PDA

View Full Version : Lightshark! Rackshark!

Leviathan
07-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Couple of moves I've seen recently:

1. Guy would rack for his opponent, then hang the rack on the light fixture. When he hung the rack on the light fixture he'd bang the fixture accidentally (ha!), causing it to swing and wobble. The balls' shadows would swing and wobble, of course, and this made it look like the balls were moving. Very weird effect, and a distraction. Lightshark!

2. Guy made all of his opponents rerack over and over just to see whether he could irritate them. And it worked! One of his opponents threw the rack on the table and told the guy to rack the damn balls himself--so the guy racked them with great care (and no supervision), and made the 9 straight in on the break. Rackshark!

This stuff is comical in a way, but it's pitiful, too. As far as I can see, it's common in all kinds of games, and not just in pool. It's one reason I seldom propose a game with a stranger, and it's one reason I really like the time I spend in solo practice.

AS

Popcorn
07-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Sorry to say, players like Hall, Varner and Kennedy do it all the time. They make you rack over and over for no real reason. If there was really a problem that would be one thing, but it looks more like a move since they only seem to do it when they are behind in a match.

datplayer
07-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I've seen some of the greatest players do this "rerack" crap several times. It discusses me and I wish fans would call them out.

About three years ago in Vegas at the APA Championships, they were having a Pro event, I think Gabriel Invitational. Anyways, Efren Reyes was playing Ian Costello, a real young kid who had just dominated Scott Frost earlier that day. The format was first to 3 sets, race to 5 sets. Reyes won the first two sets decidedly with Ian missing routine shots and runouts. Anyways, the crowd started to cheer him on, hoping to see a closer match. Ian proceeds to get his stroke together and wins the next set and goes up 4-3. Efren then makes a miracle shot, gets the break on the deciding game. All of a sudden Efren has a problem with the rack, even though Sardos have been used all tournament. I swear, he makes Ian rerack 10x, and the kid gets so frustrated he tells Efren to rack it himself. As everyone can predict, Efren makes two balls on the break, runs out, and wins the match.

I don't think anyone in the room cheered for him after that. My friend walked up to him afterwards and said, "That was real chickensh*t." Efren replied, "I'm just the better player and I won the match." Although this is true, I completely lost all respect for Efren that day.

mike_in_iowa
07-04-2004, 03:59 PM
wow, that is the first time I have ever heard anybody say anything bad about Efren.

Mike

DialUp
07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I would only rerack once. If somebody like Nick, Buddy, or Tom, tried to get me to keep reracking, they would be wearing a shiner for the rest of the match.

There is nothing like a good, old fashioned, pool hall fight to keep sharks on their best behavior /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

woody_968
07-04-2004, 05:20 PM
A few years ago we were having a local tourny that some guys from out of town were playing. I had advanced to one place out of the money and was playing one of the road players. He started having me re-rack several times after the first game, I told him to rack them himself and let him rack his balls the whole match. I didnt play well during the match but I really dont think it was anything he had done, I had been up all night and had finally bottomed out. It was funny though, as know one in the building (exept his road buddies) congratulated him after the match, but many congratulated me for keeping my composure.

mike_in_iowa
07-04-2004, 05:46 PM
It seems to me the higher level of play, the more the rack comes into question. When every shot could be your last, you seem to make sure everything is just right. It does seem weird that with a sardo anything could come into question.

Mike

woody_968
07-04-2004, 07:21 PM
True the better the players the more the rack can effect the outcome. But sometimes players will ask for a re-rack do to the smallest gap when everything else is touching. I personally like these type of racks and will make a ball more often with these racks than when everything is frozen. It all depends on if you know what to look for I guess.

Popcorn
07-04-2004, 08:27 PM
You are right, as long as the front three balls are frozen I have no problem breaking the rack. Balls seem to go straight into the corners when things are a little loose.

Chris Cass
07-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Mike,

Believe it or not you can get a $hit rack with a Sardo Gizmo(Troys favorite). I did several racks at the last Open I attended. I didn't notice it till I racked them once myself. The rack looked like it didn't move but the balls were froze behind the head ball. Turns out I racked them slightly higher than the spot meaning the 9 ball was higher than the spot. I am pretty sure once I'm making balls then coming up dry and sounding like a brick wall with no action on the balls. Now before anyone gets the idea it was KM, it wasn't.

Regards,

C.C.~~not disputing Data, just merely pointing out an observation.

Rod
07-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Yep, leave those wing balls a little loose.