PDA

View Full Version : it finally clicked again!

sack316
06-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Wow, well it's hard to beleive that just a week ago I was on here complaining about how off i was. Well, Monday night I started feeling a little better and got two rackless games in two leagues that night. Then tonight I went to 9 ball league and was just not feeling it. I promised a friend (who is unfortunately a very strong 2) that I would play her. So I'm ready to take my beating like a man, and out of nowhere there is the stroke. I could do no wrong. I literally never "missed" a shot, I missed strategically to leave her tough and try to get me an out, but I never hit a ball bad all night. Held her to only 3 balls all night for my first ever 20-0 win, and I can't tell you how good it felt. And she's been bragging for the last few months because she took me down 13-7 last time, so now I get to gloat (at least until the next time). But she did manage to guilt me into buying her a drink, so as usual the woman did still win in the end. But anyway, I'm happy and just had to let all my friends on here know! have a good night/day!

stickman
06-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Great! I had the same thing happen a while back. (playing a strong two, held them to only 3 balls, 20-0) They moved my skill level up the following week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-30-2004, 12:40 AM
I had something click, but i'm trying to think what it was.

Bam Bam er, now I remember

Hey, don't think about it unless it's good. Even then it's in a passing mode. Dwelling on that stuff may not help your game even if it was good. Just put it in the good memory bank for a recall knowing (or a good guess) what you did right. When you loose, mental note the reasons. Like I said, then just let it go. Win or loose it passes me so fast it's only a quick note.

It's like the federal reserve, going in is easy but taking it out is hard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad you had a good night.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2004, 06:32 AM
It's really weird how that happens. I'm usually pretty consistent (consistently mediocre) but last Monday I shot as bad as I had shot for at least 6 months. I lost 5-1 in 8-ball to a weak 6 who was not shooting all that great himself. I probably missed 10 very makeable shots.

Then Saturday I could not miss. I won about 10 games in a row on the practice table and then won my match 4-1 and only missed one makeable ball.

I had a good 1-hour practice session Friday but that should not be enough to make that much of a difference. Stuff just happens that way. If you get in a slump you just have to shoot your way out of it I suppose.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> It's really weird how that happens. I'm usually pretty consistent (consistently mediocre) but last Monday I shot as bad as I had shot for at least 6 months. I lost 5-1 in 8-ball to a weak 6 who was not shooting all that great himself. I probably missed 10 very makeable shots.

Then Saturday I could not miss. I won about 10 games in a row on the practice table and then won my match 4-1 and only missed one makeable ball.

I had a good 1-hour practice session Friday but that should not be enough to make that much of a difference. Stuff just happens that way. If you get in a slump you just have to shoot your way out of it I suppose. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Wally,

You hit the nail on the head. Consistancy is the name of the game. That's why you have to just right the bad nite off and store it, like Rod mentioned. What I feel went on with Sack is, he had no pressure. In his mind the 2 was strong and he knew he was suppose to lose, in his mind. Therefore, no pressure.

It also looks like your 1 hr practice session was a good one. Even, if you get only 1 hr of practice in with 100% of your attention and focus it's better than 8 hrs of just unfocused attention. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~some nights you just don't have it. some nights are better curling up on the couch and watching a good movie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Leviathan
06-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi, Rod--great post.--AS

sack316
06-30-2004, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> In his mind the 2 was strong and he knew he was suppose to lose, in his mind. Therefore, no pressure.
<hr /></blockquote>

I think you are very right there Chris, at least at first I felt no pressure because she is a good friend, my team was WAY down, and I wasn't really thinking of anything but getting the match done so we could go home sooner. But once I jumped up big I did start putting some pressure on myself because I saw on the scoresheet if I did win 20-0 then all my fifth player would have to do is win 12-8 for our team to comeback. But I guess maybe by that time I felt so comfortable at the table the pressure didn't really make much of a difference. If I could just figure out a way to have that feeling every time it would be great. But then again if we could all do that then I guess we'd all be pros.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi Sack,

You also need to give yourself some credit for making the balls too. With or without pressure you still have to pocket them bad boys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some guys just can't play with women either. I don't have a problem myself with it but some do.

Regards,

C.C.~~being pro just means staying broke.