PDA

View Full Version : Best Bar Box

trailboss
07-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi all! What is the best Bar Box on the market? What is the official size of the Bar Box? Thanks!

highsea
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Most bar tables are either 3 1/2 x 7 or 4 x 8. (that's slate size, not playing area) In my area the 4 x 8's are much more common. I only know of 2 bars that have 7 footers.

Valley/Dynamo (now owned by Brunswick) has pretty much dominated in the last few years. Fischers used to be pretty popular, but they're getting pretty old by now, and I don't see many of them left in my area any more. There are a couple other manufacturers, but they are not really a factor in the barbox market.

Diamond is trying to make a push into the market with the smart tables, but we haven't seen them around here yet. Rumor has it that they are offering a pretty good deal to bars for replacing the Valleys, but there are a few kinks in the tables that haven't been worked out yet.

Brunswick, at least in my area, is making the new Championship cloth the standard, which should improve the play on the Valleys. My local hangout is supposed to get the tables recovered in the next couple weeks. If they really do it, I will post a revue of the cloth.

DialUp
07-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I looked at that Centennial Cloth a week ago. The salesman was spilling water on it to show me how it would not penetrate the cloth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif . He also said that it would not get the white burn marks, as well.

I was unsure of the playabilty so I went with some 860 but this stuff looks like it will be, at least, great for bars. Bar cloth is bad 99% of the time, changing that would be a grat start. I guess we will see if it holds up to smoke...

Chris Cass
07-02-2004, 10:34 PM
The kind you will be competeing on.

Regards,

C.C.~~did I win?

Karatemom
07-03-2004, 07:47 AM
We've got Diamond smart tables here. I don't know about the exact size, 7 1/2 or 8', but I can tell you that the Diamonds have a much deeper shelf on them. So if you need to fire a ball in the hole to get position on the next, and you're off by 1/8", you will jar the ball. On a Valley, it'll go in everytime like that, but not on a Diamond. The other big difference that I notice between the two is the cut of the pockets. It is much easier to cut a ball in the side pocket on a Diamond than it is on a Valley.

Also, on a Valley, you must use some kind of a weighted or magnetic ball, you can not use a red dot as on a Diamond. The weights and magnetic balls are much heavier and harder to draw with than a red dot or red circle cb.

Heide

Ken
07-03-2004, 09:52 AM
If you want to be able to move from a 7 foot table to a 9 footer you should go with the Diamond. The Diamond table is designed to play just like the larger table except for the distance of some of the shots.

It seems to me the Valleys play way different than any 9 foot table and it would be more difficult to make the transition to the larger tables. I would avoid the Valleys unless I planned to play tournaments on them. In the near future there may be far less tournaments played on Valleys.
Ken in CT

Chris Cass
07-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi Ken,

I'm not to sure about that. You know Canada is ACS country and in the midwest also. We needed 30 members to make a sanctioned BCA league, I think. I want to be dual sactioned myself and could care less about the small $10. fee. The good thing is you can still play the BCA national for a small fee.

It seems like it's an area thing. Sure wish we had a league in every area. What am I talking about? I don't even like leagues. LOL I just enjoy playing the national events. Especially with Fred and Barbara, and SPetty and Spiderman and everyone elase I haven't mentioned. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
07-03-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The weights and magnetic balls are much heavier and harder to draw with than a red dot or red circle cb.
<hr /></blockquote>

Em, slight correction Heide. The Red Dot is a heavier ball than the valley magnetic ball. The Valley ball is actually quite easy to draw. It is heavier than the Red Circle of course which is the easiest of the three mentioned. There are several grams that separate each. I have weight list some where, just to lazy to find it. lol

BTW I like the diamond side pockets, bar or big table. Valley's just aren't cut right.

Rod

stickman
07-03-2004, 11:50 AM
We use the Valley tables and use the Super Pro Aramith cueballs for tournaments. We leave the sides open so you can retrieve the cue ball on a scratch. With good cloth and a good cueball, I'm happy with the way it plays.

Karatemom
07-03-2004, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
The weights and magnetic balls are much heavier and harder to draw with than a red dot or red circle cb.
<hr /></blockquote>

Em, slight correction Heide. The Red Dot is a heavier ball than the valley magnetic ball. The Valley ball is actually quite easy to draw. It is heavier than the Red Circle of course which is the easiest of the three mentioned. There are several grams that separate each. I have weight list some where, just to lazy to find it. lol

BTW I like the diamond side pockets, bar or big table. Valley's just aren't cut right.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>Thanks, Rod. I knew it was something like that. We played with some kind of a heavy, weighted ball at State that was damn near impossible for me to draw.

I completely agree about the side pockets. I'm not sure what Valley was thinking about cutting those side pockets almost perpendicular to the rail! But I still don't like the shelf on the Diamonds. All in all, I'd have to say that I like the look and play of a Diamond, but I can sure make more balls on a Valley, LOL.

Heide

Chris Cass
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi K-Mom,

I believe you wouldn't have much of a problem as of your resent jump in play. I'd say your sing is about 2 balls. I can tell in your stroke. The tenetive stroke and the more confident commited stroke. I can hear it without looking. Your going up, too bad your unable to see that yourself. So many players don't see their progress and other will first. Then, it sets in and the confidence seems to shine. Keep shining....

Regards,

C.C.~~gosh I love the feeling of when instruction and hard work starts to show. it's like a patt on the back and makes me smile. Hey, just like Scott Lee. no wonder he's always smiling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif