PDA

View Full Version : New Game?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-05-2004, 12:28 PM
I had an interesting tournament format proposed yesterday.

What if there were a 9 ball tournament where the only added rule for the game was "NO CHALK"?

The implications would be interesting to say the least.

I could imagine players going crazy by just interrupting their preshot routine by not being able to use chalk.

I've played entire games without using chalk (proposition games) this does change your game a lot.

Thoughts?

woody_968
07-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I think it would be frustrating, errr, I mean interesting /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Truth be told I would think it would give an even bigger advantage to the more advanced players. In most cases the better players already stay closer to the center of the cueball, which is what you would have to do to play under these conditions. It could actually help some people, forcing them to hit more center ball shots they may find out how much you can do without all the english everyone tries to use.

Chris Cass
07-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi Tom,

I could see it now. Every shot they'd be roughing up the tip. You'ld have to have a tip guy there for the end of the tourney. Someone might even be there to pickup all the broken shafts too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif How bout a Ronnie Allen tourney where everyone has to shoot one handed? LOL

Regards,

C.C.

socrates
07-06-2004, 06:40 AM
One of my instructors, to point out how I did not have my brain properly engaged, took the chalk off of my cue. He basically said I was using my knowledge of how to move the cue ball to overcome my inability or unwillingness to think. I played for over two hours and could not run four balls in rotation.

Since then I periodically will practice with no chalk. To me it really forces you to start leaving bigger angles on your shots so that the position play to the next ball will take more of a natural route.

In any event if someone has not tried this I think they will find it eye opening.

Cheers,

Troy
07-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Sure, and shaft only, holding a roll of nickels..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>grin: How bout a Ronnie Allen tourney where everyone has to shoot one handed? LOL

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
A chalk-less tourney won't fly. Might be a fun bar bet while drinking Buds with the buds though.

The only time I've ever played for any length of time without chalk is when I've shot with the butt end of the cue. I've played entire games like this on bar tables just to show a mouthy acquantaince he has no game.

I used to practice on occasion years ago by only shooting with a mechanical bridge. From this I learned to move the cue without using a lot of English; not as extreme as not using any chalk but perhaps more beneficial.

#### leonard
07-07-2004, 05:27 AM
There was an oldtime pool hustler who played without chalk. He would play placing the cueball in his mouth and lean over the table and drop the cueball on the object ball and pocket the ball. He would run the game out from the break by leaning over and pocketing the end ball and breaking the rack. He would save that move till the final game.####