PDA

View Full Version : Choking against a name player

Leviathan
06-30-2004, 08:02 AM
One of the names was in town last night and played in our weekly 9-Ball tournament. I watched him play three race-to-3 matches against our best local players. Each of these matches went hill-hill, and the local guys lost all three matches by dogging a routine shot. I've been trying to guess whether the locals were distracted by fear of losing or by anticipation of winning.

Man, it was fun watching this guy work from up close, where you could see all the details of his game! Good learning experience.

AS

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Hi Alan,

Dwaine Bowman told me once and I find it's true. The name player can count on given one shot because of his rep.

Regards,

C.C.

bill190
06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
I used to think I had no chance of winning when playing one of these guys. So I guess I didn't really try. But then one day I came within one ball of winning while playing a hot shot. I realized that I could win. I now know I can beat these guys sometimes - rarely - but I can do it sometimes. Sometimes it's just luck or the lay of the balls. Sometimes I safety or strategy my way to a win. Whatever. It can happen easier than many players think.

tateuts
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
If you get a rep you're a lot harder to beat. I've dogged plenty against name brand players myself. It's a matter of feeling self concious. Usually, you can gather yourself but short races amplify these problems.

I heard that in a handicapped tournament a guy was mistakenly rated by the tournament director at the top category - pro speed way out of his league. He had to spot games on the wire left and right. He ended up nearly winning the tournament and then commented how he thought the huge spot intimidated his opponents.

Chris

Popcorn
06-30-2004, 11:00 AM
It makes you a better player to know you can beat a top player now and then with a little going your way. Makes the guy you play at the pool room on a regular basis not seem like so much, when you just went hill-hill with Archer the past week end in a Joss tour tournament. I have seen players win a tournament and from that point on, be a better player then they ever were. Something changes, from the way they perceive themselves, as well as the way they are perceived by others. Nothing breeds success like success, that is why you have to compete, how else are you to know what a good player really you are.

Popcorn
06-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Top players take advantage of this. They try to turn it in to their show, talking to the audience, seeming relaxed and act like your are just a supporting player. It is very easy to fall into their trap and just go along with it, as if you are afraid of offending your idol by getting in their way. I can respect who they are and what they have accomplished, but that does not mean today may not be my day to win.

Rod
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
It usually is true the first time around. It may not hold water the second time, then again it might. Depends on the player and where his head is at.

tateuts
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
When I play a well known player, sometimes I try to do too much, like sink that full table hair thin cut and spin the cueball 4 rails for shape. That's a bad strategy!

I beat a well known player in a tournament a few months ago by going conservative and ducking when I was supposed to and shooting when I was supposed to. I just kept on his tail until my opportunity came and won.

Chris

piglit
06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
So true!

I played Parica a race to 7, lost 7-4 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I missed the first shot after the breac by like 5 inches...and it was only 4 inches from the pocket!!

The only saving grace was: Jose left the last 3 on the table, I won, Broke & ran out, Broke & ran out. don't know why I feel good about that, as I only showed that I could/ should have played better, if not for the AKC papers.

A good friend of mine said something after my loss to Jose that comes to mind, as a result of this thread,"He's won a lot of games because he's Jose Parica".

Better luck next time!!

-pigy

Popcorn
06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Your right and they don't like it. Those champs hate having the local yocal lose their fear of them and put heat on. They are used to unknowns falling dead. They just have a way of making the local player feel like he can't win and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. You see it in every small tournament, good players playing like crap for no apparent reason like some kind of spell has been put on them.

bluewolf
07-01-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> One of the names was in town last night and played in our weekly 9-Ball tournament. I watched him play three race-to-3 matches against our best local players. Each of these matches went hill-hill, and the local guys lost all three matches by dogging a routine shot. I've been trying to guess whether the locals were distracted by fear of losing or by anticipation of winning.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

Have not played name players but this relates in a general way. Once I was put up against a person who was rated 4 speeds above me. This guy was playing horrible that night and still beat me. I dogged shots I nearly always make and so forth. I had never played someone rated so much higher than I so I had a mental meltdown. Have had to do a real attitude adjustment on that one.

A weak player can have an extremely good night while the good player is having an extremely bad night. Just about anything is possible.

Laura