PDA

View Full Version : is this a big spot?

mike_in_iowa
06-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Scott Lee was over today and was giving me a hard time about my post where I offered a C player the spot where to win all he had to do was make the 9 hit the end rail. I have never had anybody take me up on that spot and was wondering how bad the player would have to be not to win like that.
We played a quick race to 3 with those rules in effect(for him not me). The nine ball went to the other end of the table 2 out of 4 breaks(small sampling). But at that point the spot was negated mostly. So after that the game was even from then on out.
Now it does seem that this spot shouldn't count on the break but it doesn't seem that hard to outrun. Now you would have to string a rack or two together to win but I think it could be done.
If any of you have time, try it out and tell what you think about this spot and how often it comes up

Mike

PS. Scott won 3-1.

Barbara
06-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey Mike!!

Try playing Scott in "Last Pocket 8-ball".

I beat him at once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And it's a great game!!!

Barbara

Rod
06-28-2004, 06:51 PM
I played this a little a few years ago. It was given to very low rated players. I think they got a game spot on top of that. In other words I go to ten and them to four. I didn't have to like that. Jeez now hitting the end rail is no problem for me either. lol

It can be played two ways, the 9 must hit the end rail to win, or it can be pocketed as well and hit the end rail. Which is the way we played.

I'd say giving it to a C rated player would be a tough nut to crack. It can wear on you. I won some games but not all, I even seen Roger Griffis loose giving up that kind of spot. Both mine and his was at a local weekly tournament.

SPetty
07-22-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> ...I offered a C player the spot where to win all he had to do was make the 9 hit the end rail.

If any of you have time, try it out and tell what you think about this spot and how often it comes up<hr /></blockquote>Hi Mike,

My husband doesn't like losing. He also doesn't like it when I lose on purpose. I tried giving him other spots, but they didn't work. He won't play with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I begged him to play me with this spot. He did. He won. He tried to pocket the 9 when he was on it, but even if he missed, he won because the 9 would hit the end rail. He slopped the 9 into the rail a few times. He intentionally combo'd the 9 into the rail a few times. It seemed that he enjoyed it once he got the hang of it.

He had fun because he won. I couldn't beat him (that day...). (My excuse is that I was so used to playing him poorly that I forgot to play hard until we were almost finished playing.)

The one thing I did notice is that I had to pay extra attention to the cue ball position due to the easy 9 combo/carom possibilities that were available. That probably caused me a few missed shots.

Anyway, from this experience, I'd have to say it's a giant spot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jimmy B
07-23-2004, 03:37 AM
The carny spot I've always heard was that the whole rail is a pocket for him, any ball that hits that rail is considered down. The trick is it also counts for the cueball and you end up with many BIH's.

JB