PDA

View Full Version : Cuemaker feedback....

shoutout33
06-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Hello again ya'll. I need your help again concerning some cuemakers here. Now, I know that you all have recommended the following:

-Blackheart Cues
-Omen Cues
-Auerbach Cues

I need to know about these three cuemakers:

-Coker Cues, BCM Cues, and Viatorre Cues.

I've spoken with Coker and Brian, but I have not receieved a return email from Viattore. This is not an issue, but I really would like to know whose tried any of these cues and what you honestly feel about them as a playing cue.

BCM has a really nice website and he seems like a really nice person to do business with. I really like the joint he uses and the fact that he does both traditional and CNC work. I prefer traditional though.

One thing I really, really, like about Coker cues so far, is that: a) people are comparing them to South West's b) I can get their base cue with rings throughout, at no extra cost c) I get a 2nd regular shaft (with rings too...) with their base cue, at no extra cost, and d) Michi Coker is an absolute angel! Priceless! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mean, you can get a really, really, nice looking and playing from Coker, and not have to spend money out the wazoo to get either. Two shafts...with a plain-jane!!! That's unheard of people! Well, at least to me it is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've seen Viatorre's website as well, and they seem to have some really nice stuff also.

So, if you all could give me some quick, honest replies soon, it'd be greatly appreciated! (Sorry for being pushy too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Rod
06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I really, really, like about Coker cues so far, is that: a) people are comparing them to South West's b) I can get their base cue with rings throughout, at no extra cost c) I get a 2nd regular shaft (with rings too...) with their base cue, at no extra cost, and d) Michi Coker is an absolute angel! Priceless!

I mean, you can get a really, really, nice looking and playing from Coker, and not have to spend money out the wazoo to get either. Two shafts...with a plain-jane!!! That's unheard of people! Well, at least to me it is. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like you have found the cue company. When people compare cues it is not out of the ordinary to compare some to a Southwest. But do you know what a Southwest plays like? If you do or any other cue, what type of construction, joint, shaft size, ferrule, tip etc? It all makes a difference and it is very subjective. When someone says it "hits" like a Southwest or any other cue, what does it really mean? Not much if you don't know details as mentioned.

The things you might compare is price, quality, construction etc. and service. People will give you their "opinion" which is a helpful but it should be based on the above. The other as mentioned is very subjective and you can't feel what they like. It is difficult, if not impossible, unless you have played with the exact same cue to make that comparison yourself. Just a few thoughts and I have played with a Southwest but I didn't like it. Another one with different construction (like in the first paragraph) might be just fine. I'd hesitate to rule out any custom cues because I didn't like just one.

Rod

miko
06-28-2004, 10:01 PM
I have just received my Viattorre a few weeks ago. My cue is the one in the Gallery named MIKO. So far, I love the way their shafts play. Puts a lot of spin on the cueball and hits pretty solid. I'm switching to my Viattorre from my Dayton as my main playing cue. The finish on the Viattorre is really top notch too. Way better than my Dayton.

Jimmy B
06-29-2004, 02:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr>
One thing I really, really, like about Coker cues so far, is that: a) people are comparing them to South West's
<hr /></blockquote>

If by "PEOPLE" you mean the jerks on E-bay then I agree. I have yet to find one that hit's like a SW. IMO if you want a cue that "HITS LIKE A SW" then go buy a SW. This is all hype used to sell these cues and it's B@llSh*T. I'm not saying that the cues they make aren't good quality, I have tried about 5 of them and they were all solid, but not Southwests. IMO if you want a Coker do so because you want a cue that hits like a Coker.

Also I have dealt with Bryan in the past and he makes a nice cue and his prices are very reasonable, I have seen many on e-bay for around $300 and they looked great.

JB

pooltchr
06-29-2004, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> So far, I love the way their shafts play. Puts a lot of spin on the cueball and hits pretty solid. <hr /></blockquote>

Not to be difficult here, but I believe it is the player's stroke that puts spin on the cueball much more than the cue.
Steve~~~has never seen a cue stick do anything unless it was in the player's hands.

Chris Cass
06-29-2004, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> So far, I love the way their shafts play. Puts a lot of spin on the cueball and hits pretty solid. <hr /></blockquote>

Not to be difficult here, but I believe it is the player's stroke that puts spin on the cueball much more than the cue.
Steve~~~has never seen a cue stick do anything unless it was in the player's hands. <hr /></blockquote>

That's cause you haven't found the switch. Mines located about 2 inches from the start of the wrap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~see you caught that too. LOL Ride on Miko.

pooltchr
06-29-2004, 08:21 AM
You "high tech" guys continue to amaze me. I'm still shooting with the old manual style cue.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve~~~watching the world pass him bye /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JohnBarton
06-29-2004, 08:25 AM
I have played with a few Cokers and they were very similar in hit to my Southwest. I don't know if all of them hit the same but the two that I played with (and almost bought) were extremely similar, so much so that I probably would not have been able to tell the difference with eyes closed.

The Omen is a good cue. I have owned only one, a break/jump cue which was well built and solid. Others I have inspected and shot with in Valley Forge and I would reccommend them based on that.

Don't know about BCM or Viatorre.

John
www.cuecaserepair.com (http://www.cuecaserepair.com)

Rich R.
06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> You "high tech" guys continue to amaze me. I'm still shooting with the old manual style cue.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Hold out for the computerized version. You won't be disapointed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
When they start using GPS technology to map a run-out, they will have my undivided attention! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

miko
06-29-2004, 09:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> So far, I love the way their shafts play. Puts a lot of spin on the cueball and hits pretty solid. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve~~~has never seen a cue stick do anything unless it was in the player's hands. <hr /></blockquote>

The reason I'm saying that my new cue puts more spin is simply because I can put more action on the cueball when using my new cue compared to my Dayton. I'm not sure if it's because of the taper.

pooltchr
06-30-2004, 05:36 AM
If anything, I would think it might be the tip, more than the taper, but I still think it's more how you handle the cue. Just my opinion. As an instructor, I believe much more in the skill and actions of the player than I do in the differences in equipment. I suppose a pool cue salesman or cuemaker might not agree.
Steve

BLACKHEART
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm always curious, when a player says he can get more "action" or "spin" on the Qball. What does that mean? More right or left side spin or more draw OR WHAT?...JER /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi JER,

It's usually draw their talking about. I think it's more like the tip and the tapper of the shaft. That's why so many players buy Meucci cues. They do it for the wip. They also haven't learned that you don't need a ton of juice to get from a to b. You need angles. I don't think Miko is one but I've heard this.

Regards,

C.C.

BLACKHEART
06-30-2004, 07:39 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifHi Chris, it's the same thing when someone asks for a smaller tip size. I ask them "do you have small fingers &amp; want the stroking area of the shaft smaller" or "do you just want the TIP area smaller, to get some kind of special English or draw." They usually say "I don't know, I just heard that a smaller tip is better". They really have no idea...JER

Frank_Glenn
07-01-2004, 02:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifHi Chris, it's the same thing when someone asks for a smaller tip size. I ask them "do you have small fingers &amp; want the stroking area of the shaft smaller" or "do you just want the TIP area smaller, to get some kind of special English or draw." They usually say "I don't know, I just heard that a smaller tip is better". They really have no idea...JER <hr /></blockquote>

These same guys, when asked what type of tip they want, will look at you quizically and say "leather". Cracks me up.

miko
07-01-2004, 02:37 AM
I totally agree with you that its more of the player rather than the equipment. I myself am not sure why I get more right/left english on my new cue. The tips and ferrule on my new cue and my previous cue is the same. Moori M on ivory ferrules. I kept overshooting my positioning when I first used my new cue. I'm not sure though if it is also because of the weight of the cue. My new cue weighs around .5 oz more.

Rod
07-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Confidence, most likely. It might be short lived or long lasting. It does improve your stroke. No other reason.