PDA

View Full Version : Best Teaching Video

trailboss
07-03-2004, 01:42 PM
I have only one that I started out with and that is Byrnes first video. Byrnes is very good at teaching the basics. I have went back several times and viewed it and learn somthing new each time. Any others?

SecaucusFats
07-03-2004, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> I have only one that I started out with and that is Byrnes first video. Byrnes is very good at teaching the basics. I have went back several times and viewed it and learn somthing new each time. Any others? <hr /></blockquote>

Here is a list of my tapes and DVD's. I have assigned a "*" rating to each with ***** being the best rating.

Videos: (VHS)
How To Play Pool Right - (Jerry Briesath/BCA) *****

Robert Byrne’s Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards Vol. I *****
Robert Byrne’s Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards Vol. II *****
Robert Byrne’s Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards Vol. V *****

The Monk 101 Vol. I *
The Monk 101 Vol. II *
The Monk 101 Vol. III *

Dr Cue’s Foundation For Banking and Kicking Vol. I *****
Dr Cue’s Foundation For Banking and Kicking Vol. II *****
Dr Cue’s Foundation For Banking and Kicking Vol. III *****

Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney)
Vol. I *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. II *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. III *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. IV *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. V *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. VI *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. VII *****
Private Lessons With The Preacher (Don “Preacher” Feeney) Vol. VIII *****

Grady Mathews- “The Finer Points of Pool” *****
Grady Mathews- “The Finer Points of Banking and Safety Play” *****
Grady Mathews- “The Finer Points of One Pocket” ****
Grady Mathews- “The Finer Points of Straight Pool” ***
Grady Mathews- “Only Kicks” ****
Grady Mathews- “Advanced Principles of Pool and Billiards” **

Jimmy Reid - “No Time For Negative” Vol. I ****
Jimmy Reid - “No Time For Negative” Vol. II ****
Jimmy Reid - “No Time For Negative” Vol. III ****
Jimmy Reid - “The Art of 8 Ball” ****

Eddie “Fast Eddie” Parker - “How To Master Pocket Billiards” ****

Bert Kinister - “The 60 Minute Workout for 8 Ball and 9 Ball” *****
Bert Kinister - “Advanced Fundamentals” *****
Bert Kinister- “Using The 6 Pointed Star” *****
Bert Kinister - “Step 1 – The Short Game” *****
Bert Kinister - “Step 2- The Middle Game” *****
Bert Kinister - “Step 3- The Long Game” *****
Bert Kinister- “The Mighty X” *****
Bert Kinister- “Building The Interior Of the Star” *****
Bert Kinister- “Building The Six-Pointed Star” *****
Jim Rempe- “How To Run A Rack In Straight Pool” *****

“Clash Of The Titans”: 1966 BCA Straight Pool Championship, (Crane vs. Balsis) (B&amp;W) - Hall of Famer-- Irving “The Deacon” Crane runs 150 and out against fellow Hall of Famer Joe “The Meatman” Balsis in one of the best straight pool matches ever. *****

Videos (DVD):

“Capelle on 9-Ball: Archer vs. Reyes” w/ companion book *****

“Gamebreakers” – Robert Byrne *****

SF

1a2b3c
07-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Bert Kinister- &amp;#8220;Building The Interior Of the Star and the 6 pointed star i know are good. My buddy let me borrow them once.

Pelican
07-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Lordy Fats, if you watch all them when do you have time to shoot /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mike_in_iowa
07-03-2004, 10:14 PM
It's funny. There was a post on a newsgroup that the star patterns were worthless. NOTHING COULD BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH. If a player had a solid base of fundementals and could buy 2-3 tapes, the star patterns and Bert's first tape would be the ones. Nothing better out there. Those tapes and an hour a day for 90 days will make anyone a threat. Good luck.

Mike_in_iowa

Rod
07-04-2004, 03:28 PM
That was my thoughts. lol I sometimes wonder if having that much info gets confusing to many people. It gets sorted out and what advice you "think" works. Only at a later date to find there is a better way. I learned the old fashion way, if it didn't work, hit it again.lol

Rod

SecaucusFats
07-04-2004, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Lordy Fats, if you watch all them when do you have time to shoot /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, I generally watch a video a few times and then put it away. If I find myself having a problem with a particular shot, I go back to a specific part of a tape or tapes, and just review that. That leaves me time to look for more help in my collection of pool books. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SF

woody_968
07-04-2004, 05:28 PM
I have one of Berts tapes and am wanting to get some of the others. I am really interested in his start pattern tapes, so I am glad to hear that some people think they are worth while.

bill190
07-05-2004, 09:26 AM
The problem I have with videos is that my VCR and TV are at home and the pool table is elsewhere. So I forget most of the stuff by the time I get to the table. I've tried taking notes, but there is too much information to write down. I would do better with videos if I could watch them next to a pool table, press stop, then try what is suggested, then watch a little more. One of these days I'll get my own table and be able to do this.

Other than that, I would say all books and videos have something good in them. For example, I've compiled my practice drills from about 10 different books. No *single* book contained a good selection of practice drills, but by extracting the information from all 10, I've come up with a really good set of practice drills.

justbrake
07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
out of all my tapes,dvd's my favorite is mike sigal,I do have jimmy reids,berts,buddy halls,but mike sigal is definetly the best.