PDA

View Full Version : Firewall Protection With A Dialup

Sid_Vicious
06-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I can not get DSL, and satellite is far too expensive, hence I am on dialup. What if any real protection can I get for myself with a dialup connection concerning firewalls? I hear that a software firewall is fairly useless, but I don't guess I can do a router, tight? What's the answer???sid

Btw, Cable is not available in the location I live in either, so please just give me dialup suggestions

Rod
06-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Sid,

I'm no whiz at this stuff but I'll bet some will work. A firewall blocks ports in and out. Here is a link, it shows Black Ice as being one but I'll bet others do. You do the home work. To bad you stuck with dial up.

Firewalls (http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Firewalls.htm)

stickman
06-29-2004, 09:10 PM
I used to use ZoneAlarm. It has a pretty good free version. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I still use it Jim but an older version. The newest one gave me problems. I don't know if it works for dial up but it might.

Rod

stickman
06-30-2004, 12:08 AM
It was a few years ago that I used it. I had dial-up with Zone Alarm, I then continued to use it with DSL, and later added a router with built-in firewall protection. I didn't need the ZA after the router. My old computer had lots of memory. My new one doesn't. I have dial-up and didn't bother with the firewall, I figure I don't have the ram to mess with it. I need to add ram, because I often have to reboot or my programs stop working. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod
06-30-2004, 01:19 AM
There is ram and then there is resources. Not the same. You need ram for intensive applications but ram will not help resources. Win XP does need a bit more ram, 256MB is what I think is minumum. XP though manages resources much better. If you have programs "leaking" then goes the resources. A handy tool for this is built right in to the system, resource meter. If it shows your low (it can be less than 10 percent) then you need to stop programs running in the background. I have as few running as possible that I don't use very much. Cut down on programs you don't use, and free up resources. HTH, but what do I know! lol

You could write a book on this stuff, and it most likely has been written. It is free on the net if you look.

Rod

highsea
06-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Sid,
As a dial up user, you don't really need a firewall. what you do need to do is run current antivirus and current MS patches, and some anti-spyware.

When a computer is a permanent part of a network, as in a DSL or cable connection, that PC is succeptible to port scans. When you dial in to your connection, you have a temporary IP address, and it is very unlikely that someone will find you and be able to place malicious code on your machine.

I don't know your OS, hopefully it isn't XP, as the patches aren't practical on dial-up connections. If it is, PM me and I will send you a CD.

What you do need to do is protect yourself from email viruses and web trojans. There are some freeware/shareware programs that will do most of this, but to really do it right you should spend for a couple of programs that will do real time scanning and interception.

The home firewalls don't do this. They only scan ports, and if the user doesn't know which ports to block, they are useless. They default to pretty much wide open. Business class firewalls are different. They default to blocking, and the administrator has to open the needed ports.

You can mix and match, but basically you need Norton Anti-virus, Spyguard Search and Destroy, and/or Ad-Aware. Keep these apps current, as well as your MS security patches, and that should keep you pretty well covered.

75% of the malicious code that arrives on your PC will be in email. Antivirus will catch that if you keep it current. eg. update every 2 weeks. The other 25% will be from websites. Ad-Aware and Spyguard will catch 90% of that, if they are kept kept current (30 day updates).

No one is going to waste their time hacking your dial-up connection. There are way too many easier targets.

-CM

stickman
06-30-2004, 05:18 AM
My old computer had 128 ram originally. It was using ME. I uped it to 512. Everything worked great, and never a problem. My new one has 512 but uses XP. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was sure that XP used more ram. Otherwise, I figured the performance would be similar. I learned to shut down the programs I don't use regularly on my old computer and do it to the new one too. I just know enough about computers to be dangerous. What I know is, my new one or the XP, whichever it is, sucks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Since you seem to know more about this stuff than I do, I have a couple of questions. I have Norton (up to date) on my home pc, and still am having spyware/adware problems. Any suggestions? Also, am I going to have to pay the $40 for a program to get rid of it, or is there something out there that is available for free? Shouldn't Norton have stopped the infection?
Steve~~knows even less about computers than he does about pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

highsea
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Steve,
Here are 2 anti-spyware programs. You don't need them both, so pick one. They are both freeware, you don't need to buy anything. Norton won't block spyware/adware. Be sure to go online and search for updates to the program before you run it.

After you run one of these, be sure to go the the microsoft update page and install the critical patches. The worst of the malware out there exploits the MS Java VM, so the MS critical updates are absolutely necessary.

-CM

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

http://ct7support.com/downloads/spybot/1.3/spybotsd13.exe

Rod
06-30-2004, 12:07 PM
It should'nt have anything to do with ram then. That is plenty for most things. I'd look towards the mother board and processor and how it handles resources. I'm getting an XP system today by FedEx. My old ME, this one has 512. The new one has 512 also. Next week I get a new Samsung 191T+ flat panel. I bit the bullet because I need it for business and my desk is out of room. Of course it will be fun too. lol

Rod

Rod
06-30-2004, 12:10 PM
That's a good educataional post. tap tap