PDA

View Full Version : Not all sports look good on TV

PQQLK9
06-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Posted on Sun, Jun. 27, 2004

Not all sports look good on TV

By Deb Smith
American News Sports Writer

Television is a good fit for some sports but for others the cameras just don't do the sport justice. In my case, I have a short attention span and rarely watch a complete sporting event.

With this character flaw in mind, here are my 10 favorite sports to watch on TV. They are in no particular order.

Professional and college football. The game lends itself to TV. There are a few seconds after every play to digest what happened. To make it perfect, do away with the sideline announcers and have John Madden work every game.

Men's and women's college basketball. It's more structured than its professional counterpart and shows the beauty of teamwork and strategy. Plus, traveling and fouls get called in the college game.

Baseball. A leisurely game that's a bonanza for lovers of trivia. Watching baseball on TV is like swinging on the front porch in the summer - calm and cool.

Softball. A shorter version of baseball. It only takes a little more than an hour. In comparison to baseball, the softball players stay cleaner and don't spit and scratch as much.

Tennis. The TV cameras are on the baselines, which makes it easier on the neck than watching in person from the sidelines. Spectators on TV don't have to swivel their heads back and forth to follow the ball during long rallies.

Poker. It's all the rage. I like seeing the players' cards and the strategy. Plus, I don't lose any money. I didn't know that players sometimes curl or bend the cards in their hands.

Billiards. The politically correct term for pool. You get to see the whole table and the strategy involved in setting up the next shot. Plus, the competitors usually dress up.

Professional Golf. But, only after the 13th hole. It gets too confusing with 10 or 12 of the top golfers on 10 or 12 different holes using 10 or 12 different clubs. Once the contenders get pared down to three or four, the fun begins. Figure skating. Television enhances an already elegant and graceful sport. Even the long programs only take a few minutes.

Rodeo. Captures the speed and power of the animals and competitors. The bull riding is especially good. I could never stay on a bull for eight seconds but I can pay attention for that long.

Here are my 10 least favorite sports to watch on TV in no particular order.

Ice hockey. My eyes aren't fast enough to follow the puck. I'm always looking away when a goal is scored and even on replays I can't see it. I watch "Law and Order" and "CSI" to see bloody bodies.

Soccer. I'm going to catch heat for this one. It's a great sport but on television the field is too big and the scoring is too sparse.

Men's pro basketball. The court is too small and the players are too big. Raise the baskets by three feet and make the court 50 feet longer and wider.

Any sport that is preceded by the word "extreme."

Volleyball. I absolutely adore this sport but it doesn't fare well on TV. The game is fast and in a confined space. Cameras just can't keep up.

Equestrian. My apologies to South Dakota State.

Races. Any people, horse or car races should be limited to one lap or less. After the opening lap it's too hard to keep track. Racing of all kinds is best viewed in person.

Swimming. Too many lanes are side-by-side and it's hard to see because the competitors are underwater part of the time. This is another sport that should be watched in person.

Pro bowling. There are too many strikes. Wouldn't you rather watch somebody pick up a tough spare?

Olympics in general. I understand the logistics of covering multiple events at the same time, but it jumps around too much.
Deb Smith is an American News Sports Writer and can be reached at (800) 925-4100, ext. 311; or e-mail debsmith@aberdeennews.com.

moblsv
06-28-2004, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
Professional and college football. The game lends itself to TV. There are a few seconds after every play to digest what happened. To make it perfect, do away with the sideline announcers and have John Madden work every game.

<font color="blue">My personal favorite to watch, and yes, I like John Madden. It seems everybody I know loves him or hates him as an announcer.</font color>

Baseball. A leisurely game that's a bonanza for lovers of trivia. Watching baseball on TV is like swinging on the front porch in the summer - calm and cool.

<font color="blue">My personal favorite as a game. MLB has major issues to overcome if they want my money.</font color>

Billiards. The politically correct term for pool. You get to see the whole table and the strategy involved in setting up the next shot. Plus, the competitors usually dress up.

<font color="blue">Good to see this made the list. Preaching to the choir here.</font color>

Professional Golf. But, only after the 13th hole. It gets too confusing with 10 or 12 of the top golfers on 10 or 12 different holes using 10 or 12 different clubs. Once the contenders get pared down to three or four, the fun begins

<font color="blue">I have a hard time understanding the draw. I love playing the game and have a single digit handicap but I've never been able to watch it.</font color>

Men's pro basketball. The court is too small and the players are too big. Raise the baskets by three feet and make the court 50 feet longer and wider.

<font color="blue">Stupid game.</font color>

Any sport that is preceded by the word "extreme."

<font color="blue">Wakeboarding would be much better if they covered the entire flow of a run instead of cuts of a few 'tricks'. It's rarely on anyway for some reason. :-( </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

SteveEllis
06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Posted on Sun, Jun. 27, 2004

Not all sports look good on TV

<hr /></blockquote>

I think tv doesn't do justice to any sport, and I think even watching them live is pretty boring compared to actually participating. However I'll watch when I'm bored:

Poker, but it isn't a sport and I wish you'd see really poker instead of that hold 'em nonsense.

Pool, because I play it and it is entertaining.

Soccer, because I still play it even at my advanced age. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Football, maybe the Patriots because they're local, but nobody else.

And, oh yeah, any sport with nice looking girls playing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mred477
06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ice hockey. My eyes aren't fast enough to follow the puck. I'm always looking away when a goal is scored and even on replays I can't see it. I watch "Law and Order" and "CSI" to see bloody bodies. <hr /></blockquote>

There's nothing better than a game 7 during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, even if it is on TV. Hockey is the greatest sport to watch live. The athletes on the ice are amazing. Anyone who's never seen a game live should go...even the minor leagues are really impressive.

Will