PDA

View Full Version : Which joint do you like?

trailboss
06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I only have experiance with 3 types... phenolic to phenolic = soft medium hit. metal to phenolic = medium hard hit. metal to metal = hard hit. What about brass and others? Please give me your input as to what you like and why? Maybe we can all learn a thing are two! Thanks.

ryushen21
06-28-2004, 06:05 PM
wood to wood, preferably a radial pin. gives a very nice hit. it seems like it is being offered on a lot more cues these days.

Cueless Joey
06-28-2004, 06:29 PM
The best joint come from Jamaica. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
06-28-2004, 06:59 PM
That's some good $hit. lol

Frank_Glenn
06-28-2004, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The best joint come from Jamaica. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Dunno, I had some stuff in Pakistan once in the 70's, I could tell you about it, but then I would have to kill ya. I was in Jamaca in the 70's, too. You could see the stuff growing on the side of the mountain.

Cueless Joey
06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
I heard those joints from Oregon are nice too.
But, I'm a government employee so I just touch the stogees. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Oh, cue joint?
Buckhorn collars with 3/8 11 pin for me.
Those 3/8 12 Tad ACME pins are nice too except I can't find a thread mill with a 14-degree thread mill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

crawdaddio
06-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Ahhhhhhh, Oregon /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Brought back some memories there.......
I agree, I REALLY like the buckhorn 3/8-11.........
sweet hittin'

dr_billiards
06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
wood to wood with a radial pin

Chris Cass
06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't know about that Joey. I think it's Hawaii. Then again the Thailand group thinks their $hit don't stink. HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~what time is it? 420?

Chris Cass
06-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Big pin 3/8th 11 with a wood to wood joint. S/S is tough for me but I'm trying.

C.C.

stickman
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
I like Phenolic w/Uni-loc.

PoOn
06-29-2004, 01:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The best joint come from Jamaica. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote> nah the best joint is in my backyard... my own breed... i kind of like the uni-lock joint i have it on my lucasi...

Jimmy B
06-29-2004, 02:06 AM
I don't feel it's a question with a real answer, the joint isn't the only factor in the hit/feel of the cue. If you take one comparison as an example. Coker cues has all but copied Southwest cues from the bumper up and out of all the ones I've tried (about 5) I have yet to find one that hit close to a SW. Now that's not saying they don't hit good, to me that's too subjective and I won't preach as to what you like. But the question is how come two cues with the same joint combo. I will also add that I have tried cues by the same maker with the same joint set up that hit different and I don't mean slightly different. If I were designing a cue from the ground up I'd go with a big pin and a flat face, Ivory or implex as long as you have W2W you'll do ok. Of course just my opinion.

JB

pooltchr
06-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Personally, I like the radial pin w/w joint. But that is just my opinion. I heard the Rodney Morris tried the RP for a while, and went back to the stainless joint. That worked better for him. I don't think there is any one that is best, just different.

Leviathan
06-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Wood-to-wood with a Radial pin gives a very solid hit and lots of feel, but I'm okay with wood-to-wood and a 5/16-18 pin also. I gather that the Radial pins are available in stainless steel, titanium, brass, and aluminum. Looks like this would give cuemakers some useful flexibility in balancing cues. I won't have a cue with a stainless joint (sleeve)--don't like the hit or the appearance.

AS

CarterCues
06-29-2004, 06:52 AM
3/8-11 Titanium with an Ivory or Buckhorn Joint

Chopstick
06-29-2004, 01:33 PM
I have a couple wood to wood radial pin Predators. Hate em both. The most interesting ping I have seen was on a Dishaw cue. He told me they were used in orthopedic surgery. One full turn of the shaft on the end of the screw and it was solid enough to hit.

I have a Southwest that's really solid but Dishaw's was better.

RedHell
06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
The Layani conical joint is quite interesting. It give a solid hit with maximum contact surface. That little hairline gap is mind boggling tho !