PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame

EZMark
05-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Congrats to Jim Rempe and Lorrie Jones for making the hall of fame both are very deserving.But my question is how about some of the oldtimers i.e. Marcel Camp,Earl Shriever, John Rags Fitzpatrick,and U.J.Pucket to name a few.There should be a deceased category you must take care of your history, that is just my opinion Thnx EZMark

07-18-2002, 03:54 AM

Voodoo Daddy
07-18-2002, 04:46 AM
I'm all for Marcel Camp being in the HOF. Danny Diliberto, a players player said Marcel Camp was amazing. When I hear a legend like Danny say "Well Camp said"...I know he was for real. What about Danny Gartner, {aka} "Young Greenleaf" or "Jersy Red" Jack Briett {sp}...the list is endless

Q-guy
07-18-2002, 07:57 AM
My guess is, some of the names you mention would not even be recognized by today's players. A lot of pools history is not very well documented. Most of what is known about these players comes from word of mouth by older players, little is written. I don't disagree with this years choices, but the more time that goes by, the greater the chance many players will be lost to history and never really recognized. I don't know what can be done about it. I really believe a physical billiard hall of fame is needed. A place where the true history of the sport can be documented and studied by today's players. Perhaps a virtual hall of fame on the net. It would make a nice project for a player or fan with the time and skills at website building to put together. You would be hard pressed to find any information at all about even very well known players like Mosconi, Hoppe, Greenleif, Ponzi and so on, on the net right now. Maybe there is a germ of an idea here for some CCBer;s to get started on. It has to be done sometime soon before these players are forgotten all together.

EZMark
07-18-2002, 08:51 AM
We will lose our history if the BCA does not wake up, Eddie Taylor will tell you John Rags Fitzpatrick was the best one pocket player of his day [maybe the best of all time].Eddie was just a shade better at bank pool, Wimpy a shade better at nine ball, straight pool was even between the three after WWII. There was Marcel Camp,Earl Schriever,Marshal [squirrel]Carpenter,Danny [Handsome]Jones,Jack[Red Rider]Briet,well I think you get the idea. I Am sorry for any of those that I neglected to name,but the BCA should pick up the ball and make an Emeritus section these people should not be forgotten from our hall of fame. The BCA could use Bill[Weenie Beanie] Staton as a historian for this era.This must happen to keep our history in tack.Thnx EZMark

PQQLK9
07-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Bill[Weenie Beanie]Staton died a few months ago (I read that somewhere) you might want to confirm...

07-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone, once in a while I read some stuff here in ccb. Personally I would like to see a billiard web portal. A few years back, I had a project and started a billiard site called one-ball.com. This site was one of the first website on the net who uses a database as its backbone. Besides AZbilliards, personally I thought the site is the most extensive and complex billiard site at the time. It had everything you can think of. It was scaleable and has potential. It was up for about three months and was getting about 2000 hits without any advertising. The sad part was the site had lack of support from both the billiard and business community. At, the time nobody seems to get the idea of having a billiard web portal, everyone is just interested on having a forum, and tour updates. Its like if you want a forum its billiardsdigest.com, If you want updates its az. Although I have seen some of these sites grow. It still doesn't address the issue of how we can make pool as a viable business. I have to can my project because it was too big an idea at the time and I dont have the proper resources to maintain it. I still have the template for the site and is willing to collaborate with anyone who have the time and resources to build an idea into reality. Anyone can contact me at bricktoys4u@hotmail.com

I personally thinks that pool itself would not flourish the way we want it to be if we rely from our existing billiard community and system of them doing business. The money is just not there, we are a sports/recreation full of poor people. We have to look outside the bubble to make it. We have to address the issue of how we should make pool as the "it thing" to the non-pool playing public. Sadly, I still have too see a website that is interesting enough for the non-pool pllaying public to use.

Sorry for the ranting....

Q-guy
07-18-2002, 02:19 PM
You mentioned Marcel Camp in each of your posts. He is a very obscure character I am curious how you happen to know about him. I knew him quite well in his later years and was at the hospital when he died. He was the house man in the poolroom where I played for many years. I used to drive him around. I don't know if he even had a license. He was a terrific one pocket player and played very good snooker. He was known as a loser when it came to gambling. He did not care about money, it was just for gambling. He would have $5000. in his pocket and would order the cheapest thing on the menu so he could save the money to gamble. His reputation for losing was legendary. Here is a funny story I personally saw. He was betting $200. on a proposition shot on the 6 x 12 snooker table. It was an almost impossible cut shot. He was getting 100 tries to make it once. On the second try he cut the ball into the jaws of the pocket but it did not fall. The guy offered him $150.00 to call off the bet, figuring he would save $50. It looked like a trap. Camp said no, and proceeded to miss the shot 98 more times to lose the money. Just another day in the life of Marcel Camp. I liked him a lot, it is fun to think about him again.

EZMark
07-18-2002, 06:39 PM
After WWII in the D.C. there were a few rooms in the area where all the action was. I ran into him many times during this period of time. You are right he was a loser, at baseball games but not at pool. He took some young players out on the road. One is still out there so I will not mention any names. He was quite a game maker. He turned alot of money,but he went thru a lot. Thnx EZMark

Q-guy
07-19-2002, 09:32 AM
I should have been a little more clear, sports betting and the track were his downfalls when it came to gambling. When I knew him most of his cue skills were gone although he could still play one pocket. Some credit him as being one of the originators of one pocket, but I don't know. There was a book out years ago called "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota fats. Camp is talked about in the book and there is even an old picture of him.

EZMark
07-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Q-guy it sounds like he had a good friend,in you, in the days when I knew him he was known as the hawk, and could flat play. To my knowledge he did not invent the game of one pocket it was here long before him. Thnx EZMark

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2002, 09:25 PM
Geez Q...you that old already? Hey...that means I'm getting up there too!!! Damn!

Troy
07-20-2002, 10:29 AM
I agree with you Mark. I am old enough to either remember those guys (plus others) or remember stories about them. Unfortunately, I am also old enough to have forgotten some great stories about many of those in Pool History.

Troy...~~~ Really feeling "old" now..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: EZMark:</font><hr> We will lose our history if the BCA does not wake up, Eddie Taylor will tell you John Rags Fitzpatrick was the best one pocket player of his day [maybe the best of all time].Eddie was just a shade better at bank pool, Wimpy a shade better at nine ball, straight pool was even between the three after WWII. There was Marcel Camp,Earl Schriever,Marshal [squirrel]Carpenter,Danny [Handsome]Jones,Jack[Red Rider]Briet,well I think you get the idea. I Am sorry for any of those that I neglected to name,but the BCA should pick up the ball and make an Emeritus section these people should not be forgotten from our hall of fame. The BCA could use Bill[Weenie Beanie] Staton as a historian for this era.This must happen to keep our history in tack.Thnx EZMark <hr></blockquote>