PDA

View Full Version : Best ferrule= Ivory-X, Best leather tip=?

shoutout33
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Short and to the point people. I notice that a lot of you like the Ivory-X ferrule. Ok, cool. How about the next import playing tool...the tip. What's the best all around tip out there for action, longivity, chalk retention, etc.

I hear Tiger products SNIPER is awesome and that that Talisman is nice too. Now, I don't know that much about tips, but I do know that I like a medium hard tip. I want to learn more about those laminated tips and why people love them so much. Thanks in advance for the replies people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1a2b3c
06-29-2004, 01:01 PM
im giving the moori medium a try. Supposed to pick up my shaft in a few hours, ill let you know what i think.

catscradle
06-29-2004, 01:18 PM
I was using a sniper and actually liked it quite a bit, but in my usually failure to be satisfied I tried a Talisman soft. Now I loved the Talisman soft, BUT 2 of them first mushroom quickly then delaminated. I then went to a Moori soft, but it doesn't really feel all that soft to me. Maybe I should go back to the Sniper, though those have occasionally delamed.
I know at least 2 cuemakers who refuse to use Talisman.

BLACKHEART
06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
MAKE IT 3...JER /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

shoutout33
06-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Um...Blackheart, could you please break it down for us laymen by what you mean...please? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cueless Joey
06-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Jer doesn't like Talisman either.
We've had some mediums delaminate on us as well.
Everest and Sniper are good alternative to Moori if you don't want to spend that much.
Everest is my favorite.

CarterCues
06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Make that four against Tailsman. Moori's and Everest in the layer. Triangle in pressed.

Fred Agnir
06-29-2004, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> What's the best all around tip out there for action, longivity, chalk retention, etc.
<hr /></blockquote>

Shameless advertisement and backpatting to follow.

The upcoming September issue of InsidePool Magazine will have an article on the ins and outs of tips. Not necessarily the history, nor the author's opinions on playability, but moreso on what's out there, what they're made of, what processes they undergo, what's the differences. And also, the idea of debunking some well spread mythology on tips.

You'll need to subsribe to InsidePool, or get it at your local Barnes and Noble if someone hasn't beaten you to it.

Fred &lt;~~~ shamefully shameless

ABChad
06-29-2004, 03:18 PM
If you haven't already... try the moori III M. I put one on my schon, and it's absolutely awesome! The biggest improvement is that the new moori has two less layers. The moori II has 11 layers, and the III has only 9. This might seem worse, but there are way less delam. issues, it holds shape better over time, and they are generally more consistent. It's a nice hitting medium-hard tip with great control of touch &amp; english. Hope that helps!

cycopath
06-29-2004, 03:23 PM
The Sniper is awesome. That's what I have on my cue right now. It doesn't miscue near as much as the Moori Med I had on there before. I was constantly having to Tip Pik the Moori, but I never Pik the Sniper.

tateuts
06-29-2004, 10:48 PM
I have a shaft with the Sniper too and I like the way it holds chalk better than the Moori medium for the same reason, however, I still like the Moori hit.

Chris

crawdaddio
06-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Moori medium......best tip I've ever used.

SUPERSTAR
06-29-2004, 11:19 PM
ELKMASTER! There is no substitute!

SUPERSTAR

stickman
06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
I've never installed a Talisman soft. In fact, I don't even carry them. To date, I have never had a delamination, except for the first one I put on by myself for myself. I learned how not to install them, and everything was good from there. I like the Talisman tips, but in my quest for the perfect tip, I've decided to try an Everest. The Moori Med. didn't hold chalk well for me and was a little firmer than I expected. The new J Pechauer 60" with an Everest tip should be here in a couple more weeks. I bought a cheap, plain Jane. I decided the points and inlays wouldn't make me any better shooter, but the 60" cue and Everest tip might help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shoutout33
06-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, once again, thanks so much for the replies! Could you please give a definition to the term "delamination"? Taking an educated guess, I think it means when a laminated tip will start to (for lack of a better word...) serperate or split. Kind of like Pilsbury's flaky busciuts when you pull them apart layer by layer. (Please don't laugh, it's the only thing I could think of to compare it too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

catscradle
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Hey guys, once again, thanks so much for the replies! Could you please give a definition to the term "delamination"? Taking an educated guess, I think it means when a laminated tip will start to (for lack of a better word...) serperate or split. Kind of like Pilsbury's flaky busciuts when you pull them apart layer by layer. (Please don't laugh, it's the only thing I could think of to compare it too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) <hr /></blockquote>

That's what I mean when I say it.

MosconiJr
07-01-2004, 06:39 AM
I agree that the Sniper does not miscue nearly as much as the Moori M. I will have to try the Everest, I have heard good things about it. Aren't both made by Tiger. Just curious.

Mike

catscradle
07-01-2004, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MosconiJr:</font><hr> I agree that the Sniper does not miscue nearly as much as the Moori M. I will have to try the Everest, I have heard good things about it. Aren't both made by Tiger. Just curious.

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, me too. What is the difference between the Sniper and the Everest besides the fact that the sniper has a blue tinge to it?