PDA

View Full Version : 1925 Monarch Cushion billiards table

05-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know the approximate value of a 1925 Monarch Cushion 9 foot billards table in good shape made by the Brunswick-Balke Collender Company? Is there a market for them & what's the best way to sell it? I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, thanks in advance to anybody who can tell me anything about it. I live in SE lower Michigan

Ken
05-07-2002, 06:08 AM
It's very difficult to estimate the value of your table without pictures or, preferably, looking it over carefully to see if it is all original and how it was cared for. Is it from a commercial room or privately owned?

If it is an ordinary economy model out of a poolroom it might sell in the range of $400 to $1,500. Add a bit if it has not gotten a lot of use.

There is a limited market for antique tables. They are heavy and difficult to move. There are many companies that restore them and then sell them to people who are willing to spend a lot for a showpiece for their game room. These companies will buy your table if it has some special value to them. They don't need ordinary looking tables that have spent a long time in a poolroom.

If your table has decoration in the form of inlays or fancy cabinet work it could be worth a bit. The problem with selling one is reaching enough people to find someone who would appreciate an antique table. There is an antique store nearby that has two tables. They are both overpriced at $4,000 and $7,000 and have been taking up a lot of space for years. The $7,000 table was "professionally" reconditioned and it is a mess. I guess the guy got tired of all the work and never finished it. If you stand 20 feet away it looks great.

You need to determine the model name of your table and find out if all the pieces have matching serial numbers. Also, does it appear that it has been recovered many times and therefore have a lot of staple holes and wood missing?
Ken in CT

MikeM
05-07-2002, 10:41 AM
Check out Ebay. They often have Balke-Collender tables listed for sale. I don't recall how much the last one went for, but know it was several thousand dollars. The tables on Ebay are usually well documented, with matching serial numbers and/or fully restored. You might want to contact on of those sellers to get some more information.

MM

05-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Most, if not all, Brunswick tables of circa 1920's had Monarch Cushions. That's not the name of the model. Suggest you find a copy of Brunswick's 1923-1924 catalog (replica copies possibly still available at larger supply houses). Or go this site, and see if you can identify your model:
http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/history/antique.html