PDA

View Full Version : I cracked open a Valley cue ball

Wally_in_Cincy
06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
I bought a couple of the new aramith bar table cue balls with the green logo and replaced the cue balls at the local tavern with them.

Naturally I had to take one of the old CB's home and crack it open with a hammer and chisel. Inside was a spring, about 3/4" diameter (I forgot to measure that), the wire was .100" in diameter and it went all the way thru the ball.

BTW the diameter of the ball was .252".

I had tried to explain to my teammates that the CB rolled off not due to the table not being level, but due to the CB being unbalanced. They thought I was crazy. Now I have proof.

Fred Agnir did the same thing about a year ago and posted pics. I don't remember if he measured the diameter of the wire. It's a thin wire but I assume it would be heavy enough to cause a roll-off.

Oh, the things we do in the name of science.

I will post in the future about the performance of the green logo CB's.

Rod
06-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Wally,

What kind of mic did you use? lol Another thing that adds to the roll off is being worn but most will roll crooked when new. Getting rid of that wire cage is an improvment.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
06-28-2004, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ...What kind of mic did you use?...<hr /></blockquote>

analog dial caliper.

When I quit my long-time job in 1995 working for a furniture manufacturer I gave that to myself as a going away present /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, courtesy of the company.

Fred Agnir
06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Fred Agnir did the same thing about a year ago and posted pics. <hr /></blockquote>

Inside a Valley "Cage" Cueball (http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Inside.JPG)

Closer View (http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Closer.JPG)

Fred

Candyman
06-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Quote Wally:

----------------------------------------------------------
It must have been difficult getting a good draw on that puppy.Lol Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-28-2004, 05:11 PM
It has a dial indicator? I have one to. Somehow I think you didn't read the inch mark quite right. You might want to check again. That is smaller than your shaft. Nothing personal--lol

Wally_in_Cincy
06-29-2004, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> It has a dial indicator? I have one to. Somehow I think you didn't read the inch mark quite right. You might want to check again. That is smaller than your shaft. Nothing personal--lol <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let me try this again /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The diameter of the ball was 2.252".

Yeh, it's a caliper with a dial indicator, a must-have for a forensic pool detective.

Wally &lt;~~only mildly senile /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-29-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> Quote Wally:

----------------------------------------------------------
It must have been difficult getting a good draw on that puppy.Lol Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lock, coincidentally that is the size of my brain as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candyman
06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Wally, I have been around my wife so long, I knew exactly what you meant. You are still the man!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
06-30-2004, 02:43 AM
I think every few years someone should crack one of these puppies open. We will never know what advancements they make in these balls if we don't stay on top of them:-)

JB

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2004, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I think every few years someone should crack one of these puppies open. We will never know what advancements they make in these balls if we don't stay on top of them:-)

JB <hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy B, I agree. I'm sure Valley has a team of engineers devoted to cue ball technology advancement /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I heard that next year they are going with a galvanized coil /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe Fred will get a wild hair and open one of those new green logo balls. In the name of science.