PDA

View Full Version : Can Kobayashi defend his title ?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-01-2004, 05:50 AM
ESPN Preps for Nathan's Event
6/28/2004
No utensils will be necessary and no condiments allowed during ESPNís inaugural telecast of the 2004 Nathanís Hot Dog Eating Contest live from Coney Island, N.Y., Sunday at 12 p.m. ET.

The one-hour special will be hosted by ESPNís Gary Miller, who will be joined by George Shea and Richard Shea of the International Federation of Competitive Eating and ESPN.com sports business reporter Darren Rovell, who has covered the event for ESPNís SportsCenter and ESPN.com for the past two years.

ESPNís telecast will feature a 40-minute pre-game segment highlighting the history of the event and outlining the rules of the competition, leading in to the 12-minute, all-you-can-eat contest. The event will showcase 20 eating competitors (13 from the United States, two from Japan, and one each from England, New Zealand, Germany, and Canada), including Japanís Takeru Kobayashi, who holds the current world hot dog-eating record, consuming 50 Ĺ hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes in 2001.

ďFrom the Stanley Cup Finals to the National Spelling Bee, every ESPN-televised event shares a common link Ė a competitive core,Ē said Julie Sobieski, ESPN Director of Programming. ďThe Nathanís Hot Dog Eating Contest will add a little mustard to our wide programming variety by showcasing a fun, historical competition featuring amazing individual performances.Ē

ďWe view this as a significant step forward for competitive eating and we hope it will help build momentum for our effort to secure a place in the Olympics [ /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ],Ē said David Baer, director of global expansion for the IFOCE.

The Nathanís Hot Dog Eating Contest is held each year on July 4 at the original Nathanís Famous location at Surf and Stillwell avenues in Coney Island, N.Y. ESPNís live coverage will also be shown on the ABC SuperSign in Times Square from 12-1 p.m.

Log on to http://media.espn.com/MediaZone/HotDogEatingphotos.htm for photos from last yearís competition.

ESPN televises a wide variety of sporting events and competitions including poker, scrabble, chess and table tennis, among others. ESPN also televises the Scripps National Spelling Bee, Mathcounts National Competition, Firefighters' Combat Challenge, National SWAT Challenge, Best Ranger Challenge, School Bus Demolition Derby and Lawn Mower Racing competitions.

http://www.ifoce.com/news.php?action=detail&sn=105

catscradle
07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> ESPN Preps for Nathan's Event
6/28/2004
... ESPNís inaugural telecast of the 2004 Nathanís Hot Dog Eating Contest live from Coney Island, N.Y., Sunday at 12 p.m. ET...
<hr /></blockquote>

Now that is really sad when an eating contest gets a better time slot than pool. And live no less. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Although I guess it makes sense since the FAT, OVEREATING demographic is much bigger (no pun intended) than the pool playing demographic.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Now that is really sad when an eating contest gets a better time slot than pool. And live no less. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

It will probably get better ratings than pool also /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
Although I guess it makes sense since the FAT, OVEREATING demographic is much bigger (no pun intended) than the pool playing demographic.
<hr /></blockquote>

I believe there may be some overlap in those demographics. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leviathan
07-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Mentioned this to my dad, who was born on Coney Island in 1919. He said he remembered the intersection at Surf and Stilwell as it was seventy-five years ago. Surf and Stilwell was in the boardwalk area, an area of snack stands and cheap amusements. The snack of choice was "hotcorn," a boiled ear of corn. He said he remembered seeing silent movies at a movie house in that neighborhood--admission was ten cents.--AS

nAz
07-01-2004, 12:07 PM
I will be there this sunday.
anyone else?

TomBrooklyn
07-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I would have liked to go nAz. Give me a shout next time. I was there the night before for the movies. (http://www.coneyisland.com/films.shtml) Nude On The Moon was super campy fun. The Double D Avenger started off funny but wound up relying on the same running gags over and over.

Koybayashi threepeated. (http://www.nathansfamous.com/nathans/news/htmls/whats_new_main.asp) Amazing. The guy weighs 145 lbs and has a thirty inch waist.

wolfdancer
07-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Wally, not only did the amazing Kobayashi defend his crown successfully, but set a new world's record in the process. And at 132 lbs, he would have had to be considered the "underdog" to his 400 lb opponent, Ed "Badlands" Booker.
AND... (Fox Sports) The Black Widow, 100 lb Sonja Thomas, of Virginia, set the all-time women's record, 32 hot dogs (actually more then Bafdlands mere 27)
"She's just beginning at this, so the sky's the limit. she may be the only one who can challenge the Japanese dominance in the future"

Troy
07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Only a few of the competitors I saw could be considered FAT.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>