PDA

View Full Version : dreaming of falling

landshark77
06-30-2004, 08:11 AM
I am sure this is the most ridiculous question ever posted here, but I am willing to ask anyway.
I was in a conversation last night about dreaming and falling in your dreams. Neither I nor anyone who I have discussed this with has actually landed in their dream. For those of you who have dreamed of falling, do you wake up before you land or have you actually landed in your dream? The legend is that if you land in your dream you die. I am wondering if this is why I have never talked to someone who has landed in their dream.

Thanx for any input.

PQQLK9
06-30-2004, 08:17 AM
I always wake up .I have not had that dream in years...thank goodness! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2004, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> ...The legend is that if you land in your dream you die....<hr /></blockquote>

old wive's tale IMO

I don't really dream about falling. I dream about being in high places. In one I was at a kid's picnic on the rooftop of a tall building with no railing. I had to keep running and grabbing the kids when they got near the edge. Like Catcher in the Rye, though I've never read the book. I thought "Whose idea was this?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

catscradle
06-30-2004, 08:58 AM
The only time I dreamt of falling I was falling. I was a high school kid working 12-15 hour days driving a delivery truck (my father's of course who else would work a kid that hard) over the summer. I dreamt I was trapped in the back of the truck, finally found a window and climbed out of it. I had been walking in my sleep and climbed out an upstairs bathroom window.
The next morning my father said to me "I think you've been working too hard!"
BTW, I landed, hard!

Cueless Joey
06-30-2004, 09:23 AM
When I dream of falling, it means I went to bed with a full stomach.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I always wake up.

landshark77
06-30-2004, 09:28 AM
So catscradle, you actually landed in your dream?

Please keep sharing!

catscradle
06-30-2004, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> So catscradle, you actually landed in your dream?

Please keep sharing! <hr /></blockquote>

No, actually I awoke mid-air confused as all get out, then wham!
I guess if I didn't wake up I would have broken my neck according to the if you don't wake up you die theory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landshark77
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
No, actually I awoke mid-air confused as all get out, then wham!
I guess if I didn't wake up I would have broken my neck according to the if you don't wake up you die theory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
That's they way mine are. I wake up mid-air.

So far this theory seems to be proving itself right.

Leviathan
06-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I've dreamed more than once that I'm fighting with my brother on the edge of a cliff, that he throws me off of the cliff, and that I fall down and down, thousands of feet, into the middle of a residential street in Fullerton, California. The impact kills me instantly: splat, what a mess! My disembodied mind looks at my remains from a position a couple of yards from the point of impact. There isn't any fear or pain at any time. In fact, the whole experience is kind of cool. I haven't had this dream in many years--not since I learned to like my brother.

AS

landshark77
06-30-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I've dreamed more than once that I'm fighting with my brother on the edge of a cliff, that he throws me off of the cliff, and that I fall down and down, thousands of feet, into the middle of a residential street in Fullerton, California. The impact kills me instantly: splat, what a mess! My disembodied mind looks at my remains from a position a couple of yards from the point of impact. There isn't any fear or pain at any time. In fact, the whole experience is kind of cool. I haven't had this dream in many years--not since I learned to like my brother.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

well I am very glad that you now like your brother, seems like it was dangerous for you all not to get along /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You may have just proved this theory wrong, provided that you can prove you are alive.

For those who are interested, my falling dreams are nothing like that. There is no plot (that I can remember). I am just falling, not sure from where. Then in the middle of the fall I wake up. But as I wake up I swear I hit the bed full force. Hasn't happened in months.

SpiderMan
06-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Whenever I dreamed about falling, I actually was falling, and the dream awakened me just in time (or, sometimes, just a little too late /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) to stop myself from sliding off the side of the bed.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-30-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those who are interested, my falling dreams are nothing like that. There is no plot (that I can remember). I am just falling, not sure from where. Then in the middle of the fall I wake up. But as I wake up I swear I hit the bed full force. Hasn't happened in months.

<hr /></blockquote>

I have done similar but in my dreams but I hold out a peice of paper and I float. It saves me from ever hitting the ground. Hasn't happened for a long time.

About a year ago I dreamed there was a snake beside me in a truck. The snake bit me with long fangs. Hey I did wake up. A book about dreams said a snake bite is good. lol

To add one more I have dreamed of being in an airplane with no roof. It rarely last long because the plane banks to make a turn. I'm afraid of heights now so I imagine that's what starts the thing.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I hate the one where you're running but it's like you can't really get anywhere like you're in quicksand or paralyzed or something.

Rod
06-30-2004, 03:14 PM
ya kind of like those B movies. they just stand there with the motions going on. oh the horror /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-30-2004, 03:20 PM
I was always under the impression, and this might be an old wives tale(no offense to women), that if you fall in your dream you will die.

DG - always would wake up before I hit bottom

landshark77
06-30-2004, 03:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I hate the one where you're running but it's like you can't really get anywhere like you're in quicksand or paralyzed or something. <hr /></blockquote>

Never had this type of dream. I always have ones where I am searching for someone/something or I need to call someone to find them and I can't remember how to work the phone. I seriously think that is going to happen to me one day, I'm gonna forget how to use the phone. Ha!