PDA

View Full Version : Ebdon Is New Embassy World Snooker Champion

05-07-2002, 03:42 AM
England's Peter Ebdon won the Embassy World Snooker Championship at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England, yesterday, when he defeated Scotland's seven-times champion Stephen Hendry in a terrific final frame shoot-out 18-17, to lift the title for the first time and with it pocket the first prize of $377,000.

Alan Morris.
SnookerUSA.com - the Official Website of the United States Snooker Association.
http://www.snookerusa.com/

Rod
05-07-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks Alan, I really enjoyed the matches. Unfortunately I was not able to watch all of the final frames. I sensed the match changing direction especially after that, lucky roll as we americans would call it, in the 12th frame. Hendry just didn't seem at ease, struggling a bit. Ebdon however in the 13th frame I believe, made a great break out comming off the end rail after potting the black and into the rack. It bounced after hitting the rail with a lot of top. So much so that the cue ball come very near following into the corner pocket. He hit that with a lot of force, similar to a 14-1 break. The announcer, not Steve Davis, seemed confused as to what made that happen, but to me it was obvious.
That was the next to last frame I was able to watch.

Congratulations to Peter Ebdon, what a great player. It wouldn't be fair to Hendry and others though if I didn't include them in that categorie.
For anyone that did not get to watch, you truly missed the champions clinic of how to play Snooker.

MikeM
05-07-2002, 03:27 PM
$377,000 - WOW. How many nine ball World Championships would one have to win to pocket that much?

MM

Rod
05-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Quote Mike, $377,000 - WOW. How many nine ball World Championships would one have to win to pocket that much?"

I don't know Mike, but the worlds championship Efren won paid less than half that amount. It was or was considered the one of the largest payout ever. But of course that's pool, Snooker Championships always pay high, especially this one. And to think they did it all without a Sardo tight rack or Predator shafts!!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Those little short ferrules with mushromed tips work pretty good, of course I think it was the operator.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Was that US Dollars or Euro Dollars?

cheesemouse
05-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Rod,
I saw a couple close ups on those mushroomed tips, hey, what is that all about anyway. Do you know why or how they get that way. Obviously they like that but holy cow!!

Ken
05-07-2002, 08:51 PM
I didn't get to see any of the snooker. Every time I tried to get it from home my computer crashed. The one time I connected at the library with a fast connection they seemed to be doing a wrapup and I never saw a ball move. I did read the description of some of the games at the website. It seems they had a race to 18 that went hill-hill. The games (frames?) seemed to last around 15 minutes. Each game seemed to feature safties, runs that did not end the game, difficult shots and considerable uncertainty as to who would win.

Snooker seems to be a game that has drama, excitement and uncertainty as to the eventual winner. Is there a pool game that can boast of those qualities? Let's see. Nine ball: offensive break and if the cue ball stays near the center of the table and a ball is made the breaker proabably runs out (dull). If no ball is made the opponent probably runs out (dull). If a ball is made and the breaker is snookered there's a push and safeties (somewhat interesting, but exciting? not really). So when does a game of nine ball become interesting? When someone gets SNOOKERED. There is no game played on a pool table that has the same qualities that seem to make snooker an interesting game to watch. How about straight pool? The breaker probably leaves a ball out that is not too difficult and a run starts. If the player is any good he runs out the game (an hour later) or plays a saftey (dull). Once I see the break I can predict what will happen in either nine ball or straight pool. Sure, there is the occassional surprise but for the most part it is DULL. Little wonder that nobody wants to put it on TV.

One pocket and banks are interesting pool games but there's not enough action in a one pocket game to keep a TV audience interested for hours. There are too many misses in banks to keep an audience interested. Maybe a series of straight pool games to 50 with 3 inch pockets would be interesting. A long shot would be a gamble and there would be misses. No telling who might win. Who is going to put up over $300,000 to see pool games that are so dull and predictable?
Ken in CT

Rod
05-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Cheese, I imagine they get that way from play. I'm not even going to guess as to why they like that, but I'm sure there must be a logical reason. Maybe Alan or Tony will respond.

JohnnyP
05-07-2002, 10:58 PM
I also want to know why they let their tips get mushroomed. Maybe more contact area for English? They can really put it on when they want to. The link to the highlights showed some full table draw shots. Yow.

Shirley and I played hooky this afternoon and went to Danny K's. All she wants to play is eight ball. But, like they say, it's all good.

Robin Dodson showed up for the nightly nine ball tourney. Stuck around for a while to watch. Not ready for her yet.

#### leonard
05-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Mike the last I had heard Stephen Hendry had won over 12,000,000 lbs playing Snooker. That translates into nearly 20,000,000 million American. That means he has won more money than all the poolplayers that ever won a tournament in the USof A. Ronnie O'Sullivan won 147,000 lbs for running 147 last rear in under 6 minutes. Translated into numbers in 360 seconds he made 220,000 or $611 a second. ####