PDA

View Full Version : Will To Win Switch

cycopath
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
If your will to win was a switch and you could have it turned on, but only permanently, would you do it?

With this switch engaged your competitive edge would always being running 100%. You could not take off your 'speed' for anyone. Would you still do it?

You could no longer shoot for fun. You always shoot to win. Your friends and family would have nothing to do with you anymore, as far as a billiard table is concerned. Would you still do it?

Sid_Vicious
06-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Nope...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
06-28-2004, 10:27 AM
No

sigep1967
06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
I thought that was how you were supposed to play?

tateuts
06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
My switch is always on. I once beat four guests in 8 ball. They each got a shot to my one, with me shooting behind my back. I think they enjoyed it.

Chris

Tom_In_Cincy
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
During competition YES.

During practice, its more of an investigation (execute and inspect results)

Playing with friends (practicing, my strategy is always 'testing' alternatives)

Besides, the 'will to win' is not my driving force to compete.

I "Trust" my decisions while competing and never 'judge' them.

I "Accept" my results, once again, no judging.

I also rely on my 'pre-shot routine' to focus on the shot.

If I can play well and win, I have accomplished my goal of playing well. If I can play well and lose, I still have accomplished my goal.

Someone is always going to be better, or get the rolls to win. Sometimes it you, sometimes its your opponent.

bill190
06-28-2004, 12:38 PM
No way! It is amazing how many times I miss a shot on purpose or lose a game on purpose. Sometimes during long week night tournaments, it is late, I am tired, and want to go home. I like to be able to go home when I want, so I find creative ways to lose my game. Sometimes it is actually quite difficult to lose a game. I set them up with straight in shots (helps me practice position shots except I'm missing my ball and leaving them with good position), break up their clusters, etc. and they still can't win!

Also if playing friends for practice, they don't like it if you win every game. They won't play you any more. Best to lose a few games every now and then.