PDA

View Full Version : Which pro player use custom made cues...

shoutout33
06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Always been curious about this (not to mention I'm kinda' bored right now too...). I know that Ginky use to play with a Paul Mottey and Mika uses a Capone cue, but what about other custom cue makers. Can be men or women people, doesn't matter to me, just would like to know. Now remember, I said CUSTOM cues, NOT PRODUCTION! (i.e. Joss, McDermott, Lucasi, etc.)

Rod
06-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Since your bored, why not do the research? lol

trailboss
06-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I was going to ask the same big Q, but you beat me to it! I have noticed all the top players seem to use a kinda plain cue with very few if any " eye candy " I think that all this eye candy really ups the price and does not affect play-ability. They seem to all prefer a kind of plain Jain with maybe some inlays but not much. I noticed this on ESPN and they dont play with diamond, pearl etc... extensive " eye candy " type of inlays. I know they can afford them if they really wanted em.

Fred Agnir
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Always been curious about this (not to mention I'm kinda' bored right now too...). I know that Ginky use to play with a Paul Mottey and Mika uses a Capone cue, but what about other custom cue makers. Can be men or women people, doesn't matter to me, just would like to know. Now remember, I said CUSTOM cues, NOT PRODUCTION! (i.e. Joss, McDermott, Lucasi, etc.) <hr /></blockquote>I remember when Nick Varner was using a Joss cue. It was the top of their line, but modified with Nick's specifications (length, taper, etc.). A $2500+ custom cue, made by Joss.

Mike Sigel was also shooting with a custom Joss at the same time.

Joss Ltd makes about 40-50 custom cues a year. FYI.

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
06-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Kim Davenport used to use a Szamboti.

DG

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Not mine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Jose Parica is shooting with a S.W. Well, the last Open anyway. He does go over by Barry for work though. Well, he did the last time he was in Pa. Larry Nevel uses a Nova. Well, he did awhile back anyway. I think Nova cues made him a special one.

Talked with Voodoo' friend Pete and he gave some pro a break jump I believe. Could have been a regular playing cue but Pete' cues aren't regular though. Just ask Tom or Kato. I think he gave him that Grey Ghost cue. Yep, it was the ghost. Pete is really friendly and I think he's way to young to be putting out a product like that. Then again look at Capone. Man, I'm getting old and these guys are going nothing but up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't think of anymore now,

C.C.

Cueless Joey
06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Kim even has the matching jumper for that cue.
I checked that cue. Skinny shaft but it appears to be an old-growth. It looks yellowish.
Kim said he paid $275 for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 05:07 PM
hi ya Joey,

I bet it was way back when and it's probably one of Gus'. The Szamboti' are a special family. They've done things for people that only God can understand why. They have nothing but love for the sport, the players and the art of making cues. Yes, a special breed. He might have also bought it from his Dad too? Why didn't you ask him?

Regards,

C.C.

PoOn
06-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Francisco Bustamante uses a Mark Bear cue...

Cueless Joey
06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Bustmante uses Bear cues. Made by Falcon for the European market.
A friend of mine bought and resold some of his cues.

Frank_Glenn
06-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Reyes is using a Judd

datplayer
06-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I asked a simular question a few months ago.

http://worldpoolchampionship.com/players.asp

It's not completely comprehensive and most of the players are European and Asian. Neat info tho.

Barbara
06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
Can't think of anymore now,

C.C.
<hr /></blockquote>

How about Art Cantando? Barry threw him a few bones and Art's works show it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~never shakes hands with Art because he will crush it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What a Paison he is!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> I asked a simular question a few months ago.

It's not completely comprehensive and most of the players are European and Asian. Neat info tho. <hr /></blockquote> Also could be a bit of guess work. They show Efren Reyes as using a "Philippine-made cue" even though the picture is him with a Judd cue.

Fred

Cueless Joey
06-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks Chris.
I hope Uncle Barry knows he has a nephew in California. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I never did meet grampa Gus. I heard grampa made ok cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I bet God bugs him everyday for a cue.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I went to go see his work but Table Majic said they didn't have any???? Yes, Art has a strong handshake. I sure got a kick out of Barry and Sam teasing Art. Both wore my hats I made for Barry when Art came in. Art looked at them and went off. hahahaha

Those guys,

C.C.~~thanks Barbara, VF was the nuts and BTW, thanks for everything. You and Pete are the best.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> I asked a simular question a few months ago.

It's not completely comprehensive and most of the players are European and Asian. Neat info tho. <hr /></blockquote> Also could be a bit of guess work. They show Efren Reyes as using a "Philippine-made cue" even though the picture is him with a Judd cue.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHHA I saw the simular picture of Jimmy Wetch with a cue they said he had. I know it was his Cog with the 314 shaft on it. Guess they think we don't have a clue. Little do they know huh?

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Thanks Chris.
I hope Uncle Barry knows he has a nephew in California. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I never did meet grampa Gus. I heard grampa made ok cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I bet God bugs him everyday for a cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Your $hitting me right Joey? Gus isn't your Grandpa, is he? Heck, Barry' only about 29 maybe? I think Art Cantando is his nephew? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~hummmm

Cueless Joey
06-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Gus is my grampa.
Marco Polo was grampa Gus's grampa.
Marco knocked my great great gramma in China.
So, Barry is my uncle.
One of my favorite Efren stories is eons ago Efren and Rolando had dinner with Gus. Gus offered him a cue.
Efren declined b/c of his superstition. He had to play with his $11 cue.
One can only wonder how much that cue be worth now had Efren won US Open, World 8 and World 9-ball with that cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
A friend of mine will be receiving his Barry cue this year btw. Lucky bastard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tommy_Davidson
06-30-2004, 11:54 PM
&gt; Both Shawn Putnam and Tony Watson play with high-end cues by Keith Josey,along with about 15 of the Japanese pros. Chao used to play with a Ginacue that had a butt-load of ivory,Jennifer Chen has a Cog that's worth like 35K,Rodney Morris was using both a Barry Szamboti and McDaniel at one time,Nick Varner and several others also have customized McDaniels. Buddy Hall has been known to have one or several Schicks in his arsenal at times,and Howard Vickery was playing with one full time,and might still be. Funny how someone mentioned Sigel and Varner using Danny Janes/Joss cues at the same time,the one Sigel used from that era is to me the most gorgeous cue on the planet,if I had the 10,000 to go buy it,I swear I'd play with it. Sigel and Varner both have had several custom cues they used to own come up for sale,namely both of the Joss cues mentioned here,Varner's SouthWest,and Mike's old Gina,which he played with in the televised 1993 U.S. Open semis,while supposedly still under contract with Joss. Tommy D.

buddha162
07-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Teddy Garahan uses a Skip Weston, with a Predator shaft I believe.

Yang has at least 4 SW's that I've seen, probably more. His Ebony on Ebony SW is one classy cue. He won most of his early tournaments with that one.

Chao used to have an ivory/Ebony Gina.

The funniest thing is if you go to the worldpoolchampionship website it says Hsia shoots with a "Tim." I'm pretty sure they mean Tim Scruggs, though I can't be certain.

-Roger

Rich R.
07-01-2004, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> They seem to all prefer a kind of plain Jain with maybe some inlays but not much. I noticed this on ESPN and they dont play with diamond, pearl etc... extensive " eye candy " type of inlays. <hr /></blockquote>
Per the May issue of BD, WPBA player Jennifer Chen plays with a Cognoscenti cue, featuring 395 inlays of silver, ivory and turquoise, valued at $35,000.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr>I know they can afford them if they really wanted em. <hr /></blockquote>
No, most of pro players can not "afford" them. If you haven't heard lately, there is not a lot of money in pool. Most of the pro players do not pay for their cues.
Jennifer Chen may be able to afford her special cue, because, in her country she is a very big celebrity and does a lot more than play pool.

Chris Cass
07-01-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>A friend of mine will be receiving his Barry cue this year btw. Lucky bastard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Is that with the Red Dot shaft? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

C.C.~~working on the winter catolog of Barry ware. LOL

Barbara
07-01-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>A friend of mine will be receiving his Barry cue this year btw. Lucky bastard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Is that with the Red Dot shaft? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

C.C.~~working on the winter catolog of Barry ware. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Ooooooooo....

Keep messing with the Pool Gods, guys... LOL!

Barbara

Chris Cass
07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Yo Tommy,

Speaking of Keith Josey. I hear he puts a leather wrap on that the seem is vurtually imposible to see. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
07-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi Barbara,

Joey started it and I'm innocent. I sure don't want the pool Gods mad at me. I pretty much want to stay on their good side.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-01-2004, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Per the May issue of BD, WPBA player Jennifer Chen plays with a Cognoscenti cue, featuring 395 inlays of silver, ivory and turquoise, valued at $35,000.
<hr /></blockquote>

She was playing with that in Peoria. Having read the above magazine I was looking for it. I did not see it close up but even from a few feet away it looked good.

Shawn Putnam plays all the Viking stops with his $25,000 Josey, or at least he was using it when I saw him.

Fred Agnir
07-01-2004, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Jennifer Chen ... in her country she is a very big celebrity and does a lot more than play pool. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, like she gets to be in a book of photos of herself, with let's say less than the attire you would normally be seen in public.

Fred &lt;~~~ there is a god

Rich R.
07-01-2004, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Yeah, like she gets to be in a book of photos of herself, with let's say less than the attire you would normally be seen in public. <hr /></blockquote>
....... and gets paid well, for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cueless Joey
07-01-2004, 09:05 AM
The pool Gods mess are into cues too?
Pool Gods love my friend then.
This year he's had a Tad billiard cue and a Gina 4oth Anniversary pool cue delivered.
No red dots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee
07-01-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> I noticed this on ESPN and they dont play with diamond, pearl etc... extensive " eye candy " type of inlays. I know they can afford them if they really wanted em. <hr /></blockquote>

trailboss...You're sadly misinformed here. MOST pro players can NOT afford a cue costing several thousand dollars. If they own one, is it likely because the cuemaker offered to 'sponsor' them, by making them a fancy cue. Like me...I play with a $4000 Samsara custom cue, but I'd never be willing to pay that much for a cue (unless I was VERY wealthy)! There are, however, many amateur players who have the means and desire to own fancy custom cues.

Scott Lee

Tommy_Davidson
07-04-2004, 03:36 AM
&gt; Yes he does,as does Joe Gold. On the first Cognoscenti I ever saw,a very knowledgable collector/salesman named Adam Orr from Memphis and myself looked for the seam for 20 minutes with a jewelers loupe,and never did find it. Josey does a hell of a lizard wrap,maybe as good as Paul Mottey. Tommy D.

Chris Cass
07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi Tommy,

Joey used to own a couple of S.W.' when he used to play some yrs ago. He was a heck of a painter and did the Chicago Billiard Cafe. He also was a carpenter or cabinet maker. I was there when he said he was feed up with the game and was selling his cues. He said he was going to start making cues. Joey was an excellent bankpool player.

I have heard some really good things coming out of the Josey camp. I've seen some of Motteys work with lizard wrap also. Good stuff.

Regards,

C.C.