PDA

View Full Version : New Jump Tip On Stealth

Sid_Vicious
07-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Thought I'd try posting a pic of the new jump tip Spidey installed on my Stealth JC. I have not chalked it yet due to the impending photo op, but it does jump great without chalk, I can just imagine how it'll work with chalk and intentional spin.

Damn thing sure is a eye catcher being white, huh...sid~~~doubts he'll ever approach real close hops like CC though

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sidvic999/detail?.dir=/7142&.dnm=7dfc.jpg

WTF am I doing wrong? The viewable pic doesn't appear in the body. Here's the direct link anyway:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sidvic999/detail?.dir=/7142&.dnm=7dfc.jpg

Chris Cass
07-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Excellent pic Sid. Man, I sure wish I could do something like that. Oh, BTW, you won't be able to jump that 1/4th close distance or less, with the arc the way it is. I was talking totally flat. Just like if it were just the ferrule. Oh, the spin thing. I could never get any kind of spin off that tip. If you do than you'll have the one up on me. Matter of fact, I think you can jump better than me now. I don't practice it too much. My surgery prevents my arm from getting too high. That'll take time I assumme. I can do the dart stroke method but tell ya I've been working on my stroke and other things for the Open.

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
07-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Most people have to look hard to tell there is a tip on mine. I normally have to show them where the tip is, before they see it. Mine works real well. It gets better the more I use it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
07-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Chris...I posted again this AM about the white tip's performance, yes I get spin from the tip, simple stop draw and a pretty decent swerve on lengthy'er jumps. I'd say there is maybe 90% of the action in this tip as in the Lucasi for me, and it makes air sooner. The looks alone make the tip quite conversation piece.

Tell you something else I found out about the tip,,,I jump regular(underhand) really well with this combo. I'm not sure I can clain that feature about the Lucasi cue. The Lucasi JC still automatically works a bit better for me than the Stealth, maybe cuz I've worked with it for a few years now. I plan on focusing on the Stealth now, havin' fun!

I doubt very much I'm the jumper that you are. When I make one of those super close jumps then I'll feel like I can begin to compete with ya a little. My game's so far off right now, every aspect needs improvement, :-(

Spiderman worried if it would have a problem bonding, the tip almost feels like delrin(sp?) and hardly anything sticks to delrin. So far so good...sid

Chris Cass
07-04-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Chris...I posted again this AM about the white tip's performance, yes I get spin from the tip, simple stop draw and a pretty decent swerve on lengthy'er jumps. I'd say there is maybe 90% of the action in this tip as in the Lucasi for me, and it makes air sooner. The looks alone make the tip quite conversation piece.

Tell you something else I found out about the tip,,,I jump regular(underhand) really well with this combo. I'm not sure I can clain that feature about the Lucasi cue. The Lucasi JC still automatically works a bit better for me than the Stealth, maybe cuz I've worked with it for a few years now. I plan on focusing on the Stealth now, havin' fun!

I doubt very much I'm the jumper that you are. When I make one of those super close jumps then I'll feel like I can begin to compete with ya a little. My game's so far off right now, every aspect needs improvement, :-(

Spiderman worried if it would have a problem bonding, the tip almost feels like delrin(sp?) and hardly anything sticks to delrin. So far so good...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Sid,

I answered the other post with Jim' reply too. Spiderman has a valid point. He's been doing this stuff for awhile now and I concider him to one of the best. Still, you should have no worries. I replied when jumping that close the tip must be totally flat. Now, if there's a bonding issue it'll come out when it's flat and you hit the ball bad. I did this with one and it did pop off. That was flat though.

The arc thing should give you some action and I'm really happy you like the tip. For the break tip. I think I'd try one of their blue jobs. JAT

BTW, I'm not a even good jumper anymore. My arm won't get that high yet. I heard your going to the Open and I'll show you my stitches and you'll understand why. I have reached new heights though. I can reach the shower head with both arms. Doesn't seem like much but to me it was a God send.

Regards,

C.C.~~believe Sid can top C.C. anyday with the jump shot. Maybe even in the other departments too.

SpiderMan
07-07-2004, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Spiderman worried if it would have a problem bonding, the tip almost feels like delrin(sp?) and hardly anything sticks to delrin. So far so good...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Don't know exactly what it is, it's not delrin, but there is somewhat of a "slick" self-lubricating feel to it. I was a little concerned about the adhesion, so I grooved it good with some extra-coarse to give the glue some extra bite. Hopefully it will stay on.

Hardest part of that job was cutting the existing phenolic tip off in such a way that it could be re-used on the break cue. How did that work out?

BTW, I can't get to your picture link because of the "watchdog" program here at work.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
07-08-2004, 11:32 AM
The Falcon which now has the bakelite tip you cut off of the Stealth is a very noticable improvement in breaking ability, plus I play well with it also. I would have thought that I would get that glass shattering sound, but I don't seem to notice that it's bad at all. Ol' Gerome played a game with it the other day and did comment that he thought the ferrule was loose of something, and I informed him it had that tip and wasn't designed to be a play cue, so you'll probably hear it as well. I'd never have figured I could shoot with the thing and not be hassled with annoying sounds and miscues, but so far, I like it in both modes. You know me though, I like distinctive hard clicking sounds in a tip whereas most people can't stand them. Thanks for the B-day gift!

Sid