PDA

View Full Version : Being a Champion

Bassn7
06-26-2004, 04:57 PM
A friend of mine wants to know why he's not winning league matches like the other players at or above his level. Although he practices, takes lessons from an awesome instructor and plays for numerous hours a week, he still loses. Why? Because he doesn't "act" like a champion. #1)When I miss a shot, even a game losing shot, I stay quiet and ask myself what did I do? When he misses, there's lots of pissed off screaming out loud at himself. #2)When I miss, I return to my seat and quietly sit down away from the table. When he misses, he stands slightly away from the table, but still standing close, mumbling about his miss.

Are you starting to see a pattern here? Regardless of your skills, acting with honor and politeness goes a long way to becoming a champion.

1Time
06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
He obviously believes his ranting helps. Tell him straight up you've noticed he rants after missing a shot (or whatever he does). Then regardless of any or no reply, tell him you think his ranting may be hurting his game and his chances of winning. Regardless of any or no reply, leave it at that and see what happens after a month or two.

woody_968
06-26-2004, 08:14 PM
We could only wish that honor and politeness was a part of everyones games, but its not. And while I agree that it is important I think his problems go a little deeper than honor.

I read a book a while back by Bob Rotella (SP?) when I was working on my golf game. One of the most powerfull things I learned was to concentrate on what I need to do next, not what has already been done (and cant be changed anyway). It sounds like he dwells on missed shots instead of keeping his head in his next shot, and doing that will keep anyone from performing at their best.

IIRC there was a story a while back about Jack Nicholas. Someone asked him what causes a shank and his reply was I cant tell you because I have never hit a shank. The person continued and stated which tournament and on what hole they saw him hit a shank. Again he replied I have never hit a shank. This kind of thinking (along with incredible tallent) is what made Jack so good, he not only refused to dwell on bad shots, he refused to remember them at all!

Always remember, we can CHOOSE how we think, and to play our best we must choose wisely.

Chris Cass
06-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Hi Bassn7,

Being a champion has nothing to do with maturity. Everyone gets frustrated but if you let it stay in your mind it will effect your focus and concentration. Any neg thoughts will do this. You have to file them and move on. It can also effect your next match down the road. As well as next tourney, and so on.

Just look at the players that are winning any of the events. They talk about everything under the sun but pool. They ask eachother, still in it? Then, it's dropped. You'll never see them talking or hanging long with any player that's bitching about losing. It just isn't constructive and you'll get egnored. Not because they don't care for you but because negativity breeds negative play.

The mistakes one makes is the lessons one learns. One must always think positive, surround yourself with positive people and not give the negative so much more attention than the positive thoughts. Do negative thoughts require special treatment?

I think this guy should also have a qualified instructor. The mental part of the game is also part of the instruction too. A good instructor knows this is a valuable asset of the game as well as your final stroke.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
06-27-2004, 07:28 AM
I wonder if this really a valid statement since this "awesome instructor" has yet to instill the mental part of the game. JAT.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr>takes lessons from an awesome instructor/quote]

pooltchr
06-28-2004, 06:11 AM
C.C. You are correct that the mental process is critical to winning. Imagine you just missed a shot. One reaction is to come down on yourself. "I can't believe I missed that, It must have been that new tip on my cue, How can that happen, AW, $HIT!!!!, etc." The other reaction is, "I missed that one because I wasn't ready, next time I will remember to stick with my pre shot routine."
One reaction just wastes a lot of energy. The other is a positive use of the knowledge learned during the missed shot. It's not brain surgery to figure out which player will have the better chance of making the shot the next time they are at the table.

It's like the old saying goes, If you don't learn from your mistakes, you are bound to repeat them.

Chris Cass
06-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Easy for you to say, your a qualified instructor that knows the importance of the mental aspects of the game. Many students don't know the difference sometimes. They might even go by an instructors play. Sure it's a good feeling when an instructor can wipe the floor with many players and it's impressive BUT, it's more to their advantage to be able to put actions into words. After all, that's what makes an good instructor. Imho One can only hope they get a qualified instructor like yourself. One that knows what a well rounded lesson plan means. That's what makes the qualified so much better. You get the whole anchelodda baby! hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~two thumbs up for pooltchr.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Dr. Bob Rotella and the book's title "Golf is not a game of Perfect" GREAT Book.

A good read for any pool player.