PDA

View Full Version : Melamine Sponge and Chlorine

Pizza Bob
06-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Did a little shaft maintenence last night. Wanted to try the Magic Eraser that was the topic of several past threads, but thought I'd add this wrinkle. I have always used Q-Clean, which is (I believe) powdered chlorine bleach. It is applied with a damp cloth or paper towel, cleaned with a damp/wet towel and then you burnish, etc from there. Thought that if the sponge, by itself, was good, how much better would it be with the Q-Clean added? That's what I did - with stellar results. Wiped it down, burnished it with three grades of Q-Smooth papers and applied Cue Silk and burnished with a paper towel (per instructions). No horror story here - the shafts are great - clean and smooth and all is right with the universe. This morning I looked at the sponge I had used the previous evening. There was a large furrow, where I had wrapped it around the shaft, and, literally, a hole through one end. Is this normal? Does the sponge "consume itself" with use, or was this a result of using the chlorine powder on the melamine sponge?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SPetty
06-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Did you not see the furrow and hole when you finished using it?

It's been my experience that these sponges aren't particularly durable - they squish down and get holes quickly, and don't "pop" back like a normal sponge might.

I had a friend who used it and bored a hole right through it, but I thought the hole was made at the time. I didn't see it until the next day, though, so maybe you're right.

Anyway, I'd consider them as disposables. Maybe cut it in half or quarters next time in order to prolong their life.

Barbara
06-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Pizza Bob,

That hole would be the result of the chlorine powder you added. Ouch!

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
06-25-2004, 07:33 AM
I don't believe that you are supposed to smash the sponge hard into the wood. I use a gentle stroke style(hardly any compression) when I use the sponge. It takes a minute or two longer but it doesn't chew up the sponge. I saw the one in use at your PH SPetty, and I know it was burrowed into due to force...sid

PQQLK9
06-25-2004, 07:42 AM
First, wet the eraser with water, and then squeeze out the excess.

It should be a little damp for use. Remember, this is an eraser—not a sponge. Excess water is squeezed out so that it doesn't end up on other surfaces. The water is essential to the cleaning action as it helps the eraser "stick" to the surface—much like wetting your finger when you turn the pages of a book.

Next, gently rub the eraser on the surface to remove tough dirt and grime.

That's it! The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works over and over again until it eventually wears away—just like an eraser.
http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/eraser_useage.shtml

Eric.
06-25-2004, 08:36 AM
I haven't noticed that happenning to my Magic Eraser sponge. I've used it a few times, and it still is in good condition.

Eric

larrynj1
06-25-2004, 11:05 AM
i have been told many times that i am sponge-worthy.

RedHell
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Were you told by Elaine herself ?!?!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

larrynj1
06-25-2004, 01:26 PM
a gentleman doesn't name names. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Bob, that sponge works very good with water only. The bleach probably didn't add to it's effectiveness. I think though bleach would eat that fine sponge. Just like it does other materials. You don't get a lot of mileage out of them, I did I think about 8 shafts and it was comming apart. But then I won't be needing the other one for a long time. Oh you won't have any grit from cleaners either.

Rod