PDA

View Full Version : The true advantages of Straight Pool...

woody_968
07-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Over the last few months I have taken up straight pool, and gotta say I love this game! But what I would like to hear from those of you that play is why it helps people play their other games better.

I was always told that it was good because you had to know how to bank, carom, combo, read clusters, and so on. This is true, but one of the things I found it told me first about my game is that my position play is #$%@ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Being mainly a nineball player I thought I played decent postion, until I played 14.1! This shows flaws like no other game.

The other thing I noticed is you feel more presure and are more focused on every shot. Playing nineball, especially against someone you dont think will run out, you might feel like you can miss once in a while and still win the game. But in straight pool every ball counts the same, and when you hang a ball with 13 other balls in the open it feels worse than any 7ball I have ever dogged.

So for me its stronger position play and concentration. Anyone else have a reason they like straight pool?

Chris Cass
07-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Woody,

I can post on this subject till the cows come home. I don't have much time today so I'll put it in a nutshell.

You'll get into the zone more often with straight pool than any other game.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
07-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Yup! And I also forgot to mention how seeing the patterns of the table!

cueball1950
07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
an even easier nut shell would be because 14.1, straight pool is the original game and the 1 that all other games are derived of. that is the way it was described to me several years ago. i was told to simply see and learn the patterns. this person also told me that 1 should not miss as the mind will never miss the shot. the person ahooting the shot will miss it. so learn the patterns....mike

Malice
07-05-2004, 11:06 PM
You certainly deal with more clusters, and more congestion. Often the shots are more delicate and precise.

In 9-ball, after you make a few, it's typically straightforward what you need to do to end the game. In 14.1 that's not a given.

14.1 sure gets you thinking more long-term. When you play a total chump in 9-ball, you may get lax. In 14.1, after a while you want to strive for a higher run total than you've ever done.

cueball1950
07-05-2004, 11:28 PM
the only thing i will say is what my mentor, Eddie White, once told me. stop trying for high runs. concentrate several balls ahead. concentrate on what you are doing and the runs will come. when you try to always run balls is when you get into trouble. And always whenever you can practice playing for break shots to your strong side. (at the head string facing the table that would be the left side for righties and the right side for lefties.) that way you usually don't have to shoot long break shots and reach to far and can usually reach the cueball more readidly from the side.God. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifall this knowledge i think i know is starting to scare me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif..lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif also always try to find ways to get back in line if you get out of line. some of these things can be practiced. that is what made Mike Zuglan such a good 14.1 player. he could always move the cueball to get back in line when he got into trouble.............mike

shoutout33
07-06-2004, 05:26 AM
I'd definitely want to learn how to play 14.1 as well, but I LOVE one-pocket so much it's pathetic! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes, 14.1 has some clusters, that's true, but nothing, IMHO, compared to one-pocket! Heck! If one-pocket had a middle name, that'd be it! I've seen some matches in one-pocket where the balls were around the rack area for almost half the game! LOL! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel I'd like 14.1, because of the position aspects as well as having to really plan ahead in your inning. I mean, you never really know how your going to attack those balls each re-rack. What really messes my head up is how you have to set up your last ball and make it to break up the new rack. Hurts my head just thinking about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daviddjmp
07-06-2004, 10:50 AM
I love 14.1 because it requires the most prolonged concentration of any game. Just getting that mental thing down is extremely difficult and cathartic when you are successful. I use strong side break shots and try to then run the table without moving any ball once they are open. 14.1 teaches you to play pinpoint position, as a few millimeters out of line can render you safe. There is much more penalty for a missed shot than in any other game, so missing on an open table is a disaster, where in 9 ball your opponent has to have position on the ball you must missed. I play in a 14.1 league and we have around twenty players who all show up to play 14.1. CC's statement about being in the zone are correct, and although I am working on having it happen more, it seems like it happens when it wants to. I have been there twice in the last month or so, and it feels great. I practice this game exclusively, and it helps a lot for my 8-Ball league play. When I got back into pool a year ago after not playing for 15 years, I noticed no one was playing straight pool anymore. But, since that is all I practice aside from some drills, I have had many players come up and ask for a game. I would love to see it become popular again like it was in the '60s-

dmgwalsh
07-06-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm in a straight pool league, too, but I don't play very well, yet. Last night I got my head handed to me by George Fels. Not that I'm a masochist, but it was still pretty enjoyable watching him get pinpoint shape, good break shots, slowly methodically taking racks apart. I felt like I was reading one of his books. It gives me something to aspire to.

Anyway, glad to see there are some people keeping it alive.
Fels said he had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the pool hall, but none of the pool halls close to him have any straight leagues. It would be nice to see it get a little more popular.

woody_968
07-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I knew you had that match comming up, was wondering how it went. That would be great to get to play against someone of his standing, even if I had to sit most of the time.

We have a local player here (doesnt get to play much anymore) that is/was pro level. I would play straight with him any time I could. People would say they cant stand to set and watch him run balls all that time, and cant understand how I could enjoy it. But its all part of the learning proccess IMO.

dmgwalsh
07-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Woodman:
I think that package is just about ready to go. D

woody_968
07-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Great, my other one should be shipping today /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ill let ya know when I get it.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-07-2004, 06:01 AM
I love straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I don't know why. I guess I just like to watch the balls go in the holes.

One thing nobody mentioned is after playing 14.1 on a 9-foot table, playing 8-ball on a bar table seems, dare I say, easy /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif . The only time I ever ran back-to-back racks of 8-ball was right after I had played a 2 hour 14.1 match. I was in stroke.

bill190
07-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I sure learned to break up clusters after playing just a little 14.1. I also learned to look at a large cluster of balls (say 6 or more) and notice combo/carom shots.

I use what I have learned when playing 8-ball to select shots which will also break up my clusters. And I am getting pretty good at breaking out only my balls while leaving my opponent's balls clustered. I actually like it when someone breaks for 8-ball and only breaks out 4 balls, leaving the rest clustered. I have fun picking off my balls a few at a time, etc. Many of my opponents ask if they should break again. I say no way, let's play it like it is...!