PDA

View Full Version : Swiping the Tip Habit

tateuts
06-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't know the exact term, but you see a lot of good players who chalk up, then swipe the shaft with their fingers away from the tip. Shannon Daulton does it. I think Archer does it. Mark Tadd used to do it religiously and I think Mike Sigel did too. I always knew they were wiping the excess chalk off the ferrule but couldn't figure out why.

So I'm lining up a tough soft roll shot and my eye is distracted by a ragged edge on my tip. I think about it for a fleeting second and miss the shot. Then it occurs to me why these players swipe that tip. It's a distraction to see that ragged edge of chalk.

Who here swipes, and what is the real name for it?

Chris

Chris Cass
06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
I do it too. I hate the sight picture as it looks when the tip doesn't look round. It's like a major distraction for me. Sometimes I never see it but I think that's because I do it out of habit. I call it burnishing.lol I also do a lot of that too. I do that on the top of the rails. It doesn't harm the formica or what ever that stuff is.

Regards,

C.C.

larrynj1
06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
i'd say it is more like wiping than swiping.

me, i blow the excess chalk off.

DialUp
06-29-2004, 10:14 PM
I like to keep my fingers as clean as possible so I never do it. It drives me cazy to have chalk on my shooting hand /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have been watching the ring game on the Empire Network over the last 4 weeks (I think next week is the final part) and I noticed 2 or 3 of those gusy doing it too. I think Charley Williams does it all the time...

Rod
06-29-2004, 10:23 PM
I've done it for years, but I didn't always many years ago. I'm thinking that my concentration was so high it didn't matter. Now a fuzzy edge with chalk bothers me and a quick swipe is just part of the routine. Hey chris, I burnish the tip or touch up the sides as a quickie to. I do it with a little spit on the side of the tip sometimes. Except I use the cloth on top of the rail. It even helps clean up the ferrule in case it has a chalk mark. I'm careful about chalking but these ferrules just attract chalk.

~~Rod, magnetic chalk ferrule, lol

stickman
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
I've never done it, but if you and Chris do it, I might give it a try. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-30-2004, 12:24 AM
It's just a habit that started after I noticed chalk on the edge of my tip. I chalk by slowly rotating the cue held at an angle and swipe with my bridge hand. I chalk closer to the edge, miscues don't happen towards the center. lol Like I said I think I use to concentrate so hard that it was not a problem.

I'm not sure it's the in thing to do, Archer after all finds lint, hairs and who knows what else before he shoots. He was never that way years ago and I think we just need to shoot. If that small distraction throws us off, I'm thinking we're or I am not as confident as I once was. Up for debate I suppose but there are other factors involved.

Now the kicker is I can't see the ferrule or tip all that well. So why do you suppose I still do it? I'd say habit most of the time.

~~rod, but if you can still see /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PQQLK9
06-30-2004, 06:47 AM
I do.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Rod,

You are so right. I can't see the tip and just see white on the ferrule. If I do see the extra chalk hanging over the edge it's when I;m down on the ball. I can't really tell if or what the tip looks like even when I'm holding it close. I need the readers to tell if anything is messed up.

When I do want to check the tip it's the wiping or swiping along the tip with my bridge index finger. It's then when I can tell by feel if my tip is mushroomed. I try to make a point of leaving the house with my tips looking good with the specs on and whatever play I have is when I do that next. Bottom line, I think I've got this down in my pre-shot routine. I won't let on what that is because I seem to add things to it sometimes. LOL

Swipe and wipe it off the ferrule and yes, wipe that crap on my pants. LOL I used to carry a rag in my back pocket. Then, wipe my butt down almost every other rack. LOL Wipe my butt. hahahaha Anyway, everyone started doing it at the pool hall. Funny, like that'll pull up their game. LOL Then, I quit and they're stuck with my old habit. hahahaha I'm such an idiot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif They haven't got the swipe and burnish thing yet but, I think Spike did it the other day.

Man, Rod, you should see that kid shoot. Not only is his stroke straight. His mind is so sharp. He knows all the moves, all the hustle bets and always any action that's going down in the ph. Thank God, I taught him the right from wrong. He also knows a set-up and a bad bet. He's going to grow up a stand-up guy. You'd love this kid.

He wants to go the the Open with me but he knows he can't. He's bummed but school comes first. He wants to hang with JimmyB and Fred he told me. I asked him about Wendy and he said, aww she's mushy. hahahayha She just adores him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What were we talking about? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~2 yrs later and still 2 people left doing it out of like 5. hahahahahahaha

ABChad
06-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Wiping off the extra chalk is one thing... if it distracts you, but don't blow off the chalk!!! This gets rid of all the chalk you just meticulously rubbed on your tip!

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 08:28 AM
HAHAHAHA Is that really possible? Well, maybe with the green stuff. LOL I think it was in jest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

SpiderMan
06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
I do it, but I never thought about it until I saw your post. I didn't realize that a lot of other people were doing it also! I think it's just a part of my chalking ritual, maybe a neatness thing.

Most of my chalking is done on the outer half of the crown - that's where you need the bite, and also I think this abrasion helps to keep my tip rounded as I like it. I rotate the cue as I brush on the chalk, and sometimes the sharp edge where the crown meets the sidewalls will pick up a glob that shows on the side. Sometimes the chalk dust may also accumulate on the sides of the ferrule. So, I "swipe" away from me to clean it up. Actually, it's more like just wrapping my bridge hand around the shaft and pulling it through once.

I don't think I do it every time I chalk, but as I said I don't really think about it, so who knows? For similar reasons, I don't have a name for the action/habit.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-30-2004, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Rod,

You are so right. I can't see the tip and just see white on the ferrule. If I do see the extra chalk hanging over the edge it's when I;m down on the ball. I can't really tell if or what the tip looks like even when I'm holding it close. I need the readers to tell if anything is messed up.

&lt;So do I Chris, readers is the only way. I wear contacts for pool but real close up isn't much better.&gt;

When I do want to check the tip it's the wiping or swiping along the tip with my bridge index finger. It's then when I can tell by feel if my tip is mushroomed. I try to make a point of leaving the house with my tips looking good with the specs on and whatever play I have is when I do that next. Bottom line, I think I've got this down in my pre-shot routine. I won't let on what that is because I seem to add things to it sometimes. LOL

&lt;Pool by braille, lol I do my checking at home to.&gt;

Swipe and wipe it off the ferrule and yes, wipe that crap on my pants. LOL I used to carry a rag in my back pocket. Then, wipe my butt down almost every other rack. LOL Wipe my butt. hahahaha Anyway, everyone started doing it at the pool hall. Funny, like that'll pull up their game. LOL Then, I quit and they're stuck with my old habit. hahahaha I'm such an idiot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif They haven't got the swipe and burnish thing yet but, I think Spike did it the other day.

&lt; Here I noticed a guy the other day do it. Like you said though the burnish part isn't coppied. If anything that should be. ha ha &gt;

Man, Rod, you should see that kid shoot. Not only is his stroke straight. His mind is so sharp. He knows all the moves, all the hustle bets and always any action that's going down in the ph. Thank God, I taught him the right from wrong. He also knows a set-up and a bad bet. He's going to grow up a stand-up guy. You'd love this kid.

&lt; Sounds like a little champ in the making. I'd like to watch him play some day, hey you too! Thre is a guy here, Lil Pete, His dad is Pete. Pete I'll bet was the same size as Spike but a little older. Cocky kid but respectful and a darn good player. I showed him why he had some problems. In ten minutes he was doing exactly what I said. An hour later back to the same old stuff though. The next tourney he had made changes, it was noticable and I gave him my seal of approval. He fires balls in from everywhere and has a head and uses it, so it's not all wham bam. I saw him the other day, took the car in for a tire rotation. Here he is working at the place. It's been a while but this kid shot up like a bean stalk. LOL Man he is taller than me, amazing. We had a short chat, it was good to see him.

He is the guy I spotted 1 side of a snooker table playing golf, I get the first shot. I banked in the first hole with perfect shape. I said you may not get to shoot. lol I run 5 holes but was so straight in on the 5th that I had to take a bank. I missed but he was so shook it was short lived.&gt;

He wants to go the the Open with me but he knows he can't. He's bummed but school comes first. He wants to hang with JimmyB and Fred he told me. I asked him about Wendy and he said, aww she's mushy. hahahayha She just adores him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What were we talking about? LOL

&lt; Ya he wants to hang with the guys, the women are just to mushy. Something he'll learn to like. lol &gt;

Regards,

C.C.~~2 yrs later and still 2 people left doing it out of like 5. hahahahahahaha

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
06-30-2004, 11:27 AM
I think we should just call it swipe the tip, sounds good to me. After many years I never put a name to it. lol