PDA

View Full Version : Playing the Ghost

JDB
06-29-2004, 08:53 PM
How many people actually play the ghost for practice? How many times do you beat the ghost on average?

I am just curious. I have only beaten the ghost once myself but I don't practice against it often. I had been playing lousy for the last month or so and I started practicing and felt pretty good so I played the ghost tonight. Lost 11 - 7, but really felt like I played well anyway. So I was just curious if anyone else practiced against the ghost and how well other people did against it.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
I like to practice drills to get into stroke. I have a practice routine that I can't get thru unless I get into stroke.

The routine takes about 30 solid minutes and has 4 specific shots that include left and right english.

Once I complete the warmup, I play the ghost. On average, in 10 games, I can usually win at least 2 on a good day and up to 4 on a great day.

I have seen some great players play the ghost as a practice routine and usualy win more than 50% of the time. But, there are some pretty good players in the pool room where I hang out.

JDB
06-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Yep, Hard Times, I have heard there were a few good players there...lol.

Maybe my game is actually coming back to me after a few terrible months. I just played another quick race to 5 and this time won 5 - 0. Shorter race, but still felt pretty good to finally be in stroke.

tateuts
06-29-2004, 09:58 PM
It's good offensive practice and good ring game practice. In 9 ball, if I'm breaking well on normal tables, the ghost has no case. On very tight tables it's a war.

Chris

Jimmy B
06-30-2004, 02:48 AM
I suck so I can't beat the ghost, unless of course he spots me, I like to take the break and then BIH, that gives me a shot to beat him. But I think playing the ghost is bad for my game, it changes my style of play kinda like putting the 1 million dollar bounty did in the Earl 13 pack. By that what I mean is I am a big safety player (hell I'm a big anything) and I like to practice that aspect of my game as well when I am practicing. SO I don't like to change to total offense because it takes out a major portion of *MY* game.

JB

Rod
06-30-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SO I don't like to change to total offense because it takes out a major portion of *MY* game.
<hr /></blockquote>

Or add to it.

JDB
06-30-2004, 06:49 AM
I have heard of ways of working safety play into playing the ghost that seem reasonable and makes it maybe even better practice than being all offense.

The most common way I have seen it done is if you play a safety and completely hide the object ball, you get ball in hand, again, and start your run over. This incorporates both offense and defensive play into playing the ghost.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi Jimbo,

I don't think playing the ghost is bad for your game at all. The safety play is definitely an asset to everyones game but I think you should play the ghost. Many times you'll find yourself in the position to have to run. That's when the ghost can be an asset. Knowing your comfortable with doing what must be done.

Mark Wilson hardly ever plays defence not that he couldn't just as well but it's a nice feeling that the safety is there when you need it though. At the end of the day and your getting close to leaving the hall, you should take on the ghost. It's all about the break anyway. If your break is strong then the ghost has a good chance of losing. Unless you feel that losing to the ghost would have a neg impact on your mental game? Then, I might not concider it. I just think it's not a bad thing. Heck, with some of the spots I've given up, I might have well just have played the dang ghost. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.

NH_Steve
06-30-2004, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JDB:</font><hr> I have heard of ways of working safety play into playing the ghost that seem reasonable and makes it maybe even better practice than being all offense.

The most common way I have seen it done is if you play a safety and completely hide the object ball, you get ball in hand, again, and start your run over. This incorporates both offense and defensive play into playing the ghost. <hr /></blockquote>Or give yourself a 'push' (that is, a draw or rerack) if you can play a safety that completely hides the ball -- of course you lose if you fail to get the full snooker!

If you're too weak to have a chance at a full rack of 9-ball, spot yourself whatever number is appropriate by dropping them in the pocket, starting with the one ball. Hell if you have to start just 7-8-9 it still is a very very good practice IMO...

(and you can do it for One Pocket, too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif just have to make whatever number of balls you decide, all in one pocket!!!)

Rod
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(and you can do it for One Pocket, too just have to make whatever number of balls you decide, all in one pocket!!!)
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't have the book handy but in winning one pocket I think the best wouldn't bet over 5.

Jimmy B
06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Jimbo,

I don't think playing the ghost is bad for your game at all. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe bad was a BAD word LOL. Of course I don't mean to say that anything you do that helps at least one aspect of your game is a bad thing. But a major part of my A game is not taking risks, IMO I'd rather get beat then lose the game. I sometimes feel it's bad for my game because there are times when I need to pull out that "SHOT" for a win, but for the most part I need to practice the safes as well as the shots. Also by taking the more offensive approach I feel I might fool myself into finding out I shoot better then I think and then try dumb shots when it counts, just because I did it and it worked against the Ghost. I have always been a fan of the “practice the way you play” approach. I like the idea of the twist in the game, I don't Break and run out often, but if I do play a safe and then miss the hit (playing as the ghost) I will take the BIH and continue my run. As far as your line about the spots you give up. I also give some large spots (bigger then I should) but often times I will get the guy on 3 about 40% of the set. Again with thinking that I'd rather lose then run 1-6 dog the 7 and lose a game with the guy making just 1 ball. Also a spot I like to give some bad players is.
I give them the 6-out but they have to make at least 2 balls in a row to win, so if I scratch on the 5 they need to make the 6 and 7 to win. It also takes away the BIH combo. I can't stand losing games to people who only make 1 ball.

JB

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Right on the money. I judge most of my play by odds. You don't have to run out every rack. I feel you do have to be in control though. I can't stand losing to anyone but I'd rather be beat by a run out than just because the dude got the rainbow. Some guys need it and sometimes I just like to have enough pressure my bald spot sweats.

Regards,

C.C.~~plays the ghost very seldom. gonna look up Jonny K for some real pressure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mike_in_iowa
06-30-2004, 04:26 PM
One thing is for sure. playing the ghost is a heck of a lot easier than some of the champions you got in your neck of the woods. I would say that the quad cities does a high proportion of pro caliber players. (jamie, jessie, jon,chad,tommy, josh (I'm leaving somebody out?))

mike

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 04:38 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just you Mike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I hear your going up, up and up. I will say this, I sure am pulling for you my friend. Keep going the way you are and you'll have to move down or up here too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif My regards to the Mrs. and a big hug for the weeee ones.

Regards,

C.C.~~surrounded by champions and they're all broke. HAHAHAHA

mike_in_iowa
06-30-2004, 06:21 PM
I really liked the last part. Isn't that the truth. That could be a whole new thread.
Heard you played with Scott Lee on Sunday. He was over to give Jen a lesson on Monday afternoon and then came back over to grill out and hit some balls. As always it was fun.
He did stop the policy that, if we say good things about him on the CCB, the lesson is free though. Did that make sense? Just kidding anyway. God I miss FL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sounds like you are hitting them great. I'm jeolous of you going to the Open.

My game is coming along good. Hitting one of those good cycles. Been practicing less and hitting them better.

Good luck to you at the open.

Mike /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> I really liked the last part. Isn't that the truth. That could be a whole new thread.
Heard you played with Scott Lee on Sunday. He was over to give Jen a lesson on Monday afternoon and then came back over to grill out and hit some balls. As always it was fun.
He did stop the policy that, if we say good things about him on the CCB, the lesson is free though. Did that make sense? Just kidding anyway. God I miss FL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sounds like you are hitting them great. I'm jeolous of you going to the Open.

My game is coming along good. Hitting one of those good cycles. Been practicing less and hitting them better.

Good luck to you at the open.

Mike /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeh Mike,

That Scott sucks. I got the guy 6-2 on a race to 7 and he beats me. LOL I told him not to come back without his cue.LOL I've sence drilled and tonight I shot lights out on the 9 ft. Been playing on the bar boxes for the last 3 mths but how I let him out the trick bag? I don't know. I shot a total of 471 balls since then on that 9 ft. Send him back over here Mike. LOL He was hitting them great. You know he was talking smack the whole time. He sharked me. hahahaha

Oh yeh, free lessons for saying something nice about him. LOL Well, I won't get any because I never say anything nice about him. hahahaha I might get a few from Rod though? LMAO

About the Open, don't be jealous. I know your not but it's tough because everyones waiting to see you do good and some fail. Like it's hard enough for the pros to not go two and out with all that talent. I just want to play Efren first and then Busty. heck, through in Parica too.

Regards,

C.C.~~practicing hard..........