PDA

View Full Version : Pool Videos on Ebay

datplayer
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
My wife just recently purchased a video of the 2002 WPC off Ebay for me as a gift. Well, when I went to watch it, the matches were taped off television (FoxSports i think). I had no problem with this, since the coverage was very comprehensive and the quality was decent for the price ($10).

My question is, isn't this illegal? Are you allowed to tape these matches off TV and sell them on Ebay?

I personally do not have a problem with this especially since I don't get FoxSports

Hmm, hope I didn't just blow someone's cover...

tateuts
07-01-2004, 03:17 PM
It is unlikely these broadcasts fall in public domain and is very likely they are copyrighted, which means selling tapes of them is illegal. This is the same piracy/copyright infringement that is rampant in all forms of media including music, movies, and computer software.

In this case I think it is highly unlikely that a network would bother with enforcing this. The seller is not "competing" with the network since the network is not offering it's own tapes for sale.

However, I have seen plenty of bootleg copies of Accustat videos, instructional videos, etc. I think that is a more serious concern.

Chris

piglit
07-06-2004, 08:26 AM
It's only wrong if you get caught!

-piga

PQQLK9
07-06-2004, 09:32 AM
pig,u r a genius!