CDC and Medicare, etc, fall under HHS. Why in the hell do they need to give permission for a scientist to talk to the WHO? Who is HHS trying to protect?

HHS needs to do their job, eg administer their programs according to the rules specified by congress.

They do not need to be deciding individually who talks to who in the scientific/medical communities. That is something outside their jurisdiction or concern. Good grief, WTF is Tommy Thompson thinking?

Researchers have to have open dialogues with each other so that they can learn from each other's successes and failures. Jeebuz krist we are not talking about missile defense here, it's medicine! A researcher needs Federal permission to attend an AIDS conference?

-CM~~~aaarrrgh!

/rant off

JPB
06-25-2004, 09:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> The Department of Health and Human Services includes Medicare, Medicaid, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Indian Health Service, programs that deliver meals to elderly people on small incomes, programs that provide vaccinations to small children, etc. If the government--HHS--doesn't help old people, sick people, poor people, disadvantaged children, who will? Donald Trump? You? Me?

AS <hr /></blockquote>

I would keep some of the CDC stuff around. We probably need some of their programs for biowar defense. The rest is all crap. The government has no business taking my money by force for charity. If I choose to give to charity or help people it is my business. Forcing people to do it because of some boo-hoo sob stories is morally wrong. Charity is simply not an appropriate function of government.