PDA

View Full Version : Two stories for animal lovers

Qtec
06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Schwarzenegger backs speedier killing of strays
Friday, June 25, 2004 Posted: 11:34 AM EDT (1534 GMT)

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to repeal a state law that requires animal shelters to hold stray dogs and cats for up to six days before killing them.

Instead, there would be a three-day requirement for strays. Other animals, including birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes and turtles, could be killed immediately.

Schwarzenegger has told the state Legislature that the changes could save local governments that operate shelters up to $14 million.

An estimated 600,000 dogs and cats are put to death each year in California, including 34,000 in Los Angeles alone.

The waiting period has caused overcrowding and forced some shelters to kill off animals simply to make room for new ones, said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance.

"Because of space limitations, the shelters are being forced to euthanize animals who are otherwise highly adoptable immediately after the holding time," Palmer said.

Despite Schwarzenegger's huge popularity, some political observers think the proposal will meet stiff resistance.

"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible," said Barbara O'Connor, director of the Institute for the Study of Politics and Media at California State University, Sacramento

Friendly Dog Prevents Killing Spree?
Fri Jun 25, 2004 07:56 AM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - A Canadian man, driving a car packed with weapons and ammunition, was intent on killing as many people as possible in a Toronto neighborhood but gave up the plan at the last minute when he encountered a friendly dog, police said on Thursday.
The middle-aged man, who police said was mentally disturbed, had planned to carry out the shooting spree on Wednesday to ensure he would be put in jail permanently, Toronto police said.

He had set himself up in an east-end park to load his weapons and then planned to drive around shooting. He later told police that a dog then approached and started playing with him.

The encounter melted the man's heart, and he then went in search of police to give himself up, police said.

"He happens to be a pet lover, and decided that since there was such a nice dog in the area, that people were too nice and he wasn't going to carry out his plan," Detective Nick Ashley told reporters.

Police found 6,000 rounds of ammunition, two rifles, a shotgun, a semi-automatic pistol, a revolver and an air rifle in the man's car, along with a machete and a hunting knife. The car also contained a throwing knife, a camouflage mask and netting.

Q

moblsv
06-25-2004, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible,"
<hr /></blockquote>

I hate to see this too but if pet owners would just microchip and spay/neuter there would be no problem.

Barbara
06-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Q,

What shelters should really do is find some vets willing to donate their time (and make this tax-deductible) to spay and neuter all animals upon adoption. Or even make the owners go through the expense themselves with a vet's office before they go home with the animal.

The public has to educated about this. Do you know that many pet owners think they can't spay a female until it has gone through its first heat? That's BS! And if this owner lets that animal outside unattended, then you're just asking for a first litter. Then what do you do with the litter?

I also believe in keeping animals inside or in a safe, fenced-off area. I have cats, so I keep my purrballs inside, but will occasionally let them out on a leash and totally supervised.

But I firmly believed that all animals should be spayed/neutered upon adoption. And I've just donated some money to my local shelter just for that purpose.

The problem is with the owners, not the animals.

Barbara

Barbara
06-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah, we microchipped the stray we took in because he insisted on being an indoor/outdoor cat until the first snow came. Then he decided the warm soft carpets indoors were far superior than that white lumpy stuff outdoors that made his paws wet.

When we put the harness and leash on him to go munch on some grass outside, he gets very upset. He really wants to be inside. He has abandonment issues.

Barbara

moblsv
06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Sounds like that cat was lucky to find you.

I'm pretty sure here in Utah the shelters require spay/neuter and microchip as part of the adoption process. Either way, I got my dog, Bomber, from the shelter and microchiped and neutered. He is a mix of Lab and Border Collie and is the most loving animal you could ever hope for.

and also the most spoiled /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
06-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Barbara,

In Florida to adopt a dog from an animal death row you are given a form to have filled out by a vet that neuters it. If not returned they supposedly confiscate the dog. A least that was the policy when I lived there.

Fine, except if it is pregnant no vet will spay her. So it is an automatic death sentence if a pregnant dog is captured.

I have no use for the HSUS. Run by crooks and supported by well intentioned but un-informed people. IMO

ras314
06-25-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr>
I hate to see this too but if pet owners would just microchip and spay/neuter there would be no problem. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I could just see castrating my New Mexico bench show champion Treeing Walker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

moblsv
06-25-2004, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr>
I hate to see this too but if pet owners would just microchip and spay/neuter there would be no problem. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I could just see castrating my New Mexico bench show champion Treeing Walker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I was waiting for one of these responses after I posted that. I had a beautiful pure bred Labrador once that I wanted to breed and didn't neuter.

If *everybody* spayed/neutered we would only have strays. Making the decision to not spay/neuter is fine as long as the owner understands and accepts the responsibility that comes with that, unfortunatly too many don't.

Barbara
06-25-2004, 11:20 AM
No, we're lucky he decided to adopt us!!

I spotted him one July walking down my next door neighbor's driveway. He's an orange striped tabby and I noticed he wasn't neutered. I tried to befriend him as I could tell he didn't belong to anyone so I started feeding him tuna fish from the can on our back deck. He was a nasty curr. He swiped at me with his claws all the time, except when he was eating. (Later we found out how allergic he is to fleas which undoubtedly caused the nastiness)

Anyway, I trapped him in a Hav-a-heart cage and took him to our vet to have him checked out. Funny how he got all quiet in that cage. I could touch him and pet him and he wouldn't try to swipe or bite me. But I wasn't going to take him in cause my other kitty is declawed and this guy had all his weapons. The Vet gave him shots and told me he was about 2 years old. I tried to convince my hubby to get him nuetered before we handed him over to a shelter, but he said no.

We tried to find a home for him, but no one was taking him. Flyers had gone out advertising a found cat, but no one called. I was getting fonder of him as he had this habit of head butting my hand when he wanted to be petted, which wasn't often. My late Kitty Kat used to do that and that kind of endeared him to me.

It was getting to be late October and it was getting cold out and I convinced my hubby to let him onto our enclosed porch for the night. I put a space heater out there with a litter box. He knew how to use the box! So I knew he had been someone's cat. Anyway, he bunked down that Friday night and on Saturday morning I went to check on him and sat on the rattan loveseat while he stretched. He then proceeded to jump into my lap, nudge my hand for scritches, nudge my chin, sat down in my lap, and for the first time ever, purr. That was it!! He was going to be mine. And quite conveniently, my BD was just that week.

So we took him to the vet to get "tutored" (love that Gary Larson cartoon) and kept him inside for a couple weeks. It was kinda hard for him to get used to us and vice versa. He would swipe like crazy at our legs and his claws were very long, and very sharp. Plus, we would come home to a gazillion tufts of fur everywhere from him "playing" with our other cat, Jumior - the Super Alpha Male. No blood, but lots of fur. Eventually, the tufts ceased and the two became friends, but they still fight for the dominance. Junior will NEVER back down to Spike, it's hilarious.

I'm glad we took him in because I'm convinced he would have been unadoptable. I truly belive his shyness in any enclosure is due to the fact he was a shelter kitty and when he got a home, he either got out or became nasty to his owners because of a skin condition he has that makes him miserable and they let him go.

Doesn't matter. He's become Daddy's boy and I'm just the "Food Mommy".

Barbara~~~needs another friskier kitty for The Spike... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
http://www.johnstons.org/roy/comics/farside/fs90.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Around 1990 it was about 10 degrees out on a Sunday night and we heard a cat crying out on the sidewalk. Skinny and freezing. She was glad to see us /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

We checked the newspaper for 2 weeks but nobody claimed her. My ex-wife kept her until about a year ago when she died.

moblsv
06-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Nice story.

It's amazing what an animal's love adds to our lives.

catscradle
06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible,"
<hr /></blockquote>

I hate to see this too but if pet owners would just microchip and spay/neuter there would be no problem.
<hr /></blockquote>

What procedure does "microchip" refer to? I've never heard of it before.

moblsv
06-25-2004, 01:00 PM
It's a chip about the size of a grain of rice that is injected into the pet, behind an ear I think. If you pet is lost and found it can be scanned for it's unique number that is tied to the owner's name and telephone which is stored in an International database.

Troy
06-25-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure about the entire state of California, but in Santa Clara County a fee is paid prior to dog/cat adoption that is refunded after supplying a spay/neuter certificate. This obviously does not assure that spay/neuter is done, but it's a start.

Troy

Kato
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
I live in Florida and I've adopted 2 dogs. One from the Boca Raton Humane Society and one from the Ft Lauderdale Animal Shelter. Both females were already fixed when I got them. I think in Florida they keep them longer than 6 days though.

Kato

highsea
06-25-2004, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Other animals, including birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes and turtles, could be killed immediately.<hr /></blockquote>
Oh man, I can understand hamsters and snakes, but turtles? That's just mean.

-CM

Ralph S.
06-25-2004, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't give up my two cats for anything either. As for the fighting for dominance thing, I know all too well what you mean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Both of my cats are male, one is 16 years old and the other is 3 years. The younger has a very warped personality which leads me to beleive that he is at times the spawn of Satan! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
06-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Ralph,

"Spawn of Satan" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

In the beginnng when Spike and Junior were "getting to know" each other, Pete came home before me from work one day and could not believe the "destruction" that took place in our bedroom. There was fur everywhere!! Both cats' fur, too, as Junior has very sharp teeth.

He left the scene as it was for me to see and warned me first. I could not believe it!! I think I changed a vacuum cleaner bag on that one!!

But it's still so funny watching the "posturing" between these two!!

Barbara