PDA

View Full Version : Genetic mutation turns tot into superboy...

nAz
06-29-2004, 01:26 PM
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:35 p.m. ET June 24, 2004

4-year-old is first documented
human case, scientists say...

BOSTON - Somewhere in Germany is a baby Superman, born in Berlin with bulging arm and leg muscles. Not yet 5, he can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do. He has muscles twice the size of other kids his age and half their body fat

nAz
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
uh sorry i forgot topost theLinkto the full story... SPetty where are you?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5278028/

catscradle
06-30-2004, 04:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> uh sorry i forgot topost theLinkto the full story... SPetty where are you?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5278028/ <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmm, Germany? Superman? Could this be the fruition of some dark experiment started in 1939 by Hitler? Let's start another conspiracy theory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The article was interesting and scary in it's own way. IMO the approach they talked about of creating a drug to mimic this genetic mutation to counter the effects of MD seems wrong to me. That will only perpetuate the defective gene(s) causing MD in the humam population. The proper approach medicine should be taking is to correct the genetic material. In this manner when the people who are now dying before the can reproduce start to live to reproductive age they will no longer have the defective genetic structure to pass on. Medical science should be correcting the problem not the symptom, but historically they've been more concerned with symptoms than problems.

nAz
07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Cat i thought the same thing, i wonder what that kid will be like when he grows up, will he be ban from Olympic games?

Qtec
07-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Genetic manipulation has been going on in the US for years.

http://www.bushorchimp.com/images/pic30.jpg

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

highsea
07-01-2004, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Hmmmm, Germany? Superman? Could this be the fruition of some dark experiment started in 1939 by Hitler? Let's start another conspiracy theory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The article was interesting and scary in it's own way. IMO the approach they talked about of creating a drug to mimic this genetic mutation to counter the effects of MD seems wrong to me. That will only perpetuate the defective gene(s) causing MD in the humam population. The proper approach medicine should be taking is to correct the genetic material.<hr /></blockquote>

Lol, the ubermench!

I wouldn't hold your breath on medical science genetically engineering away disease. That opens up a Pandora's Box big time.

Creating a drug to mimic the gene could improve the quality of life for those affected by hereditary illnesses, while avoiding the whole "playing God" thing.

Just look at the controversy over embryonic stem cell research, and then ask yourself what the public reaction to gene-splicing in live embryos would be like.

-CM

Chris Cass
07-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Ahhh Ralph Soquet.

LOL,

C.C.

catscradle
07-02-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Ahhh Ralph Soquet.

LOL,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

It probably isn't fair, but whenever I see Souquet all I can think is SS officer in civies. His demeanor and appearance is the same as the stereotypical SS prison/concentration camp commandant in every Hollywood movie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif