PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Help

Candyman
06-27-2004, 05:50 PM
A friend of mine is about two weeks away from opening a pool room with 12 tables. He had been counting on a couple of experienced people to run his tournaments, but they have crapped out on him. I have played in enough to know, that you have to expect the unexpected. Are there any publications available that would possibly help him decide which formats to use and how to go about the advertising and organizing aspects of putting on small weekly(?) events?

Rod
06-27-2004, 06:15 PM
I won't be of much help but he should consider the player ratings he is trying to attract. Average to somewhat above like short races so the tourney won't last to late, like race to three. If that is the case there is no need for handicaping. Then there would have to be a limit on skill level. Or higher rated players race to 4, that sort of thing. I think the biggest draw is from avg to above avg players. The good players don't show up that often, unless they like the format. It has to be fair or you'll chase the bread and butter (lower rated players) away.

DialUp
06-27-2004, 06:45 PM
The best tournaments I have played in for a small pool hall was:

Race to two
8 Ball
Double Elimination
BCA Rules

The race to 2 was nice since you could get home at a decent time. We had a good turnout as well. The same players showed up twice a week for well over a year.

The only handicapping rule we had (which was not handicaped at all) was - If you won, you could not play the next week. I did not like that since I would have to skip a week but it seemed to work well for the bar...

I now live in phoenix and there is a rating system down here that all the pool halls seem to stick to. From what I can tell, not to many people seem to like handicapping systems, or at least the one down here...

Candyman
06-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks Rod. You brought up some good points. Another bar that has weekly tournaments has experienced just what you were talking about. He started out with about thirty players and it has dwindled to 6-8. It didn't take the lesser skilled players long to figure out it was a pointless endeavor. Establishing skill levels sounds good, but in our area you see new faces every week with the same old lie. Once they have played enough you know their speed. It just seems like a never ending problem with the skill level bitching. Thanks, Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Candyman
06-27-2004, 07:45 PM
You might try letting the winner start out in the losers bracket the next week.

Barbara
06-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Lock,

I would suggest contacting Mr Ingrate (Dave Syrja) on this board for his tournament software and even his pool room management software.

I like his tourament software very much. I'm recommending for mapping the next Super Billiards Expo amateur events in 2005.

Barbara

Candyman
06-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass on to the room owner. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bill190
06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Find out where all the other tournaments are in your area within 50 miles. Go to each tournament to verify times and fees. Note names of each location, phone, and address. Make up sheet listing area tournaments and give to each player attending your tournament. Print courtesy of [pool hall name] at top of sheet. Keep going to other tournaments and tell people about your new tournament.

Pay outs...
$3 and 50% added is the most common in my area. Pay 1st (50%), 2nd (30%), and 3rd (20%).

Also charge 25 cents for each scratch. This goes into a kitty for 4th place. If 4th place is higher than 3rd (lots of scratching in 9-ball), switch the pay-outs so 3rd is higher than 4th.

Note: 3rd and 4th places are *very* important to lesser skilled players. Many times players who have never won any money will make it to 3rd or 4th. (Winners change each week) They are very happy to win *anything* and will brag about it for weeks. Does not matter if they only get $3, $6, or whatever. The hot-shots will protest this (want every nickel), but do it anyway.

Rules...
If 9 ball, BCA rules.
If 8 ball, call pocket keeps 'em from arguing about shots. Open after the break helps to keep the games moving along. Cue ball in kitchen after scratch will get the old timers to come.

Changing rules...
Everybody and their brother will tell you to change this, that and the other thing. DON'T change a thing unless it makes the tournament run more smoothly or prevents arguments. Stick to your guns.

Race to?
If during a week night when the next day is a work day, try to end by 10:00 PM. People have to get up early for work. If this means a race to one with 8-ball, so be it! Also best to keep the same format each week. Changing the format or rules will confuse some people. Be consistant.

Banning "A" players...
Don't ban the top players. You will find that the same people do not always win. It is a challenge for the lesser skilled players to kock these guys out of the tournament.

Instructions about tournament "brackets" (player charts)...
http://www.redemption.com/downloads/tournament_brackets.pdf

APA player charts...
http://www.poolplayers.com/materials.html

APA Bye Sequencing Chart...
(Link also at bottom of above link)
http://www.poolplayers.com/boards/MATCH-BYE-SEQUENCING-CHART.pdf

Player charts for specific number of players...
(Read carefully - First set is double elimination)
http://www.crowsdarts.com/brackets/tourn.html

Free Tournament Listing...
http://www.pooltourneys.com