PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Three ball tips?????

AdamQ
06-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Tonight I got suckered into Pocket Three ball: Everybody a
Dollar in, Man with the lowest # of shots takes the pot and a tie rolls the pot over and up. Anybody got any tips on where to break from and what english to use to get a good position or sink one on the break?

1Time
06-27-2004, 05:12 AM
I used to use this with fair success on bar tables:
Put the CB in line with the front ball and the right part of the left corner pocket at the head of the table. Use a closed/low bridge off the rail, shoot top right English, hit the front ball about 1/8 of a ball to the left of center, follow the CB to the back rail, let the roll of the balls do the rest.

woody_968
06-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi Adam, I cant give you a whole lot of advise, its been a long time since I played 3ball. I just wanted to say hi as I noticed you are from Indiana. What part of Indiana do you live in?

Popcorn
06-27-2004, 09:48 AM
You can put the cue ball 3/4 of the way to the side rail and hit the second ball. It will often bank up and down the table one or two rails letting you do it in three shots. You can use a soft break and do it in four every time but that is only good if you are last and know what the others have done.

AdamQ
06-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Evansville. Been playing at The Jungle/Fat Cats Cigar Bar (Free 8ft Table) lot of money down there!!!

larrynj1
06-27-2004, 11:36 AM
cue ball a little left of the foot spot, hit a soft break with low right, just enough to bounce the cue ball off the right side rail. the right corner ball will bank toward the left corner pocket(your 1st shotwith high left), the right cornercorner ball will bank out toward the center of the table (2nd shot into right corner w/stun) and the left corner ball will be between the left side and left corner pocket. i usually play the last ball in the side. a three score can win lots of times, and it can often guarantee a tie and another round if there's lots of cash in the pot.

practice a few times to find the right break speed to get a consistent layout.

ras314
06-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Everybody thinks they have some magick break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One I like is the cb on the head spot, hit the top ball square with center ball to a little top. Idea is to hold the cb in the middle of the table, doesn't have to be a real hard break. Both wing balls will run three rails towards the side pocket IF (big if!) you are given a perfect rack.

During a long session you will usually make money if you shoot solid 4's. Resist the urge for the 2 in 1 shot unless it is very easy or someone already has a 3 or better. Much better to tie and roll the pot over than to get greedy and lose.

larrynj1
06-27-2004, 03:07 PM
the only way to make balls on the 3 ball break is - luck -or smash the living hell out them.

ras314
06-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Best as I can tell a "wack hell out of 'em break" doesn't help. At least not for me. Does help blow off steam from that last stupid shot though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luck is a different story. Had a wacked out druggy get in our regular 3 ball game and make a ball on the break at least 3 out of 4 trys. Thank goodness he couldn't run 2 friggen balls.

woody_968
06-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I played the Arthritis tourny down there a few months ago, I live in Terre Haute.

Popcorn
06-27-2004, 04:48 PM
"the only way to make balls on the 3 ball break is - luck -or smash the living hell out them."

Not at all, just try what I said in my other post. As much as one in three you will bank the back ball in one (A) or two rails (B)(see wie). Before writing this in went in the other room and tried it to be sure I was right about the percentage. The best part is, the ball on the spot never moves and the other back ball just goes back and forth, sometimes going in one of the corners in which case you may do it in two. either way if you bank in the back ball you have an easy out for the other two balls. Next time you are at the pool room try it.

START(
%AN7O5%CA2Z5%DA7[8%EM7P1%FB0Z4%GB5[1%HM7N8%IB6\2%JC0[1%KA3[2
%LA6Z7%MB0Y8%NB6Z8%OA7Z2%Pg6G2%Qr5B7%RC3C0%UE7D4%V s0F9%WN9N1
%Xf9G4%YC1M5%ZM1N3%[q7D7%\C1M2%]r4G2%^C3M1
)END

Rod
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Tables break different, even if they are the same size and mfg. You have to experiment with control, otherwise it's just a hard break and most likely without accuracy. There are different breaks as suggested and I have one that works well for me. Don't get me wrong I'm not really a three ball player, I've just played it on and off over the years.

I hit the head ball square, no english, varying my c/b position, and speed, with control. The object is to make the corner balls 4 rails and force the head ball into the left corner from appx this position.

I have made several 1's but you usually make one of the corner balls. The table does make a difference but it has worked for me. If you control whitey you'll almost always have a shot and making one ball is good odds. If you get three's all night you'll do ok depending on who's playing. You might even sneak in some two's, you'll do better. lol

Here is the diagram, more or less a standard break position.

Wei table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html)

I had to use up all the arrows, ha ha START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM6N8%Pg7J3%UD1[4%Vp4C2%WD0W7%XP5M9%YC4[5%ZO2N9
%[r9G0%\G7[2%]r7W8%^F9C2%_C6F1%`D8G1%aL6N1%bD5D6%cn7[4%ds3X1
)END

highsea
06-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Take a close look at the rack each turn. When we play, the guy who just finished his turn racks for the next guy. Usually the rack will favor one side, and sometimes the headball isn't quite frozen.

When I see this, I kick softly off the foot rail into the back of the cluster. A lot of times I can make the head ball in one of the upper corners. The other 2 balls will usually be left near the side pockets.

START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM7N8%Ph6U5%WD2Q0%Xg5U4%YK6P0%ZC2P7%[r2D1%\O7O2

)END

-CM