PDA

View Full Version : You make the call.

kenz54
07-02-2004, 06:49 PM
In 8 ball....the player breaking does not pocket a ball. His opponent comes up to an open table. On the shot....the person gets a solid ball in but also scratches on the shot. Has that person established solids as his balls or is it still an open table because of the scratch?

woody_968
07-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Well there are many different rules to 8-ball, but if going by the BCA rules I would say the table is still open.

4.10 CHOICE OF GROUP
The choice of stripes or solids is not determined on the break even if balls are made from only one or both groups, because the table is always open immediately after the break shot. The choice of group is determined only when a player legally pockets a called object ball after the break shot.
4.16 ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS
An object ball is considered to be illegally pocketed when (1) that object ball is pocketed on the same shot a foul is committed, or (2) the called ball did not go in the designated pocket, or (3) a safety is called prior to the shot. Illegally pocketed balls remain pocketed and are scored in favor of the shooter controlling that specific group of balls, solids or stripes.

Frank_Glenn
07-02-2004, 07:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> In 8 ball....the player breaking does not pocket a ball. His opponent comes up to an open table. On the shot....the person gets a solid ball in but also scratches on the shot. Has that person established solids as his balls or is it still an open table because of the scratch? <hr /></blockquote>

I think you need to make a legal shot by almost any rule set, so the table would be open.

Chris Cass
07-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Open man. That's my story and I'm sticken to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

kenz54
07-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Woody, Frank and Chris....thanks for your help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif