PDA

View Full Version : Governing Body..Should there be one

cueball1950
07-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Should there be 1 governing body.ie: Like they have in boxing. If a boxer is suspended in 1 state he cannot box in another. My question is this. If player A is suspended/barred from 1 tour should he be banned from all tours. there was an incident 1 time when player A was barred for a season from tour A, so he said screw them and went and played on tour B. I think if player A is allowed to play on tour B after being suspended from TOUR A, then player A has not nor will he learn his lesson. Therefore if we had 1 governing body that all tours belonged to and went by the rules set up by the Governing body. Then maybe player A would learn his lesson. Do you think it would stop alot of the bickering going on.I have not seen this subject on the forum before so i thought i would see what others think.......................................mike

Chris Cass
07-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Good question Mike,

My friend Jonny K. was barred from entering the Midwest tour along with three others that one tourney. All three didn't show up for their second loser bracket matches. All three had different reasons but Evelyn and Danny barred them till the cal people got their money back. I think it was a stand up way to do things. All three repaid the cal people back. They learned their lessons. Like I said, there were all different reasons. Some stupid, some lazy and some too pi$$ed to play. Bottom line is, when someone puts money on a race horse it should be returned if the horse decides not to run.

Barring from other tour's? I'm not sure but I do know that the tours in our area are closer to where we reside so, traveling to another tour can be costly. Besides, what ever got the person barred from one will most likely find themselves in the same spot somewhere else down the line. There's only so many tours till you'll run out. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.

kenz54
07-05-2004, 06:35 AM
The game of pool would be much more credible with one set of rules imho. One governing body....or at least a collective standard from the different organizations would do that. I would be all for it. (and no rules that would promote slop shots!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
07-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Tough to have anyone involved/in charge of anything who won't have a agenda. Barring people or fining people, I am not so sure about that stuff. Although there needs to always be a basic set of rules, I like the idea that independent promoters can play by their own rules. I like the independent tours. I like the idea I could start a tour and not have some main body telling me what to do or telling players who can or can't play on my tour, that is what would happen.

bill190
07-05-2004, 09:47 AM
I've tried just getting a few small local tournaments to have the same rules. You would not believe the strong opposition I have run into. I guess it boils down to people, different personalities, different playing abilities, and different ethics.

The things "A" players want in a tournament are to the detriment of the lesser skilled players. And vice versa.

Those who like to shark or cheat would not like rules proposed by those who play fair.

And I guess everyone has their pet peeves about how the game should be played or not played. And a lot of these views are contradictory to each other...

dg-in-centralpa
07-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Good question. I like some of the ideas presented here but who would fine/bar say Earl Strickland when he goes off. Would any players have the cajones to tell him he screwed up? I doubt it. To ban someone from all tours would take away that person's ability to make a living.

DG

Popcorn
07-05-2004, 03:20 PM
You just have the tournament by the rules you decide on and don't be asking for everybody's input. You will learn quick what works and what doesn't. If you try to please everybody you will go nuts. I put on a tournament and Mike Sigel gave me a hard time about something, I won't go into details. If he didn't like it he did not have to play and he didn't. After he told me no one will come to the tournament if he didn't play, I just told him to get out and we had a nice tournament. I could care less, I am putting on the tournament, putting up all the guaranteed money and I make the rules. If it is a bust, so be it, as it was, we were packed out every night. You can't let the inmates start running the asylum, they all have agendas and you end up in chaos.

Chris Cass
07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Tough to have anyone involved/in charge of anything who won't have a agenda. Barring people or fining people, I am not so sure about that stuff. Although there needs to always be a basic set of rules, I like the idea that independent promoters can play by their own rules. I like the independent tours. I like the idea I could start a tour and not have some main body telling me what to do or telling players who can or can't play on my tour, that is what would happen. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Popcorn,

I'm with you on this one. I do however like to see the different tour directors work with eachother in scheduling events to allow everyone to have a full field. I am in favor of barring but not in other tours. The reasons would have to be very important. I'm against fining. Barring for a time period is good enough imho.

I also think the tour dirctors let it known publically why and what the barring was for. This covers them lawsuit wise and yes, they can be sued. Also, gets the word out right then and there what is expected. Rules posted and what constitute barring from any event. I think the players should be involved with some things but the basic rules should be known to everyone. Sooner or later even if the guy goes to another tour, things have a way of biting you in the backside. Questioniong a call is one thing. total disrespect of the TD is or should be never allowed and I don't care if your Earl. Not that Earl would ever get pi$$y. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

C.C.