PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ball

Ali_O
07-05-2004, 03:49 PM
It's been a while since i played pool. I am having trouble aiming. I am very confused on how to aim. Some people say to aim the center of the cue ball to the point where the OB needs to be hit in order to travel to the desired location. Others say to aim the center of the CB about an inch from the point where the OB needs to be hit in order for it to go where you want it to go. I'm confused...

It's very irritating when I miss easy shots. Could anyone help me? <font color="black"> </font color>

Leviathan
07-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Greetings, Ali. I suggest you visit this website to view an instructional clip:

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-1.htm

Good luck.

AS

1Time
07-06-2004, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ali_O:</font><hr> It's very irritating when I miss easy shots. Could anyone help me? <font color="black"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, if you're ever in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SecaucusFats
07-06-2004, 09:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ali_O:</font><hr> It's been a while since i played pool. I am having trouble aiming. I am very confused on how to aim. Some people say to aim the center of the cue ball to the point where the OB needs to be hit in order to travel to the desired location. Others say to aim the center of the CB about an inch from the point where the OB needs to be hit in order for it to go where you want it to go. I'm confused...

It's very irritating when I miss easy shots. Could anyone help me? <font color="black"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Assuming that your grip, stance, stroke and alignment are fundamentally sound..(I suspect they may not be) then I would suggest you buy an Elephant Balls "Ghost Ball Aim Trainer" and get practicing.

When lining up a shot using ghost ball, first imagine a line which extends from the back of the pocket and straight thru the object ball. Where this line emerges on theother (cue ball)side of the object ball is the contact point. The contact point is the precise point on the ball which must be struck in order to send the o.b. down the imaginary line to the pocket. However the contact point is not the aiming point. Due to the spherical nature of the balls, if you aim the center of the cueball at the contact point, you will never hit it. Place a ball right up against the o.b., so that it rests contacting the point of contact exactly in the space that the cueball must occupy when you execute the shot. Remove this other ball and shoot the cueball (no english)to occupy the exact same spot previously occupied by the other ball.

Hope this helps.

SF

Chris Cass
07-07-2004, 12:09 AM
There's point of aim and then there's point of contact. Look up Hal Houle on RSB. He has an aiming sys for you that's cut and dry.

Regards,

C.C.

Bob_Jewett
07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ali_O:</font><hr>Some people say to aim the center of the cue ball to the point where the OB needs to be hit in order to travel to the desired location. <hr /></blockquote>
I think it is important for you to develop your own understanding of aiming, and not rely on what people tell you. For example, a little time with scale drawings or even working through examples on the table would quickly show that the above aiming system is pitiful BS. It is only necessary to know that when the cue ball arrives at the object ball, the line joining their centers should be pointed at the pocket, or pretty close. I say, "pretty close" because there is a phenomenon called "throw" which drags the object ball slightly off that line depending on exactly what the cue ball is doing.

Books have good explanations with diagrams of how to aim. Get books by Robert Byrne, Phil Capelle, George Fels, Arthur Cranfield ... Book stores like Borders now seem to carry five or six good basic books on how to play pool.

An alternative to understanding is brute force repetition, which is the way a lot of players learn.

bluewolf
07-08-2004, 01:26 PM
While some have had some initial success with this, the only thing that has really helped my aiming is to keep shooting balls. I do look at where the imaginary line would come through the center of the pocket or the left or right part of the pocket, depending on getting on the next shot , through the center of the ob, and attempt to strike it with the cb,, taking into consideration, deflection, swerve and contact induced throw, speed of cloth, humidity etc etc etc.

Only hitting balls really helps me to learn all of those factors (and any others I forgot about) and to have any degree of repeatable success. And I am way snort of potting one million balls so still have quite a ways to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Popcorn
07-08-2004, 02:02 PM
That is true but to repeat success you need to know how you achieved it. Trial and error will produce a given result but you have to determine what just happened for it to be of any value. Otherwise it remains chance.

bluewolf
07-08-2004, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That is true but to repeat success you need to know how you achieved it. Trial and error will produce a given result but you have to determine what just happened for it to be of any value. Otherwise it remains chance. <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. I do have people check my stroke, my eye patterns on a regular basis.If I am not hitting a particular shot on a regular basis, I do ask about this to see if it is lack of experience or something like a small stroke glitch. When I am shooting, I always like to keep my fundamentals in mind. I did not get to play pool for about three months and when I went back to it, my stroke was way off. It took practice and the observations of others for me to get it back in line. Now, I have gotten better in potting, but lots more to learn in that and in the other things like shape also.

So, I believe very much in time on the table, but doing it with concentration, effort,and not just slopping them around.

Laura