PDA

View Full Version : Laser EYE surgery is a miracle.

ceebee
06-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Last evening one of the old locals came back in the Pool Room after a 8-9 month hiatus. He got out his Cue & matched up with another 5 Speed & away they went. BUT & I do mean BUT... this 30 year old man was no longer a 5 Speed. He didn't miss a ball that was makeable. They were playing on a shimmed up Diamond 9 Foot Pro.

It's a friggin' MIRACLE, this fellow took lessons from me for a few months & I quit him, because he just couldn't get the contact point down, his stroke was good & his basics were too, but he could not run 3 friggin' balls

Well things have changed, because this fellow can now SEE. He had LASER EYE SURGERY in January. He said his vision was 20-15 with ZERO astigmatism. He just pulls it back, pulls the trigger & the object ball goes in the hole.

I know his Dad & we just spoke about him on Saturday. he told me that Mark never plays pool anymore... I guess he's about ready to start up again.

The scene was the most amazing transformation I have ever witnessed. I was not drinking...

Eric.
06-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I've considered Laser Eye surgery for years. I have bad (and I do mean bad) eyesight and have wondered if surgery would help my game. I keep putting it off because it seems like they keep coming out with a newer new procedure that is better than the old.

Eric >on the honey do list

Rod
06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
That's great to hear. Having good eyesight is a blessing. I use to and it still isn't to bad but there is nothing like seeing sharp clear balls. It's kind of funny but as time goes along our vision gradually gets worst. We don't notice it until one day reading the paper or for others reading something 50 feet away. It just isn't clear. At that point it's went down hill a fair extent. What we relied on for so long is gradually slipping away.

Well at least I had the privilege of playing with excellent vision for years. Some never did and hopefully there game adjusts well to their eyesight. Sounds like this fellow is doing just fine.

Rod

tateuts
06-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I had mine done about 4 years ago - it is a miracle. I defintely recommend it, although there is a certain healing process involved, and there can be side effects such as halos (these usually disappear after a few months) and dry eyes (this usually corrects as well).

Here in Los Angeles, you can have both eyes done for less than $2,000 now and as low as $1,200. My left eye is still 20/20 and my right is has changed to 20/50 - still serviceable but I might go in for a touch up.

Chris

Popcorn
06-25-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't know, surgery is surgery. I know a former top player who had it done and is almost completely blind in one eye and can't hardly play at all any more. I would definitely not be price shopping when it came to something like that, I want the guy that Tiger Woods would use, I don't care what it cost. I had a hip surgery a few years back and my doctor was the same guy that did Greg Norman and the quarterback for the Dolphins.

Koopa
06-25-2004, 11:53 AM
I've been thinking about laser surgery for a while. I've got myopia and wear hard contact lenses. When I play I see little halos or 'ghosts' around the balls and play by feel (which works, but not as consistently as I'd like it to. I think it'd be a huge advantage for me, seeing as how I'm still young and have quite a bit of room to improve my game.

Sid_Vicious
06-25-2004, 12:42 PM
CeeBee...I'm sure you'll see this guy shoot again, so let us know how the miracle holds up. I've got glasses some time back after NEVER improving my eyes in any way, and I felt it accellerated by game immediately, to only find later that it was short lived. Anybody can have a good day, some of the surprises I've had have been watching people I know who came back out of mothballs to play, but their basic game always crept back in time...sid

ceebee
06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Sid, I am going to do that. I'll give evryone a report as things unfold for Mark. I worked with him for several months, because he had a sincere desire to learn. He just could not make a Pool Shot of any consequence. I'll see how time at the Pool Table does for him. Like I said, his Dad made a remark that he doesn't play anymore.

My vision is myopic, meaning I cannot see anything clearly on this Computer Monitor at 30 inches. I checked into LASER SURGERY & learned about the positives & negatives.

There are 2 reasons I will not get the surgery. 1) I am unlucky & there is a small percentage of folks that do not end up with positive results. 2) I'm an old man (62), how would I do as a 8 or 9 Speed with no Stamina? I would have to buy glasses to read with. Ever try getting something out of your eye with glasses on ???

I have engineered some Pool Playing Glasses that enable me to see clearly, without being bothered by refraction. I twisted & bent the frames so they were at a normal angle to the picture I see. when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I tried contacts & they were outstanding to see with. BUT 2 hours of smoke & I was headed home.

I'll just have to stick with my glasses... All I need is a great Break Shot & I already have that... cb

tateuts
06-25-2004, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't know, surgery is surgery. I know a former top player who had it done and is almost completely blind in one eye and can't hardly play at all any more. I would definitely not be price shopping when it came to something like that, I want the guy that Tiger Woods would use, I don't care what it cost. I had a hip surgery a few years back and my doctor was the same guy that did Greg Norman and the quarterback for the Dolphins. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, I know what you're saying. I investigated quite a bit before my procedure.

While this won't make your friend feel any better, I would say that statistically it is a safe surgical procedure with minimal risk other than short term discomfort. My doctor is one of the top ones in the field here, has performed the most surgeries (with very few serious problems), but is among the most affordable. He runs a laser eye center and that's all he does. What they do is have extremely professional operations where the Ophthalmologist does the actual surgery from a central location and has highly trained ophthalmologists and optometrists handling all the pre-surgery details in satellite offices. Because they do so many surgeries, they are very experienced at spotting potential problems in advance of the operation.

I did find the actual operation to be a little creepy- so I am a little reluctant to go in for a touch up.

Chris

Barbara
06-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Eric,

Just how bad are your eyes? I'm at a -8 with my right eye/-7.5 with the left, and bad astigmatism makes me a bad candidate for the surgery.

Although I have succesfully addicted my Optometrist to my walnuts (his wife/office assistant gets the pecans), he still insists for me to wait, the advance in this type of sugery hasn't gotten to my numbers yet.

Damn, it would be really nice to wake up and not put the alarm clock to my face just to see the numbers.

Barbara~~~blind as the proverbial bat...

SpiderMan
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>
My vision is myopic, meaning I cannot see anything clearly on this Computer Monitor at 30 inches. I checked into LASER SURGERY &amp; learned about the positives &amp; negatives.

I would have to buy glasses to read with. <hr /></blockquote>

Same reason I don't go for the surgery. If you have myopia (nearsightedness), they will tend to over-correct you just a little. That way, when you look at a distant object (or eye chart), your focusing ability is utilized just a little to "pull it in" for the sharpest picture, and they can claim they got 20-20 results for you.

But, this limits your ability to focus at very close ranges, so you may need reading glasses where you didn't before with contacts or single-vision regular lenses. I'd rather put on glasses to drive (half the time I'd be wearing shades anyway, they might as well be prescription) than to read. And, for whatever reason, I can play in my contacts for hours on end without too much discomfort.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
06-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Age may be a factor I don't know. This guy is 69 years old, maybe there is more risk when you are older. I have a friend who had it and is very happy. He is a car mechanic and it was becoming almost impossible to work with his glasses, for him it was a easy decision. I would never do it just to play pool though, not if I could play with my glasses or contacts.

Cueless Joey
06-25-2004, 04:43 PM
I had RK done in '96. Right before Lasik came out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It was nasty. I was in pain for days. I couldn't see for weeks ( too much glare and haze/double vision).
My left eye now is at 20-40.
My right eye is 20-20 but can't see small letters closeup.
I read with my left eye. My right dominant eye is my distance eye. I'm glad I went for monovision.
I don't have to wear reading glasses.
My brother had lasik done last year and is really happy.

Fred Agnir
06-25-2004, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I've considered Laser Eye surgery for years. I have bad (and I do mean bad) eyesight and have wondered if surgery would help my game. I keep putting it off because it seems like they keep coming out with a newer new procedure that is better than the old.

Eric &gt;on the honey do list <hr /></blockquote>http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=lasik&amp;safe=images&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;as_uauthors=Fred%20Agnir&amp;lr=&amp;hl=en

Fred

Rod
06-25-2004, 07:26 PM
+.050 left +0.75 right, that's my contact prescription

Rip
06-25-2004, 10:03 PM
then how are you gonna' see the friggin' calculator?

U.S. OPEN DINNER CHECK ALERT! Check Barbara's math! I can't believe my order of grits cost $42.35!
Good grief~~
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Popcorn,

Tiger' eyesite is 20/15 too. They call that eagle vision. I need it too. I shoot strickly by rote and use my angle system. Tough but until it becomes anything other than cosmetic surgery, I can't even concider it. I would freak if they messed up. The good news is that it's almost impossible to mess up with the computer controlled laser they use now. It shuts down at the slightest imperfection in the process. I think it's called the Mark III?

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-25-2004, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Age may be a factor I don't know. This guy is 69 years old, maybe there is more risk when you are older. I have a friend who had it and is very happy. He is a car mechanic and it was becoming almost impossible to work with his glasses, for him it was a easy decision. I would never do it just to play pool though, not if I could play with my glasses or contacts. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Popcorn,

There is a problem with age when having this done. There's a chance that one could get catteracks one day and the eye will be shaved down too much to use a simular proceedure. Now days though they have a proceedure for catteracks that replaces the entire lens of the eye. Something to think about for sure.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

I can see it now. Barbara goes over to RIP' house and does a burnout on his lawn. LOL

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~do people have lawns in Vegas?????

JohnBarton
06-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I had Lasik three years ago and I consider it to be one of the best things I have done. My vision is a little blurry in my right eye but with both eyes open I see sharp and clear.

I don't know if it made a big difference in my game but I don't get the scrunchy face anymore. :-))

John

GeorgeV
06-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm 49. I gave up shooting pool when I was about 21 and started needing glasses. I just hated playing pool with glasses on. Had other stuff that interfered with my playing, also, but the biggest reason was my eyesight.

About 4 yrs ago, I had LASIK on one eye, my dominant right eye. Only had one eye done so that I wouldn't need glasses to read. Pool never entered the picture. About 18 months ago, I picked up a stick for the first time in almost 30 yrs and was absolutely amazed at how clearly I could see the balls. I've been playing quite a bit lately and loving it like no other activity (almost /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

I didn't find the procedure the least bit uncomfortable. The actual procedure was, in fact, enjoyable, and afterward, I experienced only a minor sensitivity to light for the rest of the day.

Yep! It was a "miracle" for me, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
06-28-2004, 01:27 PM
George- I'm thinking about getting both eyes done. I'm guessing that your vision isn't that bad where you can still see fairly well with the untreated eye?

Fred- Thanks for the link/info. I'm guessing all is well with your eyes, to this day?

Barbara-I'm not sure what the exact measurements are but I'll tell you this; I can't read the "Billiards Digest" logo on the top of this screen from more than 1 foot away.

Eric &gt;apologies for thread jacking...

Rod
06-28-2004, 01:36 PM
What logo? lol JK I can't read it clear unless I'm 4 feet away. I hit the c/b where I want from memory, not because I have a clear visual of the tip/ferrule next to the c/b.

~~rod, now has a slight problem with distance.

Eric.
06-28-2004, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would never do it just to play pool though, not if I could play with my glasses or contacts. <hr /></blockquote>

I respect your decision but even if someone did decide to do it for Pool, the benefits cover every other aspect of your life, so Pool is actually just a bonus.

Eric

Eric.
06-28-2004, 01:46 PM
I could try hitting the CB from memory, but my memory sucks too /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

GeorgeV
06-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Eric -- I don't know what my vision measurements were (or are), but I was pretty near-sighted in both eyes. Couldn't see at a distance worth anything, but I could read just fine without glasses. If I had had both eyes done, I would have needed glasses to read. Didn't want that. Now I see at a distance (for driving and playing pool, for instance) with my right eye and read with my left eye. It's pretty amazing how the brain compensates.

Fred Agnir
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

Fred- Thanks for the link/info. I'm guessing all is well with your eyes, to this day?<hr /></blockquote> It is the single greatest self-mutilation I have ever done. It is a miracle, as the thread states. I didn't do it specifically for my pool game. I think that's not a good enough reason, IMO. I was having so many problems with contacts after over 15 years of contact useage and 25+ years of glasses wearing. I was literally a danger at night when driving because of the double vision and starbursts, even with Toric lenses. My eyes were always super dry.

Today, I'm 20/20 or better in my left eye, and 20/25 or 20/30 in my right. I have residual astigmatism in my right. With both eyes open, I can see the 20/15 line. I have no problems with halos, starbursts or double-vision, considering that I had all of those problems *before* I had the surgery. Not anymore.

I can take a shower and see the soap when I drop it. I can wake up in the middle of the night, and roll over to check the time. I never have to suffer the irony of looking for my glasses, or worse, hunting for a dropped contact lense. I never have to agonize over a speck of dust getting under my contacts. And, I no longer have to worry about oxygen deprivation to my eyes, which may have been my biggest problem.

Yes, my up close focus isn't as fine as it was, and I can see myself needing reading glasses sooner than I would have before. But, that's a minor inconvenience.

Fred &lt;~~~ 2 1/2 years and counting

tateuts
06-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Contacts are just wonderful.

When extended wear lenses first came out, I was a pioneer. I was young and brash and an abuser. Initially, we were told we could wear them for 30 days. Sometimes I would leave the lenses in for two or three months. Then, the companies cut back their recommendation to 15 days, then 7 days, etc. because complications from bacterial infections, dry eyes, protein buildup , etc. blinded some wearers. Complications such as eye ulcers were also dangerous.

While I never had serious problems with the lenses, I had my share. Strange but true story. Once a lens got torn in half when I was removing it after a marathon wearing, and half of it got lost in my eye socket. I went to the optometrist, who searched for at least 5 minutes but couldn't find it. He told me that my eye was irritated and that there was no sign of a lens. I insisted it was stuck to my eyeball somewhere - it hadn't come out and I could feel something - but he convinced me there was nothing there. I put in a new lens and went on my way even though it didn't feel right.

A few days later, the half lens popped out from the back of my eyeball!

Chris

Big_Jon
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> +.050 left +0.75 right, that's my contact prescription <hr /></blockquote>

What are you whining about lol, is that all??? Check these out (Frequency 55 Aspheric)

Left - 4.75
Right - 5.00

Thanks,

Jon

Barbara
06-28-2004, 04:19 PM
I've been wearing lenses for 35 years now. At the start, hard lenses and now gas-permeables. I would really love to wake up to clear vision, but until I get the green sign from my optometrist, I'm sticking to my lenses and glasses.

Barbara~~~can't see clearly 6 inches from my face... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif but can see real clear 4 inches away without my lenses in... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-28-2004, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>
What are you whining about lol, is that all??? Check these out (Frequency 55 Aspheric)

Left - 4.75
Right - 5.00

Thanks,

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

OUCH!!!

I think we have a winner...

Barbara~~~less than 2, but more that 1 in both eyes...

Fred Agnir
06-28-2004, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> +.050 left +0.75 right, that's my contact prescription <hr /></blockquote>

Left - 4.75
Right - 5.00

Thanks,

Jon <hr /></blockquote> I didn't bother writing mine down because it was nothing compared to some of the people who got the LASIK operation done when I was there.

There was a woman who had the state-of-the-art LASIK (at the time) and she was at -10 diopters. She was able to see the 20/20 line the very next day.

Somewhere on cyber world, I listed my sight. Probably here:

Oh, I found it:

Fred's LASIK Report '02 (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=37325&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Fred

Rod
06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
No whine, just facts. I also have a cataract in my left eye. I could be worst so I'm not complaining, ok well just a tad. lol

bigbro6060
06-29-2004, 01:49 AM
i'm 31 and i'm thinking of getting laser eye surgery

i agree, pay the best , don't shop around

bluewolf
06-29-2004, 05:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't know, surgery is surgery. I know a former top player who had it done and is almost completely blind in one eye and can't hardly play at all any more. I would definitely not be price shopping when it came to something like that, I want the guy that Tiger Woods would use, I don't care what it cost. I had a hip surgery a few years back and my doctor was the same guy that did Greg Norman and the quarterback for the Dolphins. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">The guy who did Tiger also did mine. I saw a pretty quick difference in making balls and seeing angles,after I had mine done. I have not competed since then so do not know how much, yet but I can see the balls and angles clear, instead of just trying to guess and shoot. I really got this done because my vison was interfering with reading the signs on the road until I was right on top of them.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
Barbara: Eric,

Just how bad are your eyes? I'm at a -8 with my right eye/-7.5 with the left, and bad astigmatism makes me a bad candidate for the surgery.

Although I have succesfully addicted my Optometrist to my walnuts (his wife/office assistant gets the pecans), he still insists for me to wait, the advance in this type of sugery hasn't gotten to my numbers yet.

Damn, it would be really nice to wake up and not put the alarm clock to my face just to see the numbers.

Barbara~~~blind as the proverbial bat...[endquote]

<font color="blue">My opthomologist told me, when I asked, a few years ago, that I was not a candidate for laser surgery. So I just took him at his word, as it got worse and worse.

Anyway, no disrespect meant to your opthomologist, often they do not know because the technology is often changing and they do not know always what is currently available.

The guy who did mine, as previously mentioned, also did Tiger woods. I had this done in Rockville, md. The surgery is a ''cake walk'. Also, they will give you a free evaluation to see if you are a candidate. It is free, regardless of what you decide.

So, I had pretty bad astigmatism and slight far sightedness and now see clear. Ray had astigmatism and was over 20/400 nearsighted before surgery and now is 20/20 with no astigmatism. He says that he shot pool better after the laser surgery.

Well obviously, it is your decision, but, the evaluation, after all is free, no strings attached.

Laura</font color>