PDA

View Full Version : Cosby speaks out again

eg8r
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said. <font color="green"> I love this paragraph, give the parents some responsibility in how their children grow up and act. </font color>

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, <font color="green"> This fool should be ignored, if a white actor stepped out and said these same things about black people Jesse Jackson would have been in the fore-front suing his butt off. </font color> founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

<hr /></blockquote> Here is the link (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/01/cosby.comments.ap/index.html) to the CNN article. I think the man is right on. The same can be said about all the white trash out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am glad Bill is standing up and saying it because no white man would be able to say the exact same words without being called a racist.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Can you imagine the look on JJ's face when Cos was saying this stuff. He probly turned pink /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If this keeps up JJ's shakedown racket will suffer.

Cos has got "f**k-you money" and he's at a point in his life where he doesn't care if somebody calls him an Uncle Tom or a House N*****.

Barbara
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
eg8r,

I read that article, too. Loved it!!

And why is the NAACP still around for?

Barbara

Nightstalker
07-02-2004, 12:28 PM
wErD y0 lol

Ross
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Good for Cosby! That took guts, but he is sending the right message. And its good to hear he got applause instead of boos.

I have been saying for years (causing a couple of my liberal friends to do a bit of head-shaking) that black leaders who insisted on blaming "whitey" for all their troubles were were not only not helping the black community at all, but they were also insulting blacks by seeing them as hapless victims. Such victimhood thinking keeps you stuck.

Sure racism still exists. Sure the good old boy system still exists in some places. That isn't the issue. The issue is how do you get where you want to be in such a society. It's certainly not by dropping out of school, calling your women ho's and bixxxes, or turning to crime as so many young black males have been doing.

I read a story in the paper once about a Vietnamese guy who came over to the US in the '80's I think. He had no friends and didn't know the language or the culture. He got a job as a dishwasher, rented a dirt cheap room behind someones house, and made like 12k his first year. He ate a lot of rice that year and he kept his living expenses to just a few dollars per day. He managed to save 8k of that 12, and used that to somehow open his own store (or restaurant, I don't remember) his second year in the US, and was doing great a couple of years later when the article was written.

So this guy faced racism, poverty, and had no social supports. Yet he was determined not to stay poor. So he did what he had to to get his own business going. Was that because he was a "better" guy than those who stay poor? No, it was because he was raised in a culture that emphasized hard work and making a future by becoming a business owner.

So parents and leaders who say it's not your fault, theres nothing you can do but be angry, are not doing their followers any favors. They need to change their message to "work hard, stay in school, own your own businesses" and when you get rich, and some of those "racist whiteys" will be working for you!

Go Cosby!

BTW, JJ said something in a similar vein years ago (about being more scared when he was followed by a black man than a white man) and took enormous heat for it.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Holy cow Ross, there may be hope for you yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Good for Cosby! That took guts, but he is sending the right message. And its good to hear he got applause instead of boos. <hr /></blockquote>

I heard some of the clips. The applause was not exactly deafening until he said "I don't care what the white man thinks of me". Of course he meant it was not fruitful to let perceived rascism keep you down, but I don't know if the audience was applauding for the same reason.

Cueless Joey
07-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Good for Cosby.
He made it and so can most people of his color.
I heard Bill still to this day tries to repay the lead guy of I Spy for fighting to get him in that show. He still books Robert Culp to a 5-star hotel whenever he's in town.
The rappers have really set the black people back. They're doing them no favors. The NBA players are doing the same thing. Kids save their allowances now so they can buy athletic gear/clothing, not for college someday.

eg8r
07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
I think what I like the most is the fact that he mentions the parents are not doing their jobs. Plain and simple. This has nothing to do with skin color. The other great point is the fact that there are choices to make and a lot of these kids are making the wrong ones, and laughing about it. A large amount of them laugh all the way to the welfare counter.

eg8r

Ross
07-02-2004, 09:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Good for Cosby.
...The rappers have really set the black people back. They're doing them no favors.
The NBA players are doing the same thing. Kids save their allowances now so they can buy athletic gear/clothing, not for college someday.
<hr /></blockquote>
I get the part about the problem with rappers that glorify guns and violence and spending too much money on jewelry and cars, and who talk about women like they are disposable and contemptible property (but I wouldn't generalize to all rappers).

But I don't get the comment about the NBA players being responsible for kids wasting their money on b-ball shoes, etc. It is the kids parents fault for not teaching the value of a dollar, not the NBA players who have every right to pursue their talents as far as they will take them. Blaming the choices kids make on the NBA players seems to make the black kids helpless victims again and seems to be the opposite of the point Cosby was making about personal responsibility.

Barbara
07-03-2004, 06:14 AM
A lot of kids today want it easy. They don't want to work hard. They don't have too many examples of others working hard for what they want, so they just don't get it.

All they really think they need is to cut a rap CD or get to be good in a sport, and they too can ride around in Escalades with posses and tons of people around them to serve their every whim. This is what they see and think that they deserve it, too. MTV really has done a good job of promoting this idea.

Barbara

Barbara
07-03-2004, 06:18 AM
CJ,

In the newspaper the other day there was a article about this town area in NC (I think) that was told it couldn't enforce a dress code barring athletic wear, sneakers, tank tops, and muscle shirts because it was discriminating against minorities and poor people.

What a load of crap!!

Barbara

Ross
07-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Barbara, do you have a source for that? I live in NC and would like to see it.

Barbara
07-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Ross,

I'll have to chack at work next week that the paper it was in didn't get tossed.

Barbara

Barbara
07-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Ross,

I'm sorry, the protest was in Louisville, KY.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/9035269.htm

Barbara

TomBrooklyn
07-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Word up, dog, that's the blip. Hard spielin Cosby lays a rightous racket. He knows when you bust your conk, the gravy flows. Some brothers may think he's off the cob, but the smart ones will be pounding mitts. It's hard for the hincty JJ to igg that rap coming from a buddy ghee like the Coz.