PDA

View Full Version : U. J. Puckett

trailboss
07-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi all! Any one ever play Pucket, seen him play, or know any stories or bio,s here? Inquiring minds would like to know!

randyg
07-03-2004, 08:04 AM
I played against Mr. Puckett several times. By then U.J. was well past his prime playing time but not story telling time. Every match we played was just an intro to another tale. I believe he was one of our all time greats.

I also spent quite a bit of time with "Cowboy" Jimmy Moore. Moore's opinion was that U.J was the best.

Whatever, I treasure those moments.....randyg

Popcorn
07-03-2004, 09:46 AM
"I also spent quite a bit of time with "Cowboy" Jimmy Moore. Moore's opinion was that U.J was the best."

The best what, story teller, player, road player, hustler? That TV segment years ago brought him quite a bit of notoriety but as a player I don't think he was anything exceptional. I only met him once when he was quite a bit older and he was interesting but I knew players that knew he when he was younger and I never heard of him being a world beater. He seemed more a pool room character from what I have been told. Did he ever win any tournaments or defeat any big name players for the cash?

OnePocketChamp
07-05-2004, 09:17 AM
I had the pleasure of spending about two hours with U. J. back in 1983 at Fast Freddies in Fort Worth, Texas. It was at a Saturday night 8-Ball tournament and before the tournament started he challenged the tournament winner to a game of 8-Ball. I was that winner and we played the one game, it took forever to play because UJ told stories to the crowd all during the game---what a great guy and a memory I have always cherished, plus I got a picture of him presenting me with the trophy. I dogged my out ball to let him win, Okay, okay thats not true----he beat me with ease but still a great thrill for me.

http://www.acandlescent.com/OPC/puckett.jpg

randyg
07-05-2004, 03:45 PM
POPCORN: Take your pick......randyg

Popcorn
07-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Cleaver answer, the problem is, pool has more phony champions then almost any sport. Grady comes on here says he is a four time world champion. They play a double elimination tournament with like 20 players that show and call the winner a "World Champion". It is a bogus term in my opinion. No disrespect, but what did U.J. Puckett win? I'm not allowed to ask?

BillPorter
07-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi Popcorn, I may have a scintilla or two of information about Utley J. Puckett for you. Though I didn't know him personally, I began my pool playing in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the early 1960's and Puckett was around that area at that time. Everyone had a story or two about him. My read on him is that he was one of the more colorful hustlers of his era. He might walk into a poolroom dressed as a hunter or a farmer. Might be carrying a big sack of groceries and wearing bib overalls. Most of his wins were mortal locks played against recreational players, drunks, and rail bangers. I think he played well enough to beat most of the local champions in small to medium size towns, but, to my knowledge, he never won any significant tournaments. Of course, Puckett would have said that he didn't WANT to win any tournaments as that would have killed his action. I hear he could play a pretty mean game of one-pocket. I think he and Bill Stroud traveled together for a while. Any maybe "Hansome" Danny Jones was a road buddy for a while. I knew a player from Mississippi named Sonny Springer who was a strong player, but not a champion, and I think Sonny could beat U.J. Hope this helps you get a handle of Utley. Oh, one other thing, he did leave behind a quote that appears here and there if you do a Google search on "U.J. Puckett." The quote is, "Work is for cowards."

eg8r
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dogged my out ball to let him win, Okay, okay thats not true----he beat me with ease but still a great thrill for me.
<hr /></blockquote> Hey Les,
That was a great story and just so you know, you don't look a day older right now than you did in that picture. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Alright I am kidding, but you started it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r