PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question

Rod
07-04-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm going to ask here since I might get a reply quicker. lol
In XP when you move the pointer to a different open window, it comes to the top. Where do I change that feature? Sometimes it's a real pain. There is a window open but I can't get to it unless I minimize the other windows using the task bar. It's like I'ts surrounded and no way to get there. lol

Rod

highsea
07-05-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't use XP, but I'll take a shot at this.

It sounds like you have TweakUI installed. This comes with MS Power Toys. If so......

Open TweakUI from the start menu or run \windows\system32\tweakui.exe

On the mouse tab, uncheck the box at the bottom that says "activation follows mouse (X-mouse)".

-CM

edit: the interface for TweakUI has changed for XP. Expand the mouse options in the left pane, highlight X-mouse, and uncheck the "activation follows mouse" box in the right pane.

Rod
07-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. I have tweakui. lol I just could not remember where that setting was, brain fade. Now if I could just get the upper links bar to stay locked all would be fine. I click lock the tool bars, but after a restart the links disappear. Then I unlock and drag down until the links are visable. Never a problem with that on the old system. If you have any tips, I'm all ears. I sent a reply last night but I must not have hit the send button twice.

Rod

highsea
07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Hmmm. Dunno. I don't use TweakUI. I can just right click in the toolbar area, check the toolbars I want visible, position them where I want'em, lock the toolbars, and they all stay put. I keep the links bar scrunched over to the right side of my google toolbar, so clicking it makes a drop down menu.

You can also put the links bar on the taskbar if you want, it will sit down next to the system tray. Just right click on the taskbar and check links.

-CM

wolfdancer
07-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Casey, I have a couple of small?? problems, that you might be able to point me in the right direction to correct???
I added WinXP to a 30GB hard drive running WinME. It partitioned the disk, and now I have just 3GB to run my XP programs. The ME has errors in it that won't correct, even when I tried a reinstall.
So, I'm fortunate enough to have a big IBM exec,( he weighs over 300 lbs) living next store...and he tried to correct the problem with Partition Magic...which ran through all the steps...then just reverted back to the original partitions...that's problem #1
On another computer, I ended up with 5 virus's which McAffee removed but I can't get on the net..broadband through a router. My ISP tech could only ping me when the computer was shutting down....and had no answers...that one runs WinME...won't let me use system restore, and a reinstall didn't help.
I know less about computers, then I know about pool...and I don't know nuthin 'bout no pool. Any help would be appreciated...but I'm also leaning more to getting a new Dell...and junking these...thanks, jjd

Barbara
07-05-2004, 06:57 PM
I just wish my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 3800) just just stop crapping out on me. It's the third keyboard replacment I've had in four years.

Not to mention the power plug that keeps breaking its connection from its extremely poor design. I've got it taped to keep it straight and not bend, but it'll fail, I know it.

That's also the third one I've bought. Screw that. Next time I get a new laptop, could be an IBM...

Barbara~~~hates poorly designed equipment....

highsea
07-05-2004, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Casey, I have a couple of small?? problems, that you might be able to point me in the right direction to correct???
I added WinXP to a 30GB hard drive running WinME. It partitioned the disk, and now I have just 3GB to run my XP programs. The ME has errors in it that won't correct, even when I tried a reinstall.
So, I'm fortunate enough to have a big IBM exec,( he weighs over 300 lbs) living next store...and he tried to correct the problem with Partition Magic...which ran through all the steps...then just reverted back to the original partitions...that's problem #1
On another computer, I ended up with 5 virus's which McAffee removed but I can't get on the net..broadband through a router. My ISP tech could only ping me when the computer was shutting down....and had no answers...that one runs WinME...won't let me use system restore, and a reinstall didn't help.
I know less about computers, then I know about pool...and I don't know nuthin 'bout no pool. Any help would be appreciated...but I'm also leaning more to getting a new Dell...and junking these...thanks, jjd <hr /></blockquote>
Yipes! Lol, when it rains it pours. haha. OK, this is going to be kinda long.

On the first machine, you have a problem. 3 GB is enough to run XP, as long as you are not loading too many apps, but the apps loaded in ME will not carry over to the XP install. They need to be re-installed into the XP partition separately. Partition Magic probably failed because it was trying to resize 2 partitions with different file systems.

What I would try first, is to remove the XP installation, and revert to the original configuration. Then do an XP upgrade over ME if you can. I don't remember if MS made an upgrade path from ME to XP, so this may not work. But ME sucks, and you don't need it anyway. Back up any important data, address books, favorites, and email before you start, or they will be lost.

If you are set on a dual boot, you need to use partition magic before the XP install, or add another hard drive for the XP installation. The file systems are different, XP uses NTFS and ME uses Fat32. The default installations will not be cross compatible for data and apps. You can set a lowest common denominator file system, but you still have to do the install of the OS and a reinstall of all the apps. Generally more trouble than it's worth. Ditch ME unless you have some hardware that cannot work with XP, like a photo printer that you can't get XP drivers for.

The second computer is a little easier. Disconnect from the Internet and restart the computer in safe mode. (hit F8 when you see the "windows is starting" message, pick safe mode from the menu). Go into Device manager and delete all the networking components,clients, adapters, and protocols, including the ones that are grayed out. Kill everything. Do a complete virus scan. Restart the computer and reinstall the networking components. Install only the NIC driver, the client for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP. Plug back into the router and do a restart.

At this point you should come back up and pick up an IP address from the router. Run WINIPCFG from a command prompt to check. Ping a known server from a command prompt, like your mail server to be sure you have a network connection.

If you get no response, ping the loopback address, 127.0.0.1 to see if TCP/IP is loaded and bound to the adapter. If that fails, look in the device manager at the adapter to see if the device is working properly.

If you get a response from the loopback ping, but no response from the public ping, you may need to get a replacement router from your ISP. You can PM me for my phone # when you get to this point, and I will help troubleshoot it with you. There are some LED's that will give you a clue to what's going on.

You don't mention whether you have DSL or cable. Cable modems usually configure as a bridge, and DSL's usually configure as a router. This is not a hard and fast rule, it varies depending on the ISP and both types can operate in either mode. The fact that your ISP can ping the router during a shutdown indicates that your computer is interfering with the router when it is up and running, more likely with a DSL connection configured as a router.

You don't mention if both computers are connected to the Internet through the router. If they are, and one works and the other doesn't, the problem is not with the router.

I would say you have your work cut out for you. The important thing is to take it one step at a time, and eliminate the variables. If you decide to do a complete reinstall on either system, PM me and I will explain how to kill the disk partition and start from scratch. This is necessary to prevent the registry from being carried over to the new install.

-CM

highsea
07-05-2004, 07:41 PM
That's terrible Barbara! 3 KB's in 4 years, yuck.

Compaq Presario notebooks were notorious for the power plug breaking too. I have an Armada, and the dam thing is bulletproof, but heavy! PITA to carry through the airport, lol It needs it's own cart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-CM

Barbara
07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
CM,

I'm suffering through this last KB - got one in the pocket to install when this one goes really down hill.

Dell is notorious for KB repairs and the power cord breaks and has feedback out the wazoo for feedbacks. And they still don't admit to the problems!! HA!!

You are so smart about computers. Yewozaa!! My hubby was a MS certifiable weenie until they upgraded at work so he's outgraded. I'm just an applications programmer who doesn't know what's going on. Sorry, it's DOD stuff and I'm not in the commercial view.

Barbara~~~but the Navy is loving it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
07-05-2004, 11:15 PM
thanks for your reply about my computer problems....with the help of my neighbor ( he really is a higher-up at IBM )and your ideas, we might be able to resolve the issues.
While I know little about computers, I've been telling folks for years, ME was Bill's little joke on us.
About the ME and XP conflict...I loaned the computer out to my friend, a computer tech, who was practically bed-ridden with kidney disease. He installed XP, and died a few days later....the XP was an upgrade disk, not the complete version...and I don't have the disk....had to go through the coroner's office to get the computer back. Chuck, my neighbor, suspected the two different OS was the problem...he'll be glad to hear why.
I have cable broadband, with a router to network...everything was working fine until I thought there was a problem and ran system restore ( the problem was the cable was down)...that's when my internet problams stated.
I just scrapped McAffee...and installed Norton...which so far has found 321 registry problems and corrected all but 7..it's still checking something...actually optimising my files...so I'll have to wait. I've only got a vague idea what a registry is...but I know "don't go there" Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jjd
Hey, who is this woman, what keeps butting in to dis thread??? lol

Rod
07-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Tweakui isn't messing up the tool bars. It did that before I ever installed it. I just won't stay stuck. I like the links bar exposed, it's real handy. I had it in the task bar but I'm not use to it there and it takes up room. I'm gonig to talk to HP or contact microsoft. There must be a way. Thanks again

Rod

wolfdancer
07-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Barbara, I was going to buy 2 Dell desktops...in the near future, but I see you're having problems with your Dell laptop(s)...what would be your recommendation? (thanks)

crawdaddio
07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Since this has turned into "just ask Highsea", I'll give one a try.
I'm running XP PRO '04 and every time I reboot when my desktop comes up it automatically opens up a folder--ATI, which is in c\program files and is for my video card. It doesn't do anything, it's just annoying, any idea as to getting rid of it? I'm fairly computer literate, but I can't find why this is happening. Thanx for any help.

highsea
07-06-2004, 09:56 AM
David, there are three basic places where Windows loads startup and logon configurations. The first is in the startup folder in the program menu. This is the easiest to check, and if the folder is listed there, just delete the shortcut.

The other 2 places are registry keys. Open regedit and navigate to: Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre nt Version\Run. See if there is a startup key for the folder. If so, delete it.

The second registry key is: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Run. Same instructions, look for a startup key with the folder and delete it if it exists.

If this doesn't help, send me a PM.

-CM

crawdaddio
07-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Problem solved. I just uninstalled and re-installed the ATI driver, and no problem so far. Thanks for the advice, I copied the info you gave me for future reference. So do I just hit start, run (the commands you gave me)?
Thanx again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

crawdaddio
07-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Gotcha /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Thanx again........again.

Rod
07-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Well here is the answer. I found it after numerous searches. That was just bugging me to no end.

Or, try direct download link:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL5097/pv-17688-1/SP24040.exe

[From HP: This update fixes an issue causing a user's customized settings in Internet Explorer to be undone when restarting the PC. Removes AutoTKit from the PC startup process]

Other option is to reset the Toolbar position in the registry using this REG:
http://mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IEToolbar.reg
[Close all browser windows and apply the .REG script]

It sure would save anyone with an HP a lot of greif. Now everything stays exactly where I put it. lol Now on to the last problem. IE does not save the window size after a restart.

Rod

highsea
07-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Good ol HP. Great hardware, crappy software.

Just a suggestion, but if you have a HP scanner, you might want to turn off the auto-loading on startup crap that HP loads. They tend to poll the scanner all the time and cause the system to hang for a few seconds waiting for a reply. Really annoying.

-CM

Rod
07-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I had their printer. XP installed the drivers and it works fine. lol I just solved the problem in IE with windows not holding their size. They would for the session, but not after a restart. I found a link that helped. I must have done it right because it works. With the "double arrows" I minimized to the far upper right corner. Then I maximized with "double arrows" back to the lower left corner. I'd imagine it would hold any size. The best part is it keeps the setting after a restart. The guys at CNET gave me a way and said it never failed to work with anyone. It did with me. No other way held that setting after a restart. Weird Here is the text.

[ QUOTE ]
To keep Windows functionality correct, drag the window into a small position while the minimize button in the top right corner (next to the "X") of the window is selected and drag the window to a large position while the button is in the maximized position. Make sure you perform this procedure one at a time so that Windows will save each setting <hr /></blockquote>

Rod

Mr Ingrate
07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> David, there are three basic places where Windows loads startup and logon configurations. The first is in the startup folder in the program menu. This is the easiest to check, and if the folder is listed there, just delete the shortcut.

The other 2 places are registry keys. Open regedit and navigate to: Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre nt Version\Run. See if there is a startup key for the folder. If so, delete it.

The second registry key is: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Run. Same instructions, look for a startup key with the folder and delete it if it exists.

If this doesn't help, send me a PM.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

There is also a windows program that you can run called msconfig. It will show you the contents of the files that affect your startup and you can disable/enable them right from there.

highsea
07-06-2004, 03:53 PM
I keep forgetting about that one Dave, Win2K doesn't have it. You're right though. That is the easiest way to control startups in XP.

wolfdancer
07-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Casey, I now have "new" problems with my Dell, which had refused to get on the internet, despite my promise of a nice air-cleaning, if it co-operated.
I installed Norton systemworks, and it repaired 321 registry problems, left 7 which mostly had to do with active-x...whatever that is.
So, I'm on a roll, and ready to implement your suggestions...BUT my comp refuses to shut down...and won't start up in safe mode.I had a few error messages like CCAPP caused error in KERNAL.32.DLL (I think the CCAPP is part of Norton Systemworks)
and "unable to synchronize the environment variables in the windows registry, with the environment variables in the legacy files"
AUTO EXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
Is there any hope for this one?
I should be getting a full copy of Win 98, in the next few days....thought I'd reformat...and start from scratch???
I think though I need to save the drivers first, to a floppy???

highsea
07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
This is the ME/XP machine, right?

The CCAPP problem is caused by Norton. To fix it, you need to do a live update. Since you cannot get online, here is a workaround to the shutdown problem:

Click Start, and then click Log Off.
Click Switch User.
Click Turn off computername.
Click Turn Off or click Restart.
At the prompt that warns that other people are logged on to this computer, click Yes.

You may have to remove Norton until you can get connected to the Net.

The other problem with the legacy startup files is easy to fix. Open the files in Notepad and cut and paste the contents into a PM and send it to me. I will tell you which lines to rem out.

As far as reloading the OS, do you have the original CD's from Dell? That would be the best way to do it, as the drivers will all load when you do the restore.

-CM