PDA

View Full Version : 9ball vs 8ball-which is the harder game

bluewolf
06-27-2004, 07:23 PM
I have kind of been wondering about this for awhile. Is one easier than the other or does it depend on the person, where their strengths and weaknesses lie?

9ball seems a bit easier for me than 8ball and I am not really sure why. Like if I play a non runout 9ball player, says someone who typically outs in 2 innings or three, I seem to do better with them than when I play the same skill player in 8ball.

So which, do you think is harder and why?

Laura

DialUp
06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
For me, 8 Ball is easier. Most likely it is because I have been palying it for several years and only started playing Nine 4 or 5 years ago. IMO, the better player almost always wins at 8 Ball.

So I guess 9 Ball would be the easier game for most people because of the slop and having your opponent do some work for you.

8 is a much funner game though. There is more strategy and staying in line is not as important /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jimmy B
06-28-2004, 01:33 AM
9-ball is easier in concept yet harder in execution. Both have their own strategies that need to be learned but to say which is harder is a tough question. It is easier to B&R in 8-ball, does that make it easier??? Who knows.

JB

landshark1002000
06-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Hi Bluewolf:

Two very different games; makes it hard to say which is harder.

8 ball is a strategy game, complex... like chess.

9 ball is a skill game, much simpler.... by analogy it's like checkers in complexity.

8 ball involves choices you never have in 9 ball. (Like which ball to shoot next.)

9 ball is like a video game where you make a mistake and your opponent plays from exactly where you stopped (and you both have the same balls!)

8 ball has two separate "ball chains". Each player uses the defensive shape of his own ball group to defend pockets and tablespace ( to limit the other guy's cueball freedom.) He does this until there's the oportunity to break out his last trouble ball.

No trouble balls = an open table and the runout begins.

Harder? I don't know.

I like chess; so I prefer 8 ball. Lots of room for opinion though.

Ted

raistlin
06-28-2004, 05:20 AM
I watched two of the top guys over here practicing for the 8 and 9 ball world qualifiers. Basically, they did race to 11 8 ball, then race to 11 9 ball, and so on for a few hours.

Long story short, these guys were putting 3 and 4 packs on each other in both games regularly. I would say that if you can kick backside in one, you are going to do well in the other.

Dave Q ---> has no clue which one is harder.

shoutout33
06-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Well, I think a lot has to do with the area you play in too. Let me explain. I've played pool since I can remember because my Dad owned a bar pool table (the ones that you put money in...) at our house. I was introduced to 8-ball and rotation (not 14.1 though...) and I became relatively good at it.

Fast foward to Mobile, AL where the game of 9-ball and one pocket. Well, 9-ball gave me the urge to want to attack everthing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Even though that's really not a good strategy, that's basically what 9-ball is, an offensive minded type of game. One-pocket, on the other hand, gave me that chess game I needed to even me out and helped me play better 9-ball. (Heck, I think one-pocket can help anyone play any game better! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Anywho, every now and then I would play 8-ball, and it was easier to apply some of the things I learned in one-pocket to 8-ball, because even though you had the same amount of balls on the table and you had all of the pockets at your desposal, if you played your innings correctly, you could still give even a better player a small headache every now and then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fast foward to Washington D.C., and the introduction of 8-ball...again. Well, for what it's worth (and to make a long story short...) I played in some APA leagues here in D.C., and I did ok. Although I was ranked a 3, I was considered a "strong 3/weak 4" and I could on my better days, beat a solid 4 and a weak 5. The only reason I stayed at a 3 was because I wasn't consistent with my winning. Beat a five one week and lose to a 2 the next. LOL! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been told that 8-ball is easier than 9-ball, in some ways I can see why it would be, but for some reason, I excell and/or thrive off of 9-ball (one-pocket too if I could find someone with enough time and patience to play with...). Heck, I love to break the balls because of 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif My cousin told me this (and he's rated a 6 in APA I think...), "Your good at 8-ball, but you have plenty of room to improve. Your strength and ability is in 9-ball, because that's what you like to play." 'Nuff said! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif