PDA

View Full Version : My pool hall is gone....

phil in sofla
07-02-2004, 04:32 PM
For the third time in a couple of years, I've had my favorite pool hall taken away from me by sudden events.

First, Bogie's Billiards ran afoul of a divorce issue and had to close. Then Kelly's Billiards got an offer they couldn't refuse, from the Publix grocery store chain wanting to expand. (At least the Weavers cashed nicely in that deal, and deservedly so).

Now, Breakers Billiards is under new management, who intend to turn the place into Breakers Latinos, catering to local Latinos (evidently mainly Columbians). The juke box is off, replaced by either Spanish music CDs, or evidently a kind of Spanish MTV, videos off the satelllite, piped through the sound system. (So loud it overdrives the little ceiling speakers into a grating distortion, on top of the otherwise annoying mariachi band style of the music).

Sports on the big screens is now from Fox Sports en espanol, where I've learned that Toyota sponsors some large soccer (sorry, FUTBOL, of course!) cup event, and the Columbian team sports 'Poker' ads on their jerseys (the Argentinian team advertises 'Pepsi').

We're keeping our league team there for a trial season extra (we've been there maybe 6 seasons to date), but it looks like it's an intentionally uninviting environment for Anglos. It may drive our opponent teams a little crazier than it does us, just because we're going to be somewhat more used to it than they are.

They kept the Gold Crowns and Medallists, selling only the one drop pocket Diamond table to make room for a snooker table converted to a 3-C table, although he wants to get another couple of 3-C tables in there, as the Latin Americans play a lot of 'caroms.'

While we wish the new proprieter luck in how he's re-marketing the place, and hold nothing against his intended new clientelle, it has pushed out almost the entire old crowd, and even those for whom the hall was a second home away from home. Worse, from our standpoint, is that there was no viable comparable hall to relocate to, and when we do move, it will be to a place quite inferior to how Breakers used to be.

Seems that a pool hall business is fairly hard to keep going, as nearly every place down here was available for sale in the past year. How are things where you live? Any closings, or complete changes in emphasis that have driven you from somewhere you used to go regularly?

wolfdancer
07-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I only know one word in spanish
Goooooooo-aaaaaaaaa-lllllll !!!!!
Sorry to hear the bad news about the pool room...I've seen a few of my favorites close in recent years.
Hope things work out.

trailboss
07-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I hear ya loud and clear! I live in the Saint louis Metro area and while I cannot comment on the state of the poolhalls in Saint louis City proper as I never go there, not even for a ball game because of the cop parking hassel ripoff high cost of parking, cops towing cars etc... In the Saint Louis County area I am an expert, three halls were thriving in the 60,s and now one is left, I fear thier days are numbered also as only about four players are in there when I visit. The one that supports Leaque teams is thriving with tons of players, very crowded... very! The Saint Charles County rooms are all crowded, next county over and very affluent! Hope this helps!

Popcorn
07-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Nothing is forever, the place were I started playing, there is a high rise now. It just plain takes too much real estate to run a pool room and today's costs are just too high. If I were to even consider opening a room, it would have to be a small town type room where costs are much less. Even if you own the building it is the same difference. Why would I open a pool room in a building I could rent out for $7000. a month.

SecaucusFats
07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
I applaud your decision to give it a try. Things change and what you are experiencing is a natural reaction to the changes within a social setting. It's easy to feel somewhat bewildered. But you will find that, by and large, the new patrons are good and decent people just out for a good night. I'm sure that given a little time and some good will you'll feel accepted and you will make friends. If you don't already play, you could have a chance to learn 'carambola' (3C) from some good players. Hell you might even learn to dance, not all Latin music is mariachi music. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SF- Caballero por favor, un agua-ardiente a las rocas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

woody_968
07-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear that, our only pool hall around here with 9' tables has been on a steady decline for several years. What once had 20 nice 9' tables is now down to about 9 tables, and only two of them are even close to playable. And even they play like crap.

Sid_Vicious
07-02-2004, 08:52 PM
"you could have a chance to learn 'carambola' (3C) from some good players. Hell you might even learn to dance, not all Latin music is mariachi music"

I could deal with that...sid

tateuts
07-02-2004, 09:36 PM
The room I'm playing is is holding on by a thread - mainly a lease issue. I think pool is in a recession/depression.

Chris

Rich R.
07-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Phil, I think you, Kato, Gene and Frank should form a partnership and open your own poolroom. Make it the best Florida has ever seen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken
07-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Pool in Connecticut seems to be thriving. There are three new rooms within a few miles of each other on the Berlin turnpike. One was opened by a group that closed one nearby. They added bands and a full menu and seem to be doing much better. It seems the rooms that cater to the date crowd are doing the best and statewide non-smoking will probably help business a lot.

Manchester has three rooms, one that seems to cater to young boys and I won't even enter because of the bad looks I get. Another one is all bar tables and clearly for dates. They have young ladies in skimpy uniforms going around selling little drinks with strange names. You can play all night for $5 apiece but everyone seems just to have some drinks and then go somewhere to do something else. Then they rent the tables to another couple until they drink enough and are ready to go do something else. The first time I went in and saw all those small tables I didn't think they had any chance of making any money but I quickly found out they were doing a great business.

I've even heard there is going to be a room opening less than 2 miles from my house and I'm sure that will cater to the young dating crowd as well. Unfortunately that leaves me out but I'll go in to check the place out.
Ken in CT

Popcorn
07-03-2004, 12:13 PM
The dreaded partnership. Guaranteed to hate each other in no time. One partner is too many.

SPetty
07-05-2004, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>Caballero por favor, un agua-ardiente a las rocas!<hr /></blockquote>Isn't babelfish fun:

"Horseman please, a brandy to rocks"

Barbara
07-05-2004, 07:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>Caballero por favor, un agua-ardiente a las rocas!<hr /></blockquote>Isn't babelfish fun:

"Horseman please, a brandy to rocks" <hr /></blockquote>

I thought "Caballo" was horse and "Caballero" was gentleman. (??)

Barbara~~~no me requerdo mucha de mi espanol... lo siento...

Alfie
07-06-2004, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> For the third time in a couple of years, I've had my favorite pool hall taken away from me by sudden events.<hr /></blockquote>So, Phil, where do you think your fourth pool hall will be? What is that place like?

Jimmy B
07-06-2004, 01:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> I won't even enter because of the bad looks I get. Ken in CT <hr /></blockquote>

Ken you know you're always welcome at Action.

JB

SecaucusFats
07-06-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>Caballero por favor, un agua-ardiente a las rocas!<hr /></blockquote>Isn't babelfish fun:

"Horseman please, a brandy to rocks" <hr /></blockquote>

I thought "Caballo" was horse and "Caballero" was gentleman. (??)

Barbara~~~no me requerdo mucha de mi espanol... lo siento... <hr /></blockquote>

"Agua ardiente" or "burning water" is a Colombian liqueur that is similar to Italian "Sambucca" but is 100 proof. The proper translation is: "Sir, an "agua ardiente" on the rocks, please."

On a different note one of the nice things about Northern New Jersey and the NY metro area is the tremendous diversity of cultural and ethnic groups. Go into any pool hall around here and you'll see people of every race,ethnicity, color, and creed under the sun, all together having fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SF

Barbara
07-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Okay, SF!

Gotcha on that one, and I'll buy you one at Herbert's.

Barbara~~~looking forward to meeting a new CCBer!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif